Music publishers reportedly close to cloud streaming deal with Apple

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
There is little to separate music publishers and Apple from striking a deal to allow music to be streamed through a new iTunes cloud service, a new report claims.

Officials in the music business are now hopeful that Apple will have all of the licenses it needs to launch its cloud-based streaming service at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in early June, Greg Sandoval of CNet reported Tuesday.

"Negotiations between Apple and music publishers have begun in earnest only recently but the amount of money that separates the two sides from reaching a deal is relatively small, according to two sources with knowledge of the talks," Sandoval wrote. "That said, these are cloud-licensing contracts, which are new and complex and there's still several ways Apple's service could be delayed, insiders say."

Talks have progressed because music industry insiders are said to be hopeful that a cloud streaming service, which would allow users to access their music from any Internet-connected device, will boost sagging music sales. This way, users would be able to listen to a large library of tracks without having to sync songs to various devices.

Apple has been signing deals with labels at a blistering pace, as agreements with Sony and EMI reportedly reached last week. Those deals followed an agreement with Warner, leaving only Universal Music Group as the lone holdout of the major record labels.

While the labels are a necessary part of the dealmaking process, so too are the music publishers, who must also agree with Apple for such a service to launch. Last week, it was said that the publishers had just entered into negotiations with Apple.

Apple's approach is far different from rivals Amazon and Google, both of which launched their own cloud-based streaming services without any record industry cooperation. The services from Amazon and Google rely on users uploading their own music libraries, while Apple's service is expected to stream files without the need to upload first.

Last week, AppleInsider discovered a patent application from Apple that could reveal the company's unique plans for the still-unannounced streaming service. The proposed invention would store snippets of songs on a mobile device like an iPhone, allowing a track to begin playing instantly without a need to wait for buffering over the Internet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    You know what would help sagging sales? Keeping the price point at $0.99
  • Reply 2 of 17
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Who cares.

Apple should be working on a few much more important things...

1. Graphic drivers for Snow Leopard that bring us up to 2008 standards.

2. Printer drivers that actually work so your printer prints things.

I imagine sales will skyrocket if Apple can find a way to make those 2 things happen.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Who cares.

I imagine sales will skyrocket if Apple can find a way to make those 2 things happen.

Just a hunch, but the staff that work on inking deals with labels aren?t the same staff that write graphic and printer drivers.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Tell that to the labels, not Apple. Apple can't tell them to piss off anymore. Since most of their contracts are up and are now month to month, any label Apple pisses off can pull all their content. They're not likely to due to money, but it's something that Apple no longer controls.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Who cares.

"Jayne, your mouth's talking. Might want to look to that."
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mbarriaultmbarriault Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Who cares.

While I don't intend on keeping up the derailment, you might be interested to know that, apparently, Lion's OpenGL stack was completely rewritten, supporting 3.2 with an easier upgrade path to 4.0.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Who cares.

Seems like you are a troll trainee. You don't post much but your posts are almost always a complaint. I am putting you on my ignore list now as you never add anything relevant to the discussion.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Seems like you are a troll trainee. You don't post much but your posts are almost always a complaint. I am putting you on my ignore list now as you never add anything relevant to the discussion.

How does putting people on the ignore list make a difference? Their comments come up again as soon as someone replies to them like you just did. There is only one way to stop trolls (see below).

Love the graphic Tallest Skil

Now, where were we? Oh yes, streaming music... errr... no comment \
  • Reply 9 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Apple has little to gain or lose from the iTunes prices, other than for the indirect benefit that it helps sell hardware. Its iTunes profits are a rounding error in the larger scheme of things.

This is an issue with the record labels.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Jayne, your mouth's talking. Might want to look to that."

Genius.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    It seems to me that no one was happier when Amazon, and then Google, announced their cloud music products, than Apple.

I don't want to be the labels bargaining against Apple right now.

LabeL rep: "No you can't do that".

Apple rep: "Fine. We will just go ahead and do it the way Amazon and Google are doing it. For free".
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Who cares.

I should be working on a few much more important things, such as:

1. Point at your post

2. Laugh

I imagine the lulz will skyrocket.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So do you think their MobileMe/iCloud will be demoed at WWDC in two weeks?

PS: Love the image and Firefly reference, Tallest Skil.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Who cares.

No specific issues then - which printer can't you print to? Who at Apple have you spoken to for help? What's wrong with the graphic drivers? What can't you do on your mac that the rest of us can? - i'd imagine a majority of mac users aren't experiencing these issues or we'd have heard about it.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

No specific issues then - which printer can't you print to? Who at Apple have you spoken to for help? What's wrong with the graphic drivers? What can't you do on your mac that the rest of us can? - i'd imagine a majority of mac users aren't experiencing these issues or we'd have heard about it.

"I applied the cortical electrodes, but was unable to get a neural reaction, I guess..."
  • Reply 16 of 17
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"I applied the cortical electrodes, but was unable to get a neural reaction, I guess..."

Tallest Skill -- You're really on your game today ... props!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    What worries me is what Apple might have had to give up to get approval from the record companies. Stories on the net are Amazon and Google couldn't come to terms at least partially because the labels wanted to prevent users from uploading their own music. They wanted all files tracked and only songs that can be traced back to a legal sale allowed to be uploaded. But if I cannot listen to songs I have ripped from my CDs then a cloud music player becomes pretty worthless to me.