Amazon takes on Apple's Mac App Store with its own 'Mac Download Store'

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Amazon on Thursday launched the "Mac Download Store," a new software destination for Mac OS X system that takes on Apple's own App Store by offering unique products, including Office for Mac.

Amazon's new Mac Download Store launched Thursday with more than 250 titles, including software related to productivity, finance and games, as noted by The Loop. The new digital storefront even offers applications that are not found in Apple's Mac App Store, including the Office for Mac suite.

"Mac Download store features an install-less download process where the customer gets just the product without any unwanted extras, making for faster and easier purchases," Amazon said, promoting the new service. "Plus, downloads are conveniently backed up in your Games and Software Library where you can download an unlimited number of times for personal use."

In addition to Office, titles available on the Mac Download StoreMac Download Store include QuickBooks, H&R Block, Roxio Toast 10 Titanium, BioShock, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Amazon is also offering a $5 discount on software purchased through the store through June 1 with the code "SAVE5MAC."

The storefront stands in opposition to Apple's own Mac App Store, which is currently available for users of Mac OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard and later versions. The Mac App Store will also be an integral part of Apple's forthcoming operating system update, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Amazon's new storefront is similar to the approach the retailer took with its own "Appstore for Android," which launched in March. Though the Appstore for Android, Amazon sells applications for Android-powered mobile devices, and competes with Google's own official Android Market.

Amazon has been very aggressive against its competitors with low prices, sometimes at a loss to bring in customers and generate interest. This week, Amazon sold Lady Gaga's new album "Born This Way" for just 99 cents in an effort to push its own Cloud Drive music streaming service, and take sales away from Apple's market-leading iTunes Music Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This came out of nowhere. And how did they get Microsoft? I want Apple to have Microsoft.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Amazon on Thursday launched the "Mac Download Store," a new software destination for Mac OS X system that takes on Apple's own App Store by offering unique products, including Office for Mac.

Amazon's new Mac Download Store launched Thursday with more than 250 titles, including software related to productivity, finance and games, as noted by The Loop. The new digital storefront even offers applications that are not found in Apple's Mac App Store, including the Office for Mac suite.

Although the idea of a "Store" I guess is new, Amazon has been doing commercial Macintosh software downloads for a while. I bought Turbotax from them last year and got the electronic version because it saved me $10. I think its a great idea if we get savings out of it!
  • Reply 3 of 74
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Its a rebrand more than something new, but just one more example of Amazon creeping into this whole ecosystem that Apple has dominated for so long. They have music, tv, movies, books, audiobooks, an app store and most definitely new tablets and maybe even new phones in the future.

Amazon, quite honestly, has become the first real competitor to Apple that targets the entire ecosystem first, rather than push out hardware with nothing else to back it up. Very interesting =).
  • Reply 4 of 74
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This came out of nowhere. And how did they get Microsoft? I want Apple to have Microsoft.

I'd hazard a guess they made a special deal with them and don't get any cut of their sales.

Anyway, great news. This can only be good for consumers.

*goes off to install Amazon app store on his Mac*
  • Reply 5 of 74
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Its a rebrand more than something new, but just one more example of Amazon creeping into this whole ecosystem that Apple has dominated for so long. They have music, tv, movies, books, audiobooks, an app store and most definitely new tablets and maybe even new phones in the future.

Amazon, quite honestly, has become the first real competitor to Apple that targets the entire ecosystem first, rather than push out hardware with nothing else to back it up. Very interesting =).

And they have an advantage in that they can be (for the moment) open to all OS's for PC's, where as apple will obviously never have a Windows software DL store.

With the kind of volume that they could generate that way, its hard to imagine them not being able to beat apple in terms of pricing for software.

As far as execution, we will see, but I can't imagine there will be much of a differential there.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Build the ecosystem first, hardware later? Could prove interesting as they seem to be building it the right.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Who would have thought Amazon would be such a big thorn in Apple’s side? Of all their hats this seems like the least effective venture but if they can get Mac App Store titles then I think it could work. What I don’t understand is why Amazon doesn’t have a Windows app store.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    jawcljawcl Posts: 10member
    I tipped you guys a while ago about this, what ever happened to that?
  • Reply 9 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Do they charge sales tax? I think Apple is now charging sales tax on apps but not music. Anyone have the details? I'm in California.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Build the ecosystem first, hardware later? Could prove interesting as they seem to be building it the right.

Would have to agree. The nook and maybe one day the kindle look like viable competitors to the iPad to me. The nook, in particular, offers an app store that's not full of junk and has a great price.

While I don't think those kinds of tablets will replace the iPad, I think they can survive and be successful despite the iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    fyngyrzfyngyrz Posts: 61member
    If Amazon does this right -- doesn't limit it to Snow Leopard / Lion, etc., allows incremental/OEM upgrades instead of making us download the entire app+installer again from the store just to fix a bug -- they could do well here.

And frankly, as Apple has made such a mess of it and has been utterly unresponsive to Leopard users... I hope Amazon really makes some inroads. I'll be happy to support them. I'm really kind of peeved at Apple, frankly; first the horribly incompatible Snow Leopard, then the jump away from Leopard users, then the SL-only app store, now Lion wants, apparently, to turn my desktop into my iPad with modal(!) full-screen applications... lately, Apple's really left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

Luckily, Leopard is a pretty good release, and I feel no pressure to upgrade. And as a developer, Leopard is a better target than Snow Leopard or Lion; you get a much broader customer base.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    It's just another way to buy and install software. More convenient than buying the CD, but the future upgrades are not identified and delivered to you like on the Mac App Store. I think it'll be a popular store, but not as robust as on the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They have Microsoft, because they have no rules. Microsoft can be in the Mac App Store if they play by the rules, as can Adobe. They just don't want to (so far).
  • Reply 14 of 74
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    This is only a good thing for Apple users. What's the first thing people mention as to why they don't buy a Mac? Lack of software. Whether that is true or not, especially today, the perception is still there. Part and parcel of changing that perception is not just to get more software out there, but to make it more visible. People seeing an entire Amazon business line dedicated to Mac software will help that.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

If Amazon does this right -- doesn't limit it to Snow Leopard / Lion, etc., allows incremental/OEM upgrades instead of making us download the entire app+installer again from the store just to fix a bug -- they could do well here.

And frankly, as Apple has made such a mess of it and has been utterly unresponsive to Leopard users... I hope Amazon really makes some inroads. I'll be happy to support them. I'm really kind of peeved at Apple, frankly; first the horribly incompatible Snow Leopard, then the jump away from Leopard users, then the SL-only app store, now Lion wants, apparently, to turn my desktop into my iPad with modal(!) full-screen applications... lately, Apple's really left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

Luckily, Leopard is a pretty good release, and I feel no pressure to upgrade. And as a developer, Leopard is a better target than Snow Leopard or Lion; you get a much broader customer base.

This entire post sounds like raving nonsense to me. Are you sure you are a developer? I'm thinking you just play one in your dream life.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    It's not an "App Store" in the way that most Apple users think of it: it's only a download site, like CNet. This doesn't in almost any way make any competition to Apple's Mac App store.
    • No app that serves as a central repository, just a webpage

• No central automatic updating system

• Horrible interface for browsing: only good if you come in knowing what you want

• Downloads are standard install packages such as you can get on any developer's website, not simple "all-in-ones"

• Did I mention ugly?

• If I'm not buying from the Mac App Store with its advantages, it's because it's either not available there or I can get it very cheaply when in a bundle. Neither of these times will I think of going to Amazon.

Looks like fail to me.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

They have Microsoft, because they have no rules. Microsoft can be in the Mac App Store if they play by the rules, as can Adobe. They just don't want to (so far).

Well, to be fair, they probably simply have different rules. Microsoft can be in the Mac App Store if Apple updates their rules to allow them, as can Adobe. They just don't want to (so far).
  • Reply 18 of 74
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

And as a developer, Leopard is a better target than Snow Leopard or Lion; you get a much broader customer base.

This chart would say otherwise:

• Reply 19 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Two home run posts for Smiles77. Nice job.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It's not an "App Store" in the way that most Apple users think of it: it's only a download site, like CNet. This doesn't in almost any way make any competition to Apple's Mac App store.
    • No app that serves as a central repository, just a webpage

• No central automatic updating system

• Horrible interface for browsing: only good if you come in knowing what you want

• Downloads are standard install packages such as you can get on any developer's website, not simple "all-in-ones"

• Did I mention ugly?

• If I'm not buying from the Mac App Store with its advantages, it's because it's either not available there or I can get it very cheaply when in a bundle. Neither of these times will I think of going to Amazon.

Looks like fail to me.

Just got back from their store and you're right. It's not at all like the Mac App store.

Oh well, they have Portal 2 for $30.00.