How do I get rid of the sparkle Plugin that crashes Safari?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Safari keeps crashing on me all the time. It will crash even when I'm not at the Mac.

Finally noticed that it's mentioning that the crash was caused by the sparkle plugin. I can't seem to find any info on how to remove this bugger. Searching the machine, I can't find anything named sparkle in the systems' library folders.

Anyone been able to track this plugin down and remove it?

Would be great if Safari would be more stable but been really unstable for me for the past few months. No problems with Chrome or Firefox.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Are you using ClicktoFlash?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    scott_rscott_r Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Are you using ClicktoFlash?

Yes! Is sparkle part of it?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott_r View Post

Yes! Is sparkle part of it?

No: Sparkle is Flash. Flash crashes Safari. If you have ClickToFlash installed Flash is disabled until you click on it. Which, IRL, you won't feel the need to do very often. Try it, it will seriously reduce the number of crashes.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    scott_rscott_r Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

No: Sparkle is Flash. Flash crashes Safari. If you have ClickToFlash installed Flash is disabled until you click on it. Which, IRL, you won't feel the need to do very often. Try it, it will seriously reduce the number of crashes.

I do have Clicktoflash installed, but still have the crashing issue. So really want to know if there is way to totally clean out all of Safari's plugins or clean install it short of a whole system reinstall. Chrome and Firefox work just fine, but I have on really nice plugin for Safari that I like to use, so would like to clear up this issue. Apple must have a binder full of crash info from me alone, so wish they could fix the problem from their side.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott_r View Post

I do have Clicktoflash installed, but still have the crashing issue. So really want to know if there is way to totally clean out all of Safari's plugins or clean install it short of a whole system reinstall. Chrome and Firefox work just fine, but I have on really nice plugin for Safari that I like to use, so would like to clear up this issue. Apple must have a binder full of crash info from me alone, so wish they could fix the problem from their side.

How could Apple fix a problem with a plugin that they didn't create and have no control over?

Users/you/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

OR

Users/you/Library/Safari

OR

Macintosh HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

To find it.