Apple issues third build of Mac OS X 10.6.8 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday seeded the third build of Mac OS X 10.6.8 to developers, with no known issues.

According to people familiar with the matter, the 1GB download is labeled 10K531. MacStories reports that focus areas for the beta software remain unchanged: Airport, Graphics Drivers, Mac App Store, Networking, QuickTime and VPN.

Thus far, Apple has maintained a weekly release schedule with developer builds of Mac OS X. The first release came two weeks ago, and the second build arrived last week.

It is as yet unclear whether Mac OS X 10.6.8 contains a fix that will find and remove the MAC Defender malware, though Apple may likely release the fix as a standalone security update. The Mac maker promised earlier this week to release an update to Mac OS X that would resolve an issue with phony antivirus software that automatically downloads as a phishing scam looking for users' credit card numbers.

The malicious software first appeared in early May, though one noted security expert has downplayed the threat as being "simply a trick website" rather than a viral attack.

Apple released the latest update to Mac OS X Snow Leopard in March with changes designed to improve the reliability of Back to My Mac, resolve issues when transferring files to SMB Windows Files Sharing servers, and address Mac App Store bugs. Mac OS X 10.6.7 also contained fixes for Thunderbolt MacBook Pros to address "minor FaceTime performance issues" and improve "graphics stability and external display compatibility."

This summer, Apple will launch the next major upgrade to its flagship operating system in the form of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    fusfus Posts: 4member
    Whats the deal with update costs?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    jawcljawcl Posts: 10member
    "No known issues." As in there are none known at the moment, it takes a while to know issues.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fus View Post

Going out on a limb and predicting 10.6.8 will be free for all 10.6.7 factory installs.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Going out on a limb and predicting 10.6.8 will be free for all 10.6.7 factory installs.

That was the joke.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That was the joke.

Was Fus' 3rd post. I couldn't tell if he was serious and I couldn't resist the temptation.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I was assuming the Mac Defender removal would come in the form of "Mac OS X Security Update 2011-??" but it could be 10.6.8 I suppose.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fus View Post

Same as all 10.6.x updates.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    tarugataruga Posts: 8member
    Changes:

?\tEnhance the Mac App Store to get your Mac ready to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion

\t?\tResolve an issue that may cause Preview to unexpectedly quit

\t?\tImprove support for IPv6

\t?\tImprove VPN reliability

\t?\tIdentify and remove known variants of Mac Defender
  • Reply 9 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taruga View Post

Enhance the Mac App Store to get your Mac ready to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion

Well, that tells us we won't have any more Snow Leopard updates, then.

Also that we won't have to buy a disc for Lion, but I've known that since Dev Preview 1.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    The last three or four updates have mentioned focus on Graphics Drivers.

I know they might just be improving their compatibility with graphics cards but come on, Gaming performance should have improved as well?Macs aren't exactly designed for gaming but with Steam releasing games for the Mac now and a few other publishers interested, they should take that into advantage, I'm more than sure that it would boost sales and pave way for even more games on the Mac which would lead to even more sales and then?well you get the point
  • Reply 11 of 18
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the 1GB download ...

Meh...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I was assuming the Mac Defender removal would come in the form of "Mac OS X Security Update 2011-??" but it could be 10.6.8 I suppose.

Or, people could be stop being such morons, not install something they haven't asked for, take the very easy to find app icon, pop in the trash and empty it. Really not hard.

What bothers me is people calling this a virus, or trojan, or malware. It's simply a harmless app installed by idiots which is as easily uninstalled. I do like the irony of it charading as an "anti-virus" tool, when none is needed for the mac.

For the record, no anti-virus software works. All it does it provide a fix for a virus after the damage is done, they provide no protection against new threats, only known ones.

This is an app, you need to install it, to provide a username and password. I can't believe people are this stupid.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Or, people could be stop being such morons, not install something they haven't asked for, take the very easy to find app icon, pop in the trash and empty it. Really not hard.

What bothers me is people calling this a virus, or trojan, or malware. It's simply a harmless app installed by idiots which is as easily uninstalled. I do like the irony of it charading as an "anti-virus" tool, when none is needed for the mac.

For the record, no anti-virus software works. All it does it provide a fix for a virus after the damage is done, they provide no protection against new threats, only known ones.

This is an app, you need to install it, to provide a username and password. I can't believe people are this stupid.

Agree about the fact its not a virus, and that the anti-apple fans have been enjoying blowing this up out of all proportion.

Not fair to call anyone who installed it an idiot. I know several people who found using a pc difficult, and enjoyed life in the mac side. Not everyone that uses a MAC is so 'intelligent', just smart enough to know its a tool, and worse, has been encouraged to not worry about installing stuff, as the MAC "doesn't have viruses"

For the record, antivirus software DOES work for the windows PC.. It stops known threats, that can lurk around for months or years. If it doesn't work, are you suggesting that I remove it from Windows Pc?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Ouch. Guess we can kiss good-bye the idea of buying Lion through the MAS?

Xcode is a 4.5GB download through the MAS
  • Reply 15 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

I think the Lion betas via the MAS have all been under under 4GB, with only the Lion updates through Software Updater floating around 1GB for those with Preview 2 installed.

PS: My Apple Store only allots 5 columns for shelved boxes software. With 8 per column that’s a total of 40 titles. I wonder if Mac OS X Lion will be one of the titles or if they will require all users to buy and DL from MAS. If they do offer Lion on a DVD I’d expect it would be at an increased price due to obvious increased cost to Apple and to push more customers to MAS.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

Oops! sorry. I thought it was 10 GB. (also thought it's like iOS where it updated the whole system). Silly me.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Agree about the fact its not a virus, and that the anti-apple fans have been enjoying blowing this up out of all proportion.

Not fair to call anyone who installed it an idiot. I know several people who found using a pc difficult, and enjoyed life in the mac side. Not everyone that uses a MAC is so 'intelligent', just smart enough to know its a tool, and worse, has been encouraged to not worry about installing stuff, as the MAC "doesn't have viruses"

For the record, antivirus software DOES work for the windows PC.. It stops known threats, that can lurk around for months or years. If it doesn't work, are you suggesting that I remove it from Windows Pc?

Nope, i'm suggesting that the next new virus that comes along will be completely unaffected by the anti-virus software you have installed. Therefore anti-virus software doesn't work. It's like a headache tablet that only works with some headaches. Pretty pointless...
  • Reply 18 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    That looks official to me: Users don’t to wait for a separate security update to defend against this malware. And Lion’s primary upgrade delivery system will the Mac App Store, though that doesn’t exclude the possibility of a DVD option at an increased price point.