iPad with Wi-Fi give a poor satisfaction at Japan

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Tetsuzo Matsumoto, Softbank Mobile Corp. VP, say
Quote:

"Over 80% Customers, who buy "iPad with Wi-Fi" model, are dissatisfied for iPad."

at Wireless Japan Keynote speech.

http://www8.ric.co.jp/expo/wj/detail/X.html#session04

http://twitter.com/#!/matsumotot68/s...75810346770432

This data is so surprising.

But, Softbank Mobile Corp. is The iPhone & iPad exclusive cellular phone carrier in Japan.

So, this data will be true.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    is that you teckstud?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

is that you teckstud?

No it's someone from the Wireless Japan website spreading FUD for whatever reason.

The Twitter link says something about people regretting buying the 3G model because 80% of the time you use it on wifi and when you try to use 3G, it doesn't work well so they won't like the fact that they paid more. Either that or it's Matsumoto who regrets that people aren't buying the 3G model for this reason.

You'd think someone who lives in Japan would be able to read Japanese better than Google.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    In other words, my 3G telcos, you all mostly suck b*lls. Don't blame Apple, iPad or the users when they expose your overcharged garbage networks.

Apparently Japan of all places doesn't have any definite 4G networks yet! For a country that pioneered mobile video calling years ago.

For my iPad2 I made sure I bought the WiFi-only version. I have a 4G (WiMax) MiFi for portability if and when I need it. This 4G WiMax-only telco is new and fairly okay so far. The 3 major 3G telcos in my country, well, I don't think too much of them. The time it takes for the "FTL to spool up" (ie. turn on 3G and get an IP, start streaming data) with 3G is annoying, coverage can be limited, and turning 3G off doubles your battery life so it's usually off.

I'm already paying a nice wad of USD$66 per month for my iPhone4 with 3G data plan, if I'm going to pay for an iPad data plan it sure as heck won't be a 3G one. Thanks to iOS 4.3.3 as well, tethering to my iPhone4 works quite nice and smooth with the iPad, and luckily without any extra charge here.

Bonus1: My 4G WiMax MiFi can be used at home to connect to the Steam network for essential gaming like Portal 2... At home my DSL can't connect to Steam for who knows what reason. Bonus2: Unused data for the 4G plan (USD$22/month for 3.5GB) ROLLS OVER to the next month, it doesn't get reset. Like I said, this 4G telco is new so it could be a honeymoon period at the moment, but I'm not tied to a contract so... works for me for now.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Title of the post should be "Softbank Mobile Corp give a poor satisfaction at Japan".
  • Reply 5 of 6
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Twitter link says something about people regretting buying the 3G model because 80% of the time you use it on wifi and when you try to use 3G, it doesn't work well so they won't like the fact that they paid more.

But isn't that just a re-statement of similar regrets that I have seen --- even on this forum --- that some people regretted the fact that they should have bought a higher capacity wifi-only ipad instead of a lower capacity 3G ipad.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

But isn't that just a re-statement of similar regrets that I have seen --- even on this forum --- that some people regretted the fact that they should have bought a higher capacity wifi-only ipad instead of a lower capacity 3G ipad.

I have no doubt that people regret buying the 3G model but the wording in the original post was suggesting 80% of iPad owners are dissatisfied, which is FUD as the 80% figure doesn't relate to the number of buyers/owners at all.

I'd say 3G does have its uses but mobile networks really need to step up with the performance. If you buy an iPad without 3G, you would similarly be disappointed that you couldn't load Google Maps in the car or download an ebook/magazine/app on the train to work.

Once 4G or LTE takes off, a lot of the problems should disappear but may require a hardware upgrade.