Stacking dvd on top of vcr

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, i know you shouldn't do this , just like you shouldn't stack stereo equipment so that you components don't over heat, but my family doesn't believe this is harmful.

i can't find any info about dvd on top of vcrs specifically but you people try to convince my parents that this is bad, they don't believe me

[ 01-21-2003: Message edited by: burningwheel ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't think it is all that harmful, and I've had stereo components stacked like that for a while.

I WILL say that the one exception to that is your receiver. The amplifier in that unit DOES get VERY warm, and I wouldn't recommend stacking anything on top of it. The receiver itself would get too hot, and the other component probably wouldn't benefit either.

I'd say that VCRs and DVD players don't generate enough heat to make any difference in long-term performance if you stack them away from the receiver.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If there are no cooling vents on the top or bottom I wouldn't worry to much.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>If there are no cooling vents on the top or bottom I wouldn't worry to much.</strong><hr></blockquote>

not convinced of this argument....
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    where did you hear that this is bad?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Well you may worry but I wouldn't.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    where I work there are 3 vcrs stacked on top of each other all running at the same time. Along with about 8 rackmounted computers, and 4 racks full of other electronic equipment and a wall of tvs. The place isn't ventalied extreamly well. Even with everything still on, they produce little heat.

[ 01-22-2003: Message edited by: Dogcow ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    VCRs really never got hot... just not a device that produces a lot of heat.

Most DVD players that I have seen allow to be placed on top of another device and have feet that provide the neccesary airspace below but most recommend leaving space on the sides, back and above.

so, you are fine... dont worry

i have my dvd player on top of my receiver. not the best but it is alright.... my receiver does get very hot, especially when watching a whole movie wih 5.1 blasting but it never seems to get too bad. in the summer we make sure to move the dvd player or something