Apple releases Pages, Keynote and Numbers for iPhone and iPod touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday expanded its iWork productivity software suite to the iPhone and iPod touch, bringing Pages, Keynote and Numbers from the iPad.

Pages, Numbers and Keynote (iTunes links) are now universal applications available for both the iPhone and iPod touch. For those who already purchased any of the iWork applications for the iPad, which are still available for $9.99 each, the software is available as a free update through the iOS App Store.

"Now you can use Keynote, Pages and Numbers on iPhone and iPod touch to create amazing presentations, documents and spreadsheets right in the palm of your hand," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The incredible Retina display, revolutionary Multi-Touch interface and our powerful software make it easy to create, edit, organize and share all of your documents from iPhone 4 or iPod touch."

Created for the Mac and then completely redesigned for iOS, Keynote, Pages and Numbers allow users to create and share presentations, documents and spreadsheets on the go.

Keynote, Pages and Numbers import and export documents from iWork for Mac and Microsoft Office; print wirelessly using AirPrint; and include Apple-designed themes and templates. All iWork apps now include improved document management with thumbnail images that let users find files quickly, organize them and group them into folders using gestures. From the Tools button in the toolbar, users can share any presentation, document or spreadsheet without leaving the app.

Keynote comes with with animated charts and transitions. Users can play a presentation in Full Screen view on the high-resolution Retina display or connect to a projector or HDTV for a large audience. Available separately, the Keynote Remote app allows an iPhone or iPod touch to control a Keynote presentation on any iOS device or Mac.

Pages takes full advantage of the high-resolution Retina display on iPhone 4 and iPod touch so users can see all the detail of their documents. On the smaller screen of the iPhone and iPod touch, Smart Zoom automatically zooms in to follow the cursor when editing, and zooms back out when finished.

Numbers uses Multi-Touch gestures and an intelligent keyboard to help create spreadsheets with over 250 functions, tables and charts. Just like Pages, Numbers takes advantage of the high-resolution Retina display and Smart Zoom on the iPhone 4 and iPod touch.

Keynote, Pages and Numbers are universal apps that run on iPad and iPad 2, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, and iPod touch (3rd & 4th generation). Keynote, Pages and Numbers are available from the App Store for $9.99 (US) each for new users, or as a free update for existing iWork for iPad customers. Keynote Remote is sold separately via the App Store for 99 cents (US).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I've been waiting for Pages on iPhone.

Yay!
  • Reply 2 of 55
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Not sure how much I'll use it, but a nice upgrade nonetheless. It'll probably function mostly for emergencies for me when I don't have my iPad with me and need to change a few details on a presentation, etc. Adequate syncing is what I'd really like to see implemented stat.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

print wirelessly using AirPrint;

Speaking of AirPrint, is OS X Lion going to have AirPrint functionality built-in for ANY printer (like what was supposed to be introduced in Snow Leopard a few updates ago), or is it still going to be on a per-printer basis (a la with HP's ePrint series)?
  • Reply 4 of 55
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Odd that they would announce this a week before the keynote. How will they introduce an update for the Mac (from '09), or is that still not in the cards?
  • Reply 5 of 55
    was2bewas2be Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Odd that they would announce this a week before the keynote. How will they introduce an update for the Mac (from '09), or is that still not in the cards?

Exactly my thought. I was really hoping for a new version of iWork next week. This makes it less likely. Too bad... iWork is really in need of an overhaul.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Speaking of AirPrint, is OS X Lion going to have AirPrint functionality built-in for ANY printer (like what was supposed to be introduced in Snow Leopard a few updates ago), or is it still going to be on a per-printer basis (a la with HP's ePrint series)?

Does AirPrint require a running computer?
  • Reply 7 of 55
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Yes, the computer must be running
  • Reply 8 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    What, no ad-hoc AirPlay support for Keynote to an AppleTV?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Was2Be View Post

Exactly my thought. I was really hoping for a new version of iWork next week. This makes it less likely. Too bad... iWork is really in need of an overhaul.

Maybe not. Maybe Apple released the iOS update this week so next week, when it introduces iCloud can also introduce and demo the new iWork and iWork.com for Macs. Since iDevices are already networked devices all they real have to allow is access to iCloud for files which may just be a flip of a switch for MobileMe users.

PS: Maybe some coders with too much time on their hands will scour the new iWork for iOS code line by line looking for clues.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

As I understand it there are two ways to use AirPrint. Either a network-capable printer with AirPrint or any printer connected to a networked'PC' with AirPrint installed.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

It was pulled because of a patent dispute and the dispute doesn't look likely to end anytime soon.

So ... no.

On the other hand, I've heard if you search teh Internets you can find a way to enable it for yourself.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Odd that they would announce this a week before the keynote.

I'd say great timing. Next week they'll tell us how to keep documents from the iPad and iPhone in synch. Right now it's kinda pointless to have pages on iPad and iPhone if you can't access the same documents without a hard sync. Hard syncing sucks.

Btw, I don't get the download indication on iPhone. It says buy, even though I bought it for the iPad already.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    ppo69ppo69 Posts: 2member
    It seems that there is still no AirPlay support in this version. It would be so useful! In fact Airplay should be enabled across the board on iPhone, iPad and OS X to allow us to use our big TV as output for whatever we want (Movies, Videoclips, Presentation but also for webbrowsing, playing... etc.)
  • Reply 12 of 55
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Apple on Tuesday expanded its iWork productivity software suite to the iPhone and iPod touch, bringing Pages, Keynote and Numbers from the iPad. ...

I find this kind of disappointing actually. It's a lame update for a bunch of apps that really are in need of some updates.

I was hoping for a serious update to these very apps at the WWDC in consort with the new iCloud, now that's much less likely.

I do *all* my writing in Pages, but I'm almost ready to dump it if they don't update it to a more useable app soon. The first serious word processor for iOS that's actually well designed will likely lure me away. Apple just doesn't seem to want to devote any serious resources to Pages.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    I refuse to buy iWork for iOS until apple offers some sort of wireless file transfer, either dropbox or hopefully this new iCloud that's coming out. Or just enable "Open In" support so you can send your documents to Goodreader or iFiles. You can't do real work without a real file system, and apple refused so make one, but at least Open In would allow you to work around it.

I don't really get this announcement. Who wants to do word processing on their iPhone? The only good this would be is to do some basic stuff on the go away from your iPad, but since it doesn't sync with iPad, what's the point?

All this announcement does is underline the fact that apple STILL hasn't pushed out freaking iWork '11. Do they even care about iWork anymore?
  • Reply 14 of 55
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

On the other hand, I've heard if you search teh Internets you can find a way to enable it for yourself.

Or just buy a real printer driver that can print to anything, like you did before airprint came out.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    "amazing"!
  • Reply 16 of 55
    psjoforspsjofors Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Was2Be View Post

This is really really pathetic. I use iWorks every day. It is better then Office but so buggy and with so poor compatibility with the Office suite (that 95% or more are using) that I'm about to dump the whole thing.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Available separately, the Keynote Remote app allows an iPhone or iPod touch to control a Keynote presentation on any iOS device or Mac.

Really, since when?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    jdlinkjdlink Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Btw, I don't get the download indication on iPhone. It says buy, even though I bought it for the iPad already.

I had to resync about three times but it finally showed up on my iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    I use a Touch. Went to my daughter's house where she had an HP wireless printer. It worked like a charm. No computer needed. Just located the printer on the App.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I refuse to buy iWork for iOS until apple offers some sort of wireless file transfer, either dropbox or hopefully this new iCloud that's coming out. Or just enable "Open In" support so you can send your documents to Goodreader or iFiles. You can't do real work without a real file system, and apple refused so make one, but at least Open In would allow you to work around it.

I don't really get this announcement. Who wants to do word processing on their iPhone? The only good this would be is to do some basic stuff on the go away from your iPad, but since it doesn't sync with iPad, what's the point?

All this announcement does is underline the fact that apple STILL hasn't pushed out freaking iWork '11. Do they even care about iWork anymore?

Evidently not seeing as how they just delivered iWork on iPhone/iPod Touch <sarcasm>

Lion is going to have WebDAV as a peer filesharing service. We should be able to drop files into a folder and via WebDAV pick it up from any iOS device running the proper OS.

It's not always about doing word processing on a phone it's about viewing the files you need.