Apple rumored to add system-wide Twitter photo integration to iOS 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As rumors swirl of an upcoming image service from Twitter, a new report alleges that Apple will participate as a major launch partner with system-wide support in iOS 5.

Various sources have confirmed that Twitter plans to announce a photo-sharing service, reportedly called Twitter Pictures, at the D9 conference later this week. TechCrunch now reports that Twitter has lined up Apple as a key partner for the upcoming service.

Though a number of popular third-party image services already cater to Twitter users, the company is reportedly moving to take more control of its product in hopes of creating a more consistent user experience. Of course, money could also be an issue, as sites like Yfrog make millions by selling advertising next to images uploaded by Twitter users.

According to the report, multiple sources have said that Apple's iOS 5 will have Twitter's image service "baked into the OS" with a "Send to Twitter" option similar to the current integration of YouTube in iOS. "A tipster informs us that one trigger happy Apple iOS designer has already released a test link into the wild," Alexia Tsotsis said in a separate report for TechCrunch, though she declined to provide the link.

John Gruber of Daring Fireball took things one step further, hinting at possible deeper integration. "So close to the bigger story, but yet so far," Gruber said of the report. "Imagine what else the system could provide if your Twitter account was a system-level service."

Apple confirmed Tuesday that CEO Steve Jobs will unveil iOS 5 next Monday at the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. iOS 5 is also rumored to include "deep" voice command integration. Last week, reports emerged that Apple will revamp notifications and widgets in iOS 5.

WWDC kicks off Monday, June 6 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. In addition to iOS 5, Apple will present Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and introduce its new iCloud service. Last month, sources told AppleInsider that the iCloud service, which is expected to replace the existing MobileMe product, will store more than just music. Apple is rumored to be pursuing licensing deals with movie and TV studios for the forthcoming service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As rumors swirl of an upcoming image service from Twitter, a new report alleges that Apple will participate as a major launch partner by adding a "Send to Twitter" option in iOS 5.

Various sources have confirmed that Twitter plans to announce a photo-sharing service, reportedly called Twitter Pictures, at the D9 conference later this week. TechCrunch now reports that Twitter has lined up Apple as a key partner for the upcoming service.

Though a number of popular third-party image services already cater to Twitter users, the company is reportedly moving to take more control of its product in hopes of creating a more consistent user experience. Of course, money could also be an issue, as sites like Yfrog make millions by selling advertising next to images uploaded by Twitter users.

According to the report, multiple sources have said that Apple's iOS 5 will have Twitter's image service "baked into the OS" with a "Send to Twitter" option similar to the current integration of YouTube in iOS. "A tipster informs us that one trigger happy Apple iOS designer has already released a test link into the wild," Alexia Tsotsis said in a separate report for TechCrunch, though she declined to provide the link.

Apple confirmed Tuesday that CEO Steve Jobs will unveil iOS 5 next Monday at the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. iOS 5 is also rumored to include "deep" voice command integration. Last week, reports emerged that Apple will revamp notifications and widgets in iOS 5.

WWDC kicks off Monday, June 6 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. In addition to iOS 5, Apple will present Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and introduce its new iCloud service. Last month, sources told AppleInsider that the iCloud service, which is expected to replace the existing MobileMe product, will store more than just music. Apple is rumored to be pursuing licensing deals with movie and TV studios for the forthcoming service.

I'll take that and more embedded control of file associations in general.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Gruber is implying that there's more to it than just photo uploading, in the style that usually means he has pretty solid inside info:

Quote:

So close to the bigger story, but yet so far. Imagine what else the system could provide if your Twitter account was a system-level service.

Any thoughts as to what he's suggesting?
  • Reply 3 of 44
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Gruber is implying that there's more to it than just photo uploading, in the style that usually means he has pretty solid inside info:

Sounds like a unified authentication mechanism for Twitter and Facebook where you don't have to go through the tedious authorization process that we currently have.

This way I can test out a bunch of different apps with Twitter or Facebook support without going mad.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Yawn!
  • Reply 5 of 44
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Dang it. One of the appeals of the iPhone was the fact that I didn't have social networking crammed down my throat. I have no desire or need for twitter integration and don't want to have to look at it every time I use my phone. I really hope there is an option to disable this drivel.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachB10 View Post

Dang it. One of the appeals of the iPhone was the fact that I didn't have social networking crammed down my throat. I have no desire or need for twitter integration and don't want to have to look at it every time I use my phone. I really hope there is an option to disable this drivel.

While I completely agree with you about social networking being crammed down our throats, I'm sure a lot of people will love this/find it useful. I was hoping to stay off these sites, but more and more everyday I'm just thinking if you can't beat em join em. I hope they offer a way to disable it as well!

You know what! Screw it I'll never join one of these social networking sites and be sucked into them! It's just not me
  • Reply 7 of 44
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    My focus on the keynote will be seeing what improvements to privacy are made in iOS5 and Lion, and twitter integration ain't part of it.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I just don't care about this and don't understand why anyone else should either.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkstar2007 View Post

While I completely agree with you about social networking being crammed down our throats, I'm sure a lot of people will love this/find it useful. I was hoping to stay off these sites, but more and more everyday I'm just thinking if you can't beat em join em. I hope they offer a way to disable it as well!

You know what! Screw it I'll never join one of these social networking sites and be sucked into them! It's just not me

I have no issues with people who enjoy tweeting about dropping a deuce or what they're doing every minute of the day. Whatever floats their boat. I just want the option to turn it off on my phone, if in fact, it will even be included.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

+1. I am fine with it as long as it can be completely disabled and invisible.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think he's suggesting features like there are on Android. You install Twitter, Facebook or other apps and they are integrated like a contacts account showing tweets, FB streams, etc.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm not sure what the people that are worried about having this "shoved down their throat" are expecting. Every picture you take is forcibly and immediately uploaded to Twitter? Huge Twitter buttons everywhere? Twitter feeds scrolling across the bottom of screen at all times?

This is Apple we're talking about. I think you can relax.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Forget Twitter. What the Photo app need are:

1. Ability to created new album and rename existing one

2. Ability to move pictures from album to album.

3. Shared album where you move/copy pictures into it and it will appear real-time at your friend's devices.

4. Saved album for the pictures saved from the web.

5. Separate video album.

• Reply 14 of 44
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkstar2007 View Post

I can only second that. I think the time some people spend in facebook or twitter is absolutely hillarious. The whole thing is so... what. should I say... unproduktiv.

I simply can't imagine Apple not to include the possibility to desable this function.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Twitter stream from future iOS user:

- Checking e-mail.

- Got 14 new e-mails.

- Deleted 11 junk e-mails.

- Playing Gorillaz The Fall.

- Logged on to facebook.

- Purchased Angry Birds on The App Store

- Bookmarked Appleinsider.

- Liked a comment on facebook.

- Changed keyboard layout to English (UK)

etc...
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I can only second that. I think the time some people spend in facebook or twitter is absolutely hillarious. The whole thing is so... what. should I say... unproduktiv.

I simply can't imagine Apple not to include the possibility to desable this function.

Yeah all of my friends are sucked into it and stay on it while we're hanging out. It's very annoying, but also just sad. Also my family and friends want me to join and post pictures, add them as friends, poke each other or whatever the hell it is they do I just don't wanna waste all my time networking after work/on weekends.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    capiendocapiendo Posts: 22member
    i don't get why twitter rubs so many folks the wrong way; it's just like texting but to multiple people, even has the same char limits.

just because the iphone has texting capabilities, does it mean apple is forcing you to text? it'll be the same with tweeting; use it or not, up to you.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I just don't care about this and don't understand why anyone else should either.

I totally agree. I've yet to hear one rumor about the upcoming event that has not made me think: meh! It's as if people are getting excited about the fact that Apple are having an event and aren't even thinking rationally about the latest dose of pointless features being served up.

Service level Twitter? Big deal. If I wanted that, I'd have a Twitter account. Seriously, is that all they can come up with? Allowing you to stream all the music or video you already own across the Internet when you most likely have it in your pocket already, or with a little bit of forethought will have it in your pocket.

Has anyone noticed that iwork.com is still in Beta with claims that fees might be applied in the future? Could that be because very few people actually use it? You can be certain that if lots of people used it, then Apple would charge. That looks like yet another abortive online effort. What will they do, wrap that under the iCloud banner?

Even Lion is looking somewhat uninspiring. Leopard genuinely added features that I really wanted, but I can't think of one feature in Lion that makes me desperate to buy. Most of it looks like UI tweaks. AirDrop looks neat, and probably is related to iCloud, but I already use DropBox for that and often send files of over 1 GB to friends.

So, I honestly don't see anything genuinely astounding coming on Monday.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    App adds services contextual menu. I don't care if they added nothing to iOS 5 as long as they make Mobile Me free.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

It'll be optional.