Google and Apple renew partnership for maps, search in iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google Executive Chairman and former CEO Eric Schmidt revealed Tuesday that his company had reached a deal with Apple to continue providing its maps and search technology for the iPhone.

Speaking at the D9 conference organized by All Things D, Schmidt said that Google's relationship with Apple had gotten "rough" as competition between Android and iOS heated up, but they remained good partners in certain businesses, Reuters reports.

Schmidt put to rest rumors that Apple planned to abandon Google's maps and search technology in the iPhone. According to the executive, the two companies recently renewed their partnership to continue to provide services for the iPhone. "We just renewed our map and search agreements with Apple, and we hope those continue for a long time," he said. Last year, it was suggested that Google pays Apple as much as $100 million a year in a revenue sharing deal for searches made on the iPhone.

Schmidt also talked candidly about his company's rivalry with Facebook. "We tried very hard to partner with Facebook ," he noted. "They were unwilling to do the deal." In hindsight, Schmidt said he would have pushed harder to compete with Facebook. "I screwed up," he admitted.

Google co-founder Larry Page took over for Schmidt as CEO in April. Schmidt formerly served on Apple's board of directors before stepping down due to a conflict of interest.

Apple does, however, appear to still be working on building out its own Maps team. In March, AppleInsider discovered a job listing for an iOS Maps Application Developer that would help "radically improve" Apple's location-based services. Last year, Apple began using its own Maps location databases, though it still relies on Google for the maps themselves.

Last month, Apple revealed that it is collecting anonymous traffic data in order to build a "crowd-sourced traffic database," though it was not immediately clear whether the use of the word "traffic" referred to network data or transportation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Well if were gonna have to deal with google maps again. I at least hope they offer the turn by turn voice directions, and the voice search while we're at it!
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I for one am very happy about this. I'm doing an MSc in cartography at the mo, and did a wee study in the state of the various mapping companies such as Google and Microsoft. Google by far have the best reach in data - Microsoft are doing well, but Google has a much more consistent data around the world. Try looking for small places outside the US and Europe, and their differences can be seen quite quickly. It is this data that makes the maps - Apple do not create these data. Good maps and bad maps can still use the same sources, but it is up to the map makers to provide a clear visual hierarchy, and easily readable maps that best show off this data to the user. This is where Apple are focusing, and I have high hopes based on past GUI efforts.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    joindupjoindup Posts: 80member
    If Apple released iSearch, based on the principle of no tracking and no ads - I'd drop Yahoo, Bing and Google in a shot.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    I know it would require Apple to do a lot more heavy lifting, but I would love to see Apple move away from doing so much business with direct competitors like Google and Samsung. I stinks to have to give money to someone working against you.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I'm actually a bit disappointed with this. The Google Maps app is identical to the original, and lacks all of the features available to the competition. I can only assume this is due to a choice by Google to not release the navigation maps app for iPhone due to their rough relationship with Apple.

If they resolve to fix this and update the app which is in sore need of some lacking features, then I'll be satisfied.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    No data, means the search would suck. Both Google and Microsoft use the data to improve the search results. Problem is Google (and probably Microsoft) also use the data for evaluating user habits to sell this information to advertisers. Everything Google does is to sell your information. That is how it makes money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joindup View Post

If Apple released iSearch, based on the principle of no tracking and no ads - I'd drop Yahoo, Bing and Google in a shot.

• Reply 7 of 30
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

No data, means the search would suck. Both Google and Microsoft use the data to improve the search results. Problem is Google (and probably Microsoft) also use the data for evaluating user habits to sell this information to advertisers. Everything Google does is to sell your information. That is how it makes money.

Google search hasn't improved from violating people's privacy, if anything, it's gotten worse over the years, mainly due to their inability to stop gaming of search results, but also because they are apparently more focused on gimmickry than quality these days. There's no evidence that collecting massive amounts of user identifiable data does anything for search results.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxxmanic View Post

I know it would require Apple to do a lot more heavy lifting, but I would love to see Apple move away from doing so much business with direct competitors like Google and Samsung. I stinks to have to give money to someone working against you.

This deal with Google proves that Apple, at least, is not as stubborn and foolish as some like to believe. They have every reason to stop using anything that even rhymes with Google, yet they believe that Google still is the best in the world at a few very key things, and and they (Apple) aren't confident enough in their own experiments at this point to replace them.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Donut4000 View Post

I for one am very happy about this. I'm doing an MSc in cartography at the mo, and did a wee study in the state of the various mapping companies such as Google and Microsoft. Google by far have the best reach in data - Microsoft are doing well, but Google has a much more consistent data around the world. Try looking for small places outside the US and Europe, and their differences can be seen quite quickly. It is this data that makes the maps - Apple do not create these data. Good maps and bad maps can still use the same sources, but it is up to the map makers to provide a clear visual hierarchy, and easily readable maps that best show off this data to the user. This is where Apple are focusing, and I have high hopes based on past GUI efforts.

If Apple wanted to invest in data they could buy imagery and map data from the same folks Google and MS purchase from. I like the global ortho dataset by MS and digital globe.

Google has the most data but limits the access to that data, even the public domain stuff whereas MS offers Terraserver/MSR Maps.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 11 of 30
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    As long as the google maps on iOS doesn't include adverts like the new version on Android does, I will be happy.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Does this mean Google isn't evil now?

No, sometimes you have to deal with evil.

Quote:

Man, some of the regulars here are going to have a tough time imagining a world in which every company other than Apple isn't evil.

Not sure who those people are. Is it the troll in you, do you just have trouble with logic or do you believe Google is every company other than Apple?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxxmanic View Post

I agree. Apple shouldn't be feeding Google at all.

I'm perfectly happy using Yahoo search. I refuse to feed the Google monster (not to mention that I'd rather not turn my life over to them).
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I'm actually a bit disappointed with this. The Google Maps app is identical to the original, and lacks all of the features available to the competition. I can only assume this is due to a choice by Google to not release the navigation maps app for iPhone due to their rough relationship with Apple.

If they resolve to fix this and update the app which is in sore need of some lacking features, then I'll be satisfied.

i wish google would remove all their apps/products from iphone and concentrate on android only. let apple build their own or hook up with garmin or someone else.

leave flash, turn by turn navigation, search, and wonderful google integration to us poor android users.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

As long as the google maps on iOS doesn't include adverts like the new version on Android does, I will be happy.

i am on Android 2.3.4 with latest google maps and i have no adverts. i must just be lucky.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

It's not because Google won't release it. Google licenses the navigation functionality from another party and can't distribute it for free. iPhone Maps app wasn't developed by Google, it just uses Google backend services/API's. Thus, Google has little control over what features Apple chooses to build into the application.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i am on Android 2.3.4 with latest google maps and i have no adverts. i must just be lucky.

I went from 2.3.2 to .3 and finally to .4 and have never received adverts on maps.

Hell, even my friends still riding Froyo don't even receive adverts on maps.

Can someone show me where google sticks adverts in maps? Maybe when tap on a business or something?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

It's not because Google won't release it. Google licenses the navigation functionality from another party and can't distribute it for free. iPhone Maps app wasn't developed by Google, it just uses Google backend services/API's. Thus, Google has little control over what features Apple chooses to build into the application.

google doesn't license it from others anymore. they dropped those companies a couple years ago. why do you think google has the 'map' cars all over the world?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    I'm not sure what it is, maybe I'm old, but there's this undercurrent of thought here that Apple needs to be his paragon of individuality and independence in order to succeed, when in fact, there are deep business relationships with just about every company (Microsoft included).

And yet, I see this rather childish "Google (or whoever) Sucks, Apple Rules" mentality that makes me smile because if that's how businesses really ran they'd be out in a heart beat.

I suppose it's just all the Apple fans here, myself included, who want to see Apple succeed, but don't really understand the business relationships that a company needs to thrive, whether it be Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel, whoever.

In the end, it's all about pleasing us shareholders. Apple is on a high cycle right now. Let's enjoy it while it lasts, hopefully for the next 100 years or so.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I'm not sure what it is, maybe I'm old, but there's this undercurrent of thought here that Apple needs to be his paragon of individuality and independence in order to succeed, when in fact, there are deep business relationships with just about every company (Microsoft included).

And yet, I see this rather childish "Google (or whoever) Sucks, Apple Rules" mentality that makes me smile because if that's how businesses really ran they'd be out in a heart beat.

I suppose it's just all the Apple fans here, myself included, who want to see Apple succeed, but don't really understand the business relationships that a company needs to thrive, whether it be Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel, whoever.

In the end, it's all about pleasing us shareholders. Apple is on a high cycle right now. Let's enjoy it while it lasts, hopefully for the next 100 years or so.

I totally agree with you, I don't understand all the hatred some people has on those forums.