WWDC 2011 banners going up at Moscone Center

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple is working to prepare San Francisco's Moscone Center West for the company's 2011 Worldwide Developer Conference to be held next week.

This morning, workers were putting the finishing touches on the giant white Apple logos that are applied to the sides of the convention hall, located in the South of Market area just two blocks from the company's flagship Union Square retail store.

Inside, a huge banner depicts Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud as being the three components adding up for WWDC 2011. Additional banners hung from the ceiling are still under wraps.

In previous years, Apple has kept some of these banners under wraps until the Keynote presentation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    freethinkerfreethinker Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is working to prepare San Francisco's Moscone Center West for the company's 2011 Worldwide Developer Conference to be held next week.

This morning, workers were putting the finishing touches on the giant white Apple logos that are applied to the sides of the convention hall, located in the South of Market area just two blocks from the company's flagship Union Square retail store.

Inside, a huge banner depicts Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5, and iCloud as being the three components adding up for WWDC 2011. Additional banners hung from the ceiling are still under wraps.

In previous years, Apple has kept some of these banners under wraps until the Keynote presentation.

When do you think iOS 5.0 will be available to download after the announcement? How does Apple normally do this?

Also, do you think 1 more thing will be iPhone 4GS?
  • Reply 2 of 103
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Interesting icon for iCloud. The Lion and iOS 5 are clearly from the login screen and app icons respectively, but the iCloud one looks like a brushed metal iDisk icon, perhaps indicating an app? They definitely look to be integrated somehow.

Update: on second thoughts, the iCloud icon looks almost like the power button from the pre-unibody MacBook Pros. Not sure if there's any relation to physical hardware, but...
  • Reply 3 of 103
    I predict the "cloud" will be Time Magazine's Man of the Year for 2011 or maybe 2012.
  • Reply 4 of 103
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is working to prepare San Francisco's Moscone Center West for the company's 2011 Worldwide Developer Conference to be held next week. ...

That Cloud icon is kinda strange. The metal suggests a safe?

I quite prefer the current one.

• Reply 5 of 103
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You know, many folks have been saying that the unprecedented pre-announcment of the big reveal at WWDC suggests there's a lot more to iCloud services than just a digital locker for music and movies.

Putting the iCloud icon on an equal footing with Lion and iOS 5 really reinforces that idea-- the layout suggests fundamental integration across Apple's product line.
  • Reply 6 of 103
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    "You got your cloud in my OS... You got your OS in my cloud"

let's hope it is as good as peanut butter and chocolate

How many iTunes upgrades will it require?
  • Reply 7 of 103
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That Cloud icon is kinda strange. The metal suggests a safe?

I quite prefer the current one.

I definitely like the new one better; I'm just not sure what it stands for yet.
  • Reply 8 of 103
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am excited about Lion. I know a lot of people here hate the drabness but I am excited about new functionality. I am excited about IOS5. It was interesting to see that Windows 8 video yesterday. I OS is beginning to look a little old and the Windows take is pretty fresh. Creating a new smart phone and tablet touch interface was a huge step by Apple. Now MS can build on established conventions. Hopefully Apple will do the same.

I am also really excited about iCloud. After having the streaming music thing knocked about for weeks (not excited) its beginning to look like Apple is taking a far greater and broader interest in the cloud and how it will integrate with existing services.

Hardware is becoming much less interesting these days.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    nonimusnonimus Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

"You got your cloud in my OS... You got your OS in my cloud"

let's hope it is as good as peanut butter and chocolate

How many iTunes upgrades will it require?

I'm just waiting for someone to associate it with the Rolling Stones "Get Off of My Cloud"
  • Reply 10 of 103
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Interesting icon for iCloud. The Lion and iOS 5 are clearly from the login screen and app icons respectively, but the iCloud one looks like a brushed metal iDisk icon, perhaps indicating an app? They definitely look to be integrated somehow.

Update: on second thoughts, the iCloud icon looks almost like the power button from the pre-unibody MacBook Pros. Not sure if there's any relation to physical hardware, but...

Hardware? Maybe an iCloud server? A home server permanently synced to icloud?
  • Reply 11 of 103
    cougarcougar Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

When do you think iOS 5.0 will be available to download after the announcement? How does Apple normally do this?

Also, do you think 1 more thing will be iPhone 4GS?

A beta will probably be released to developers, either on June 6 or soon after.

No iPhone 4GS. iCloud, OS X, and iOS 5.
  • Reply 12 of 103
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

I don't think we can rule out a surprise hardware announcement. Not necessarily going to happen, of course, but typically for Apple we'd never see it coming.
  • Reply 13 of 103
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    People can say what they like about Apple, but nobody generates excitement like they do.

I can't imagine sitting with a drink and watching any other company's keynotes!! lol
  • Reply 14 of 103
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    people are complaining not being able to access the iStore: please try again LATER!
  • Reply 15 of 103
    What's the confusion about?

Seems pretty clear:

http://www.cloudme.com/en

And toying around I made this:

http://tinyurl.com/3lrzng2
  • Reply 16 of 103
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

I agree that the 1 more thing will not be the next generation iphone. But I have to believe that there will be a 1 more thing.

So, what are everyones predictions???

My best guess: new time capsule with icloud integration.

Most hoping for: iPhone nano (or whatever it would be called)
  • Reply 17 of 103
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Lion + 5 + Metal Cloud = WWDC

Lion * 5 * Metal Cloud = Voltron
  • Reply 18 of 103
    cougarcougar Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I agree that the 1 more thing will not be the next generation iphone. But I have to believe that there will be a 1 more thing.

So, what are everyones predictions???

My best guess: new time capsule with icloud integration.

Most hoping for: iPhone nano (or whatever it would be called)

There won't be any iPhone, iPod, or Mac announcements. Apple has made that pretty clear.

Time Capsule with iCloud isn't a bad guess. There have been reports of Airport shortages. I'm not sure why it would be a "one more thing" though. It would have to be very impressive, and I don't know what that would entail.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

People can say what they like about Apple, but nobody generates excitement like they do.

I can't imagine sitting with a drink and watching any other company's keynotes!! lol

You're right! I can't even imagine sitting there with a joint and watching to Ballmer Etc.'s off-keynotes.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I definitely like the new one better; I'm just not sure what it stands for yet.

Over on 9to5Mac (hate to promote that cesspool though), people are speculating that the new icon is a mash-up of the Sync button and the iDisk cloud. When you add to that the fact that iSync is missing from Lion it makes sense that it's a DropBox type icon/folder and that putting something in it syncs with all your iOS devices and desktop LockBoxes automatically.