Apple releases universal WWDC app for iOS ahead of Monday's keynote

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released its official application for the annual Worldwide Developers Conference, a free tool that allows attendees to view schedules, make reservations and read the latest news.

The free application is universal iOS software, designed to take advantage of the different screen sizes of the iPhone and iPad. The 5.2MB download requires a device running iOS 4.2 or later.

"The WWDC 2011 app is your mobile guide to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference," Apple's official description reads. "Access a range of conference information on-the-go from your iPhone or iPad.

"You can quickly search the conference schedule, make a reservation at the User Interface, App Review, iTunes Connect, Program Support, or Developer Publications lab, view floor diagrams of Moscone West, and create a custom schedule of the sessions, labs, and events you plan on attending."

WWDC 2011 will begin on Monday, with a presentation by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs and other members of the executive team. During the keynote, the company will highlight Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, and also unveil the never-before-seen iOS 5 and iCloud products.

The new WWDC 2011 application is free to download, but only those who are registered to attend the annual conference can log in and see the schedule of events. Features of the application, according to Apple, include:

Reserve Time at the Labs: The WWDC 2011 app allows you to make a reservation at the User Interface, App Review, iTunes Connect, Program Support, or Developer Publication lab. Once you make a lab reservation, it will appear in the schedule section of the app when you filter your view by Favorites.

Sessions and Labs Schedule: View the daily conference schedule including lunchtime and evening events. Filter your view to search by technology, platform, sessions, or labs.

Create Your WWDC Schedule: Tap on the detail view of any session, lab, or event. Then tap "Add to Favorites". Your selections will be added to the Favorites section of the app and can be updated on-the-go.

Locate Sessions and Labs: Easily find your way around Moscone West with detailed floor maps. You can also tap on a specific session or lab for the level and location where you need to go.

Conference News: Stay up-to-date with all the announcements during the week. The WWDC 2011 app provides you with the latest news as soon as it?s announced.

Conference Photos: View photos of the WWDC experience. Images from the sessions, labs, and special events will be added daily.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    They should add the ability for the app to stream video of the keynote!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I agree. I hate "watching" live blogs. I would much prefer to watch Steve present it, but i cannot wait for the next day so a live stream is ideal. In fact, I would even drop a few bucks to watch it live.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    icrizzoicrizzo Posts: 9member
    I get a message stating it is not available in the U.S.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCrizzo View Post

I get a message stating it is not available in the U.S.

Keep trying, then? It obviously is.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Keep trying, then? It obviously is.

Same here - not available in the US. Tried my regular and my "developer" iTunes accounts.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MickeyPhelps View Post

Same here - not available in the US. Tried my regular and my "developer" iTunes accounts.

It'll be fixed by tomorrow, easily. I have it, and it worked right when it came out.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The app is for people attending the conference, so why would it have that ability? So you can stay in your hotel room instead of waiting in line?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

It'll be fixed by tomorrow, easily. I have it, and it worked right when it came out.

Use this link instead: http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/app/

Tied to being a developer.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Where's the Android app?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MickeyPhelps View Post

Use this link instead: http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/app/

Tied to being a developer.

Keeps saying Conference Ticket Required...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

Where's the Android app?

• Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Keeps saying Conference Ticket Required...

Use that link to download it because some people were having trouble. You're not going to get access to the app for free with it.

Yes, simultaneous laugh and sadness. Because there's really no reason to limit the use of this application to WWDC-goers.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Yes, simultaneous laugh and sadness. Because there's really no reason to limit the use of this application to WWDC-goers.

Yeah, what gives? Can't I at least live vicariously as a hotshot iOS developer for just a few days? Bah!