Apple execs "overtly optimistic" about iOS, see tablets outpacing PCs soon

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After meeting with Apple executives, Goldman Sachs analyst Bill Shope reported that the company appeared "overtly optimistic on the long-term prospects for the iOS platform."

Shope met with Apple's chief operations officer Tim Cook, retail head Ron Johnson and chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer.

According to a report obtained by AppleInsider, while the trio of Apple executives didn't divulge any secret features of the upcoming iOS 5, they did note high expectations for iPads and iPhones.

In his Goldman Sachs note, Shope noted that Cook "remained remarkably optimistic about the demand for the iPad and the long-term market opportunity for tablets. Indeed, he stated that he sees no reason why the tablet market shouldn?t eclipse the PC market over the next several years."

Apple already sells more iPads than Macs, and the impact the iPad is having on PC sales in general (which are shrinking globally) is making a clear imprint on Microsoft's plans for Windows 8.

The new features of Windows 8 demonstrated so far focus entirely upon making the product suitable for use on iPad like devices. Microsoft has even clarified that it will not support emulation of existing Windows apps on new mobile ARM-based tablets, pushing users to move entirely to a new type of apps built using HTML5 and JavaScript.

Shope also noted that Apple now reports having 200 carriers for the iPhone (up from 189 at the end of the March quarter) and that it continues to enjoy strong retail sales from its chain of more than 200 outlets, something that neither Microsoft, nor its Windows PC hardware partners, nor any Android licensees have at their disposal to help sell and train users on new products.

The analyst estimates that Apple will sell 8.1 million iPads in the June quarter, an increase of 72 percent over last year's summer quarter, pointing out that Apple management "noted that they continued to work to meet iPad demand and that they were making as many devices as they could."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    What the heck is 'overtly' optimistic? As opposed to being secretly optimistic?

Or, did the analyst mean 'overly,' which would have a very different connotation.....
  • Reply 2 of 43
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What the heck is 'overtly' optimistic? As opposed to being secretly optimistic?

Or, did the analyst mean 'overly,' which would have a very different connotation.....

It would seem by the context that they mean that the execs' optimism was readily apparent.

I agree it's a strange way to word it. I originally read it as "overly".
  • Reply 3 of 43
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    this is NEWS?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    dougdoldedougdolde Posts: 53member
    I'd never find an iPad to be a suitable replacement for any flavor of Mac. In fact I don't really like the iPad much prefer my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

I'd never find an iPad to be a suitable replacement for any flavor of Mac. In fact I don't really like the iPad much prefer my iPhone 4.

Never? Okay...
  • Reply 6 of 43
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

this is news?

yes!!
  • Reply 7 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

They didn't ask me.

That's because you don't count. A tiny minority of people who either don't get or don't like the iPad for whatever reason are not going to be taken into consideration when a company has a certified blockbuster hit on their hands.

The iPad is great, and I happen to own a number of other Macs also. I won't be giving up those anytime soon, but I find the iPad to be pretty useful for certain things.

Tablets and touch screens is where everything is heading. Other companies are seeing the huge success of the iPad and now everything is all about tablets. Look at Windows 8 which was previewed yesterday, it's a tablet OS! It was pretty obvious where they were heading, I have bing on my iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Your individual usage case is irrelevant to Apple.

Apple is interested in the broad market response to its products, not individuals (well, apart from Steve Jobs and Jonny Ive).

The fact of the matter is the iPad is a massive hit, the only large-scale success in a product category (tablets) that has existed for a good fifteen years.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Most likely plausible, although I'm not too worried about it.

I stopped buying PC's outright years ago, when I learned that they were one of the biggest waste of money ever for me.

Ah, the joys of building
  • Reply 10 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Most likely plausible, although I'm not too worried about it.

I stopped buying PC's outright years ago, when I learned that they were one of the biggest waste of money ever for me.

Ah, the joys of building

You don't build anything. You don't design anything. You assemble parts that others have designed, manufactured, and marketed, the same parts that go into numerous devices. You are no different than the typical Foxconn worker. And you have the nerve to tell people you build your own computers?! That and a dozen roses wouldn't get you a girlfriend either. But I guess it puffs up your self worth and gives you that superior feeling. I'd like to see you "build" a tablet.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

this is NEWS?

This is a comment?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

It would seem by the context that they mean that the execs' optimism was readily apparent.

I agree it's a strange way to word it. I originally read it as "overly".

Me too.

Quote:

this is NEWS?

This just in: Execs from companies are overtly optimistic to media about their products even if they think they are complete shit.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Overtly is right. Executives can be coy with analysts, as any information given is "forward looking". It's not a press conference either, so they don't tend to be sales men. In this case they didn't hide their optimism.

Overly would be a judgement call- the analyst would be saying they were over- confident.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Personally I prefer my iPad to my Mac for many tasks and when I'm in situations where I only have my iPad I don't find myself longing for my Mac at all. There's a few things it doesn't do well right now but I'm sure they'll be fixed (possibly on Monday when we get the iOS 5 beta). I've been convinced they'll displace laptops for most users from the start and I haven't seen any reason to change my mind yet. There's every reason for optimism.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Me too.

This just in: Execs from companies are overtly optimistic to media about their products even if they think they are complete shit.

You do realize that Apple execs are usually VERY reserved with the media regarding the sales and marketing of Apple's products. This is actually very significant news when Apple takes the wraps off internal sales optimism to allow it to get to the media.

Please note I am NOT referring to Apple's boundless enthusiasm about the quality and impact of their products but the sales of same.

Overtly is a GREAT word. Good to see real vocabulary being used.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    yes, it's "overtly"; yes, it makes sense; and yes, it is news.

Apple is famous (notorious) for low-ball earnings estimates and very cautious statements about the future. Their approach is to always try to under-promise and over-deliver. So if apple execs are so giddy that they can't contain themselves, it is indeed news.

Now, obviously the apple execs could be wrong -- we may find that "overly" was the right word after all. But this is still news. (and as an apple investor, I see it as good news, because these guys are right way more often than they are wrong)
  • Reply 17 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You don't build anything. You don't design anything. You assemble parts that others have designed, manufactured, and marketed, the same parts that go into numerous devices.

That is true. Building something cool out of legos is more complicated than putting together a PC. A PC or a hackintosh consists of maybe 10 parts that you buy, you throw them into a case, and you have your machine. It's not rocket science.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    peter02lpeter02l Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

This is a comment?

This is silence?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    aviumavium Posts: 7member
    Does anyone else think that Microsoft is making a potentially retarded decision re standardizing to HTML / JavaScript?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter02l View Post

This is silence?

And this is rice?