Apple's iPhone passes RIM's BlackBerry in U.S. smartphone usage

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While the iPhone has outsold Research in Motion's BlackBerry line for some time now, a new survey found that Apple's handset has now surpassed RIM in terms of active U.S. users.

The latest numbers from comScore rank both smartphone platforms, in which Apple's iOS is second only to Google's Android, and hardware usage, where Apple took fourth. Both of Apple's rankings for the first time narrowly bested RIM, which took third in platform, and fifth in hardware.

Apple's 26 percent U.S. platform share recorded between February and April was up 1.3 percent from the 24.7 percent it held in January. While Apple's presence grew, RIM lost 4.7 percent in platform share during the same period, allowing Apple to edge its 25.7 percent share in April 2011.

Apple's iOS and Google Android were the only platforms to grow in share between January and April, the survey found. But Android's 5.2 percent growth well exceeded Apple, giving the search giant's platform a 36.4 percent share of U.S. mobile phone subscribers.

The battle between the iPhone and BlackBerry shows a similar story in hardware usage, as Apple grew 1.3 percent from January to April, representing 8.3 percent of U.S. mobile phones. During the same period, RIM lost 0.4 percent, dropping to 8.2 percent -- 0.1 percent behind Apple.

Apple still has a ways to go to catch third-place Motorola, which had a 15.6 percent share of hardware U.S. units in April. But that total was also 0.9 percent down from January 2011.

The only other manufacturer in the top five to see a gain was LG, which inched up 0.1 percent to 20.9 percent. Market leader Samsung lost 0.4 percent between January and April, slipping to 24.5 percent.

comScore found that 234 million Americans ages 13 and older used mobile devices in the three-month span that ended in April. Of those, 74.6 million in the U.S. owned smartphones, up 13 percent from the three-month period ending in January 2011.

The MobiLens data from comScore is based on an online survey of a nationally representative sample of mobile subscribers age 13 and up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    If I were Nelson from The Simpsons, I certainly would issue a well-deserved 'HA-HA' here. But I'm not so I won't.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    But clearly Android growth continues to outpace iPhone growth, quite significantly.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    I thought Apple was leading RIM months ago? Did I miss something?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    hal 9000hal 9000 Posts: 101member
    I thought all Blackberry and iPhone users were "active", given that the term should be really implied in smartphones. "Inactive" users are generally found in the prepaid non-smart phone market.

\
  • Reply 5 of 36
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

But clearly Android growth continues to outpace iPhone growth, quite significantly.

Clearly iPhone use is still growing in spite of Android "winning".
  • Reply 6 of 36
    glui2001glui2001 Posts: 24member
    I guess there's no need for ppl to bother looking for RIM jobs now
  • Reply 7 of 36
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I thought Apple was leading RIM months ago? Did I miss something?

I believe they were leading in "units sold", since last fall, now they are leading RIM in market share.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Clearly iPhone use is still growing in spite of Android "winning".

I like Apple and iPhone (own one). But Android is growing at >5% and Apple is just over 1%. At some point, we have to admit that the trend is clear - Apple is settling in 2nd place and the gap is growing into a chasm. A game-changer is needed to bridge this. Making the iP4 available on Verizon clearly wasn't it.

But then, this is the US market we're talking about, which will soon become the 3rd largest market and therefor not the most important one. It'd be far more interesting and relevant to examine the trend in the Chinese market. Far more.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    > Android is growing at >5% and Apple is just over 1% <

Of Smartphone share, which is itself increasing.

Thus, contrary to first impressions, it's ominous for the opposition that Apple's share of the total US cellphone market gained ca. 19% (1.3/7 x 100%) in just 3 months, which compounds to 97% per year ((1 + 1.3/7)^4 x 100%)). Whereas the others are stagnant or going backwards. = BLOODBATH!
  • Reply 10 of 36
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Quote:

I like Apple and iPhone (own one). But Android is growing at >5% and Apple is just over 1%. At some point, we have to admit that the trend is clear - Apple is settling in 2nd place and the gap is growing into a chasm. A game-changer is needed to bridge this. Making the iP4 available on Verizon clearly wasn't it.

But then, this is the US market we're talking about, which will soon become the 3rd largest market and therefor not the most important one. It'd be far more interesting and relevant to examine the trend in the Chinese market. Far more.

No game changer needed. Apple is winning on all the fronts that matter. There isn't a single company besting Apple in mobile unit sales, customer satisfaction or profit. You think Apple cares if 10 different companies sell multiple versions of phones using the Android OS (most of which are junk, with just a few quality smart phones like the Droid), ensuring fragmentation and a non-standard user experience?

Additionally, if you add in all sales of iOS platforms against all Android based platform sales, you get an entirely different picture.

As for the Chinese market, the majority of what they call Android platforms are actually not using Googles code, so I'm not to sure you want to use a market like that. Not to mention China probably has more knockoff phones than real ones. A black-market wet dream.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Second point is good. On the first point - a gain of 1.3% in market share ( not units) is significant y-o-y. And this is a quarter where Apple have no new phones out. When that happens you would expect much larger y-o-y growth. Apple is also on only two carriers, how much market share growth did verizon help here? 2%? if so there would have been 4% extra on all carriers.

And Apple has not gone cheap yet. Androids increase is slowing down, as is - by the way -the fall off in market share of other groups - like RIM. Only Palm are doomed now.

It wont be a 95%-5% market beloved of the android heads. not that for sure.

As for China - Apple has yet to go full carrier there either. Or in most of Europe. When it gets it' world phone out there, then it will.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    Quote:

I've said it a thousand times already. At the end of the day, the bottom line is the only number that matters. So far, Apple is winning where it matters: profitability.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

I've said it a thousand times already. At the end of the day, the bottom line is the only number that matters. So far, Apple is winning where it matters: profitability.

And I have countered that argument a thousand times by saying the long term profitability depends on market share. The high end will get smaller.

Nevertheless Apple is well positioned to continue to grow units, and market share.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

And I have countered that argument a thousand times by saying the long term profitability depends on market share. The high end will get smaller.

Nevertheless Apple is well positioned to continue to grow units, and market share.

You may have, but Android's market share is false. Untill Google takes an active roll in ensuring device compatibility, their app market will remain a joke.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

You may have, but Android's market share is false. Untill Google takes an active roll in ensuring device compatibility, their app market will remain a joke.

False market share? Huh?

Indeed, the Android app market needs to be cleaned up. But that's just it - Even without a superior App market, they are leaving Apple farther behind with every month.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

False market share? Huh?

Indeed, the Android app market needs to be cleaned up. But that's just it - Even without a superior App market, they are leaving Apple farther behind with every month.

Yeah - I dealt with those points. Repeating yourself is not an argument.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

And this is a quarter where Apple have no new phones out.

There lies the rub. Apple needs a new phone to have a chance of catching up, and yet they delay the launch of iPhone5. Ergo, iOS really has to be game-changing, which was one of my points.

Second - Even if Apple brings out a new phone, Android hardware vendors will have new phones coming out at different times of the year. Apple cannot keep up until they truly expand their product line beyond one line (argue all you want but they have one phone). Again, this is what is known as a game-changer.

No game-changing iOS5 or increase to at least 2 product lines, Apple will become the shrinking fruit in Android's mirror. No, it won't fade into oblivion, but it will be 2nd fiddle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

The argument about profitability is irrelevant. How can we compare Android vs. iOS and then use Motorola or Samsung's profits to compare against Apple? This is a platform debate. Don't jump around to obscure a losing argument.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

There lies the rub. Apple needs a new phone to have a chance of catching up, and yet they delay the launch of iPhone5. Ergo, iOS really has to be game-changing, which was one of my points.

Second - Even if Apple brings out a new phone, Android hardware vendors will have new phones coming out at different times of the year. Apple cannot keep up until they truly expand their product line beyond one line (argue all you want but they have one phone). Again, this is what is known as a game-changer.

No game-changing iOS5 or increase to at least 2 product lines, Apple will become the shrinking fruit in Android's mirror. No, it won't fade into oblivion, but it will be 2nd fiddle.

ok, thanks for actually taking on the argument :-)

The real statistic here is that the 3GS outsells all individual Android phones. Thats the killer stat. It may be cannibalising some iPhone 4 but I doubt it could be that much. So Android having other phones coming out is not all that relevant. The come out, peak, and cant catch Apple's secondary product.

So what if Apple had 2 more product lines? More sales. Of course. If you doubt this think about the 18M that Apple sold last quarter. X is the number of 3GS' sold. 18 - X is the number of iP4 sold. If they had a Y and a Z and then the numbers sold would be 18 + Y + Z. Approx. ( There would be some cannibalisation).

How big is Y + Z, we dont know but for a cheap model iPhones could be huge.Could be 5 million each. Could be more.

Thats argument 1. Argument 2 is that the 3GS is not even available on Verizon. So they sell one phone on one carriers, and two on one. With four on four, what happens?

I am sticking with the US, which is where this is set.

Also Android's rate of growth is slowing. It will eventually peak. Apple has not peaked. I dont know if Apple will get to the top ( I was going to say reclaim but it was surpassed by Android before it caught RIM), but it could well do it.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    baederboybaederboy Posts: 38member
    So, since Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc. are all showing the same share of all phones in US but Android share of smartphones is growing - doesn't that just mean that they are converting non-smartphone users to smartphone users and not really gaining any real new buyers? While on the otherhand, Apple is gaining share and since no non-smartphones to get people to upgrade from they must be converting other companies non-smartphone owners to iPhones? How come no one points that out? Doesn't that explain the rapid growth of Android - people upgrade from a x non-smartphone to an x android powered smartphone, where x is Motorola, etc.? Especially when they are offered them by the carriers for next to nothing (And who hasn't heard a friend tell them that their carrier was able to upgrade their family for next to nothing to a Droid? I know that I have.) Oh well.

Over and out
  • Reply 20 of 36
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

ok, thanks for actually taking on the argument :-)

The real statistic here is that the 3GS outsells all individual Android phones. Thats the killer stat. It may be cannibalising some iPhone 4 but I doubt it could be that much. So Android having other phones coming out is not all that relevant. The come out, peak, and cant catch Apple's secondary product.

So what if Apple had 2 more product lines? More sales. Of course. If you doubt this think about the 18M that Apple sold last quarter. X is the number of 3GS' sold. 18 - X is the number of iP4 sold. If they had a Y and a Z and then the numbers sold would be 18 + Y + Z. Approx. ( There would be some cannibalisation).

How big is Y + Z, we dont know but for a cheap model iPhones could be huge.Could be 5 million each. Could be more.

Thats argument 1. Argument 2 is that the 3GS is not even available on Verizon. So they sell one phone on one carriers, and two on one. With four on four, what happens?

I am sticking with the US, which is where this is set.

Also Android's rate of growth is slowing. It will eventually peak. Apple has not peaked. I dont know if Apple will get to the top ( I was going to say reclaim but it was surpassed by Android before it caught RIM), but it could well do it.

Argument #1: Android phones are $200; on Verizon they can climb up to $300.

The Iphone 3GS is $50 it doesn't take a genius to see the correlation between sales and price.

Argument #2: Android Sales did not take a dip UNTIL the verizon Iphone was announced. The 3GS on Verizon would be irrelevant because almost everyone would by the 4's