Apple reportedly shifting Airport base stations to use iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    My only wish is that they repair airdisk to work properly. \
  • Reply 42 of 98
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    I love all this talk of iCloud enabled Time Capsules and Airport base stations. It's exactly the direction I think we should be moving in. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be usable here in backwards Australia and potentially other places that have strict bandwidth limitations enforced by ISPs.

I can't receive ADSL at my location (we don't live rurally, just unlucky I guess) so our internet is provided over a 3g connection. The speed is ok I guess, but the kicker is the bandwidth is capped at 12gb per month. That's right, I have to survive a month on a 12gb allowance. Since we moved here i've had to concentrate on adapting how I use the internet and it's really reduced what I do.

I'm assuming that all these cloud based features will really chew up bandwidth. Downloading updates to cache, uploading backups and files for cloud access. I see that chewing through bandwidth caps in two seconds flat which is really a shame because that's how I *want* to use the internet.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    jwilcoxjwilcox Posts: 13member
    If we are adding things to Air Port, add print drivers so we can Air Print to the network printer. I so want this!
  • Reply 44 of 98
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Isn't an Airport Express plus HDMI really just an AppleTV?

Not even close.

They could be merged, but right now they have entirely different functions (and ports).
  • Reply 45 of 98
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maffrew View Post

I love all this talk of iCloud enabled Time Capsules and Airport base stations. It's exactly the direction I think we should be moving in. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be usable here in backwards Australia and potentially other places that have strict bandwidth limitations enforced by ISPs.

I can't receive ADSL at my location (we don't live rurally, just unlucky I guess) so our internet is provided over a 3g connection. The speed is ok I guess, but the kicker is the bandwidth is capped at 12gb per month. That's right, I have to survive a month on a 12gb allowance. Since we moved here i've had to concentrate on adapting how I use the internet and it's really reduced what I do.

I'm assuming that all these cloud based features will really chew up bandwidth. Downloading updates to cache, uploading backups and files for cloud access. I see that chewing through bandwidth caps in two seconds flat which is really a shame because that's how I *want* to use the internet.

1) what/how have you adjusted your Internet usage to live within the low data cap and low speed.

2) Do you have multiple Macs and iDevices that each download their own copy of each software update?

3) are WiFi HotSpots (or somesuch) available where multiple users can share relatively-uncapped Internet access?

4) Are the caps due to an inferior (under capitalized) IP or is there some other restriction?

The reasons I ask are:

-- in dealing with adversity, we often define the seeds of the solution

-- a downloading/caching router could alleviate your current problems if you have multiple software updates to similar devices -- similar with syncs.

-- if WiFi HotSpots are available, a portable (battery-powered) router could be a godsend

-- If not, this smells like a business opportunity -- or, at the very least, a community solution

P.S. When I first started doing web development (1997) I lived in the foothills of Tucson, AZ. The only phone service was dial-up (we were lucky to get a second line). All development was online to a proprietary Perl-based system -- so I am aware of some of the challenges and rewards of dealing with a limited resource.
  • Reply 46 of 98
    omoomo Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think a single 3.5" HDD for a new Time Capsule will be bad, two would be okay, and three disks would be great for a Home Server. I'm not even going to push my luck with four disks or wanting them to be hot swappable.

Thunderbolt port to connect to additional HDDs for those who want more storage???
  • Reply 47 of 98
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maffrew View Post

I think this might be the missing link in most cloud strategies. We need a way to minimise bandwidth usage as much as possible if that's our requirement, and generally manage what we're using.

I have a small allowance on my iPhone data - I'd like something as simple as stopping data usage if it exceeds a certain amount I've nominated in 24 hours (until I enable it again). But for this (and probably iCloud) there's an assumption of available bandwidth. I am, however, VERY pleased that AT&T offers low usage plans for iPhones as this means Apple will have to have thought about that in their design of the iCloud, in contrast to the previous unlimited US plans.

In theory, you could probably make very little change to your current usage at all once this iCloud comes out - syncing only directly with your computer etc... perhaps no change at all. Hopefully iOS upgrades should have lower data requirements which is one positive. But I'd like to see something with advantages of the cloud with little impact too. We'll see Tuesday 3am eh?
  • Reply 48 of 98
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Not even close.

They could be merged, but right now they have entirely different functions (and ports).

An Airport Express plus HDMI would have HDMI, A4/5 chip, USB - all of which the current AppleTV has.

Hardware wise it would just also have a headphone socket, right?

Software wise would depend on configuration.

Sorry, haven't used one in ages.
  • Reply 49 of 98
    mex4ericmex4eric Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You may be on to something here...

In a post-pc world, an individual user would have less ability to hack or bypass DRM and rip off content. If true, then the content providers could concentrate on providing better content, more accessible content -- at better prices.

Surely, Content providers would be more amenable to doing this for the curated iTunes - iOS ecosystem -- than for the relatively wide-open, anything goes system provided by Android.

We need a Handbrake app for iOS!
  • Reply 50 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OMO View Post

Thunderbolt port to connect to additional HDDs for those who want more storage???

I think TB is a possibility, but if we're talking about Apple and a single device with redundant backup I'd hope they wouldn't make use multiple external HDDs so we can support the whole family.

Something like this is what I'm hoping for, but using the Mac mini's 7" x 7" footprint with nearly nothing on the front and .a flat top. Hopefully still hotswapple from the back.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I push this even farther and say the new Time Capsule will be in the Mac mini-like chassis. Meaning a milled block of aluminium.

Sounds like a good call, and as an outsider wager, with small chances, I would say they revamp it with either a second raid hd, or some flash buffer in it, I would wish.

Edit: having said that I got to give the heads up to two products that together more than make up for the lack of apple cloud so far:

Plex media center and the excellent synology nas systems who have their own media management software for iOS. These two can really untie your hands.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Sounds like a good call, and as an outsider wager, with small chances, I would say they revamp it with either a second raid hd, or some flash buffer in it, I would wish.

Could we see the return of the cube? I did all the calculations after ifixit tore down the Mac mini when it jumped from 6.5" x 6.5" to 7" x 7". It's ripe to get 3-4 HDDs flat or standing on their sides. Plus, I think it works with Apple's aesthetics and resolves actual problems they currently have.

As for it being a "good call" I appreciate the vote of confidence but even I admit that a milled aluminum chassis is a bit of a stretch here even if the entire base is a round plastic disc for 360° transmission.
    Quote:

Edit: having said that I got to give the heads up to two products that together more than make up for the lack of apple cloud so far:

Plex media center and the excellent synology nas systems who have their own media management software for iOS. These two can really untie your hands.

I've found that even HP' Media Smart Home Servers are suitable and will backup Macs as Time Machine. Even Windows on them isn't workable remotely. They are cheaply made and the tiny fans can be strangely noisy but over all good product for the price. No real complaints… expect that I want Apple to make one that's better all around.
  • Reply 53 of 98
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If not, this smells like a business opportunity -- or, at the very least, a community solution

Probably not

Australia are building a government owned national fibre network that it will lease on equal terms to all ISP.

From memory they are spending something like 5% of GDP on it. That would be the equivalent of the US spending something like 700 billion.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    gordlaceygordlacey Posts: 30member
    So, I guess I should return the Airport Extreme that's being delivered on Tuesday...
  • Reply 55 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordLacey View Post

So, I guess I should return the Airport Extreme that's being delivered on Tuesday...

Probably, but remember even if we assume they are changing the wireless product line the new ones might might not suit your needs or be a price point that suits your needs. For example, what if they update the AirPort Express to have dual-band goodness, with USB (printing) and Thunderbolt (Time Machine) for $149, then completely discontinue the AirPort Extreme Base Station, and then jump to a $500 Time Capsule. Lucky for you it's not arriving until the day after the keynote and you have a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee if there is a better one on the market.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    One part of me thinks of all the cool things that can be done with a smarter Time Capsule.

The other part thinks: leave that backup device alone !

Backup is for life, not just for ... ( D'oh! I can't think of anything techy that rhymes with Christmas ).
  • Reply 57 of 98
    Time Capsule plus HDMI is a bit weird. TCs are noisy when running a backup. With each Mac starting them up every hour, I can't see them living anywhere near a TV screen.
  • Reply 58 of 98
    deleted - I wish we could delete properly - now I'll have to try and think of something clever to say in this space - come on brain! - there once was a young man from Chernobyl ... - no, it's not happening, sorry.
  • Reply 59 of 98
    So the AppleTV is iOS-based and already does mostly automatic updates to itself so this shouldn't be too hard to adapt for other iOS-based iDevices.

PS: Let's not confuse automatic with OTA updates OTA updates. Let's also note the differences of cellular and WiFi OTA updates.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

For it to work as a backup device and a home server, I would hope that the additional disk space can be granted without the backup files being accessible. It would be a shame if someone accidentally deleted your last five years of backups with one key press.

How does that work out currently?

With any security, allowing people access to the HW is the number way to have it stolen or wiped. That said, you can encrypt your TM drive (at least in Lion). iOS already has encryption on the NAND so that should also be secure, but we're talking about platter drives here.

Also in Lion you can encrypt your entire drive, not just your Home Folder as is the case with SL. This means your TM backups are also encrypted. When you d/encrypt your drive in Lion it does over several hours while you are using it. I think SL's user level encryption required you to wait.

I haven't played with it much because it's pretty serious encryption with plenty of warnings. You can't specify passcode for it. It generates a 24 alphanumeric Recovery Key (How strong is it: 36^24 = 2.24522577 × 10^37 = 2,245,225,770,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000)

You can choose to have Apple store it (which isn't yet live) and even the Recovery HD option may have the option to retrieve it if you lose your password.
  • Reply 60 of 98
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    For your consideration, all from the same original thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...3&postcount=21

Quote:

I think Apple needs to do something with MobileMe, a Time Capsule & the Keyboard Dock to position the iPad as a 'stand-alone' device…

Add in a stereo BlueTooth headset (with microphone) & a Skype account, telephone calls in and out just got a whole lot cheaper…

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...5&postcount=24

Quote:

As has been said time & time again, for what a vast majority of the computer using population actually do, a stand-alone iPad would be the perfect device. Ease-of-use computer intended for casual computing in a relaxed manner; no muss, no fuss…

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...1&postcount=29

Quote:

I think that the iPad being a 'complimentary' device is just a short-term smoke screen, intended to get the product out there in the public eye. Apple will use the first (and possibly second) generation of this device to 'feel the waters' as it were, to see how the majority of computer users react to a controlled system. I believe there are plenty of end users who don't care about what is happening 'under the hood' of their operating system, those who could care less about a file system (or even really understand the underlying concepts of a file system, for that matter), and those who do not feel the need to change & tweak their system for 'optimal performance'…

As the iPad matures, I think that the idea of tying it to a Time Capsule & a MobileMe account will be the best initial path towards it becoming a 'stand-alone' device.

Long story short, I believe, if the new Time Capsule turns out as currently expected; this will be the start of Apple giving us the Apple Home Server (of which I have also expounded upon more than once in these forums) to complement the 'new' paradigm of computing; that being assorted smartphones, tablets & media devices (TV) being sorted & synced to the central unit (the Home Server)… Power users will, of course, still buy laptops & iMacs and the such…

For my rant on Apple Home Servers see:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=87044