Apple reportedly shifting Airport base stations to use iOS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Now, this info makes sense because the biggest problem with the cloud is that Internet is asymmetrical for most.

It also has the potential to 'fix' several annoying things about iOS like not being able to update the OS on the iDevices themselves (while this is already possible with Apple TV) and downloading the same OS multiple times.

J.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Long story short, I believe, if the new Time Capsule turns out as currently expected; this will be the start of Apple giving us the Apple Home Server (of which I have also expounded upon more than once in these forums) to complement the 'new' paradigm of computing; that being assorted smartphones, tablets & media devices (TV) being sorted & synced to the central unit (the Home Server)? Power users will, of course, still buy laptops & iMacs and the such?

For my rant on Apple Home Servers see:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=87044

Nice rant... prescient!
  • Reply 63 of 98
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

For your consideration, all from the same original thread:

Long story short, I believe, if the new Time Capsule turns out as currently expected; this will be the start of Apple giving us the Apple Home Server

Start I hope it is a reality! Ideally this will be a server that can live without 24/7 Internet access and is suitably portable.

As it is I was in the Apple store just a couple of weeks ago looking at Timecapsule and decided against it. The problem was to little in the way of flexibility for the given cost. I was actually think of going either NAS or a mire traditional Linux server, now I will wait.

Quote:

(of which I have also expounded upon more than once in these forums) to complement the 'new' paradigm of computing; that being assorted smartphones, tablets & media devices (TV) being sorted & synced to the central unit (the Home Server)?

If all of that happens over WiFi transparently that would be fantastic. Honestly though they could offer up the syncing over WiFi to your primary computer. You see syncing to me is slightly different than having what amounts to a smart Time Capsule.

Quote:

Power users will, of course, still buy laptops & iMacs and the such?

Power Users? You can't be serious. Owning a laptop or iMac does not mean you are a power user.

Quote:

A good home server would be a wonderful thing no doubt there. Especially if it can serve up your media needs, do the backup thing and other server chores. I honestly wonder if A5 is up to the task. However iOS would be perfect for this task as it is both secure and relatively fast.

In any event I'm actually hoping for a vastly improved Time Capsule / home server device next week. Not a start but rather something that fits into a Mini case and is salable next week.
  • Reply 64 of 98
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

While a milled aluminum case would be greener than white plastic and help the device run cooler I worry about the cost.

I've yet to see a decent analysis of what "greener" is (and don't get me started about the mostly well meaning, but moronic efforts of Greenpeace.)

Aluminum is more valued as a recycling material and is pretty easily recyled, but it contains a huge amount of embodied energy in it's extraction, production, and recycling.

On the other hand, many plastics can be efficiently reused, if properly formulated, and are essentially produced from petroleum waste products. But most of it ends up in a landfill or the ocean. The greenest things Apple does are making energy effiecient, low packing waste products that people love, and that last 3 or 4 times as long as competing products. Their recent move toward better recyclability and lower toxicity is a great bonus.
  • Reply 65 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I've yet to see a decent analysis of what "greener" is (and don't get me started about the mostly well meaning, but moronic efforts of Greenpeace.)

Aluminum is more valued as a recycling material and is pretty easily recyled, but it contains a huge amount of embodied energy in it's extraction, production, and recycling.

On the other hand, many plastics can be efficiently reused, if properly formulated, and are essentially produced from petroleum waste products. But most of it ends up in a landfill or the ocean. The greenest things Apple does are making energy effiecient, low packing waste products that people love, and that last 3 or 4 times as long as competing products. Their recent move toward better recyclability and lower toxicity is a great bonus.

I can't say I agree with your assessment. That longevity o their products is in part because they use of aluminum over plastic. I don't recall any aluminium chassis replacement programs.

I believe bauxite to aluminum is a 4:1 ratio. I also seem to recall aluminum that was minded over 100 years ago accounts for most of the "new" aluminium used today due to recycling, so even with an initial cost to the environment the total cost of pollution ? not unlike the TCO of Macs*? is lower.

I have a friend who buys a new "green" car ever year because she thinks she's helping the environment when all she's doing is helping the economy. You have a lower carbon footprint by buying an old car.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Start I hope it is a reality! Ideally this will be a server that can live without 24/7 Internet access and is suitably portable.

As it is I was in the Apple store just a couple of weeks ago looking at Timecapsule and decided against it. The problem was to little in the way of flexibility for the given cost. I was actually think of going either NAS or a mire traditional Linux server, now I will wait.

If all of that happens over WiFi transparently that would be fantastic. Honestly though they could offer up the syncing over WiFi to your primary computer. You see syncing to me is slightly different than having what amounts to a smart Time Capsule.

Power Users? You can't be serious. Owning a laptop or iMac does not mean you are a power user.

A good home server would be a wonderful thing no doubt there. Especially if it can serve up your media needs, do the backup thing and other server chores. I honestly wonder if A5 is up to the task. However iOS would be perfect for this task as it is both secure and relatively fast.

In any event I'm actually hoping for a vastly improved Time Capsule / home server device next week. Not a start but rather something that fits into a Mini case and is salable next week.

Depending on how they package the solution, I should think an A5 could handle it. I see several options.

1) a basic server/backup/sync/router for homes without a computer and a few iDevices only -- $99-$149 including iCloud services.

2) a more robust offering with more RAM, more HDD storage to handle several computers and more iDevices

3) a Pro model with unlimited HDD (external RAID) for home and professional use-- editing videos with FCPX, etc.

Where it gets interesting, is that #3 could in effect be multiple #2s (and even #1s) .

There is no reason that several A5 "little boxes" couldn't each handle part of the "home server" function -- as your needs increase, just pug in another "little box" and it automatically joins the "home server" team and assumes its share of the work.

Apple already has software that does much of this -- some in OS X, some in iOS and some in FCP.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't say I agree with your assessment. That longevity o their products is in part because they use of aluminum over plastic. I don't recall any aluminium chassis replacement programs.

I believe bauxite to aluminum is a 4:1 ratio. I also seem to recall aluminum that was minded over 100 years ago accounts for most of the "new" aluminium used today due to recycling, so even with an initial cost to the environment the total cost of pollution ? not unlike the TCO of Macs*? is lower.

I have a friend who buys a new "green" car ever year because she thinks she's helping the environment when all she's doing is helping the economy. You have a lower carbon footprint by buying an old car.

I think you misunderstood me. But your response does confirm my main point, which is that assessing "greenness" is usually not done very rigorously and is not easy.

Indeed, Al is very recyclable. But does take a huge amount of energy to remelt it (at around 700°C.) Then there's the reforming, milling, finishing etc. (the precesses used impact the calculation as much as the choice of material.) Steel and aluminum definitely are more benign than plastic though. Throw them away and the first two are no problem while plastic is often a big problem.

Anyway, Apple products have almost always been sturdier than competitors. Even the original Macs with heavy lead glass CRTs, steel/aluminum chassis, and all plastic cases were objects of desire that lasted almost forever. Psychologically, they were hard to throw away (I had 2 Mac+ or Classics or something [one of the last B&W models] that I only got rid of a few years ago when Apple offered a recycling discount.)

RE Green Car:

My 1997 Saturn SW2 has 200k miles, still looks pretty nice (if a bit dated) and it has always gotten 30 MPG. I bet we both agree it is my greenest vehicle choice for at least another 100k miles or so.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I believe the A5 should be fast enough to do light home serving needs as most of your low end NAS units have been using ARM cores for years and more recently have started using ATOM processors which aren't that much faster than an A5.

The key is to start out conservative and not overwhelm consumers. Do NOT call it a Server in any way or many will freak out lol.

I'd love to see a Time Capsule that has a 2TB and 3TB hard drive along with external expansion via USB.

I want Airplay and Airprint support so I can stream from a Time Capsule directly to an Apple TV. I want the ability to partition the 2 or 3 TB drive so that I can say do a portion for Time Machine backups and then the rest for media.

I want to be able to access the Time Capsule via Back to My Mac by simply plugging in my Apple ID. I want to be able to create WebDAV folders for easy sharing of files without a computer in the chain.

I want to be able to cache updates so that I can save bandwidth by downloading the Mac and iOS updates that I need once.

I want iCloud support and the ability to cache streaming video files and Airplay them to whatever device I want.

I want a Universal Airport Utility for configuring

The next generation would come in two years and offer quad core processing and many more advancements from iOS 7
  • Reply 69 of 98
    Quote:

I also seem to recall aluminum that was minded over 100 years ago accounts for most of the "new" aluminium used today due to recycling, . . .

I forgot to say that you got this backwards.

It should be,

"Most (@75%) of the Aluminum mined 100 years ago is still used today, due to recycling."

Because Al is essentially infinitely reusable it's use in production has expanded greatly. For many years now (in the US, at least) about 1/3 of Al production comes from recycled materials and 2/3 from newly mined Bauxite.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    Quote:

I forgot to say that you got this backwards.

It should be,

"Most (@75%) of the Aluminum mined 100 years ago is still used today, due to recycling."

Because Al is essentially infinitely reusable it's use in production has expanded greatly. For many years now (in the US, at least) about 1/3 of Al production comes from recycled materials and 2/3 from newly mined Bauxite.

I think my ironic inclusion of the word "new" is making my sentence confusing. If you remove it it still reads the same way I intended: "I also seem to recall aluminum that was minded over 100 years ago accounts for most of the aluminium used today due to recycling."
  • Reply 71 of 98
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    You've got to be kidding me. I just ordered a new Dual Band Airport Extreme from MacMall this week. It shipped yesterday. Goddammit, now I'll have to return it and wait for the new ones.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    Quote:

I think my ironic inclusion of the word "new" is making my sentence confusing. If you remove it it still reads the same way I intended: "I also seem to recall aluminum that was minded over 100 years ago accounts for most of the aluminium used today due to recycling."

But it doesn't.

Aluminum production didn't get rolling until the 1880's. Aluminum mined more than 100 years ago is unlikely to amount to more than a fraction of a % of just the last year's production of Aluminum from newly mined Bauxite.

Aluminum melted in the past year originates 2/3 from new ore and 1/3 from recycled Aluminum scrap (of any age.)
  • Reply 73 of 98
    Quote:

But it doesn't.

Aluminum production didn't get rolling until the 1880's. Aluminum mined more than 100 years ago is unlikely to amount to more than a fraction of a % of just the last year's production of Aluminum from newly mined Bauxite.

Aluminum melted in the past year originates 2/3 from new ore and 1/3 from recycled Aluminum scrap (of any age.)

Ah, you are correct, I see the difference in our statements. I'm multitasking here so my attention is split. I did mean to write to what you quoted not the "accounts for" bit in my statement.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    Where are the Airport base stations in short supply? I checked a few places and all of them have stock and ship right away. Including the Apple store. Provantage has more than 250 in stock.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    Quote:

Ah, you are correct, I see the difference in our statements. I'm multitasking here so my attention is split. I did mean to write to what you quoted not the "accounts for" bit in my statement.

No prob.

As a former geologist I've heard many people assert what (I think) you said (whether or not you meant it.) It's become an oft repeated "urban legend" kind of fallacy. The infinite recyclability of Aluminum is amazing enough without the accidental exaggeration of it. (I think I first head the exaggerated story on a foundry tour in my home town with Explorer Scouts.
  • Reply 76 of 98
    I want to know when I can plug a disk into my ATV G2.

Has Firecore figured that out yet?
  • Reply 77 of 98
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    I would love this, especially if this meant that my ATV2 (which is connected to my LAN) could also become a second base station for my wireless. All the hardware is there in the ATV2, it only needs the software.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

A badly designed aluminum component is just as bad as a poorly designed plastic one.

Quote:

Aluminum does recycle well. In fact there are whole hobbies dedicated to using recycled aluminum to build things with. Look up the hobby casting sites and Gingery Machines for examples. Still each the melt down process is not without its expenses and impacts.

Quote:

This is something I've come to realize, the high turn over rate for automobiles that we as Americans have been programmed to engage in is pretty bad. There are many factors but the last couple of vehicles I've owned I ran until they became to troublesome, in the last case 9 years. It isn't just an environmental impact either the drain on ones finances is significant. Sadly the motivation to buy new frequently seems to be all about appearances.
  • Reply 79 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sadly the motivation to buy new frequently seems to be all about appearances.

Yup that is it entirely. Plus the false idea that when a car is 3 years old it is better to replace it before it has breakdowns instead of repairing it. I keep cars a long time. I had my GTI for 16 years. Granted new cars have better efficiency and pollution controls, but manufacturing a new car is way more wasteful of resources and energy than keeping an old one that pollutes a little more.

Edit: Except for cars (and trucks in particular) that are really old and have little or no pollution controls. These are gross polluters and completely negate the idea of keeping an older vehicle to use fewer manufacturing resources.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Long story short, I believe, if the new Time Capsule turns out as currently expected; this will be the start of Apple giving us the Apple Home Server (of which I have also expounded upon more than once in these forums) to complement the 'new' paradigm of computing; that being assorted smartphones, tablets & media devices (TV) being sorted & synced to the central unit (the Home Server)? Power users will, of course, still buy laptops & iMacs and the such?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=87044

What are you complaining about?

Apple already offers a very nice home server:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/