Apple's iCloud will automatically store, sync data for free

Comments

• Reply 41 of 155
    What does icloud do with non-calendar, non-email and non-contact data on iDisk?

Does it become free storage?
  • Reply 42 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

And how would you plan to use it without buying an IPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

Anyway, how long will you be using a PC once you have your IPhone and iPad?

finally a reason to locate my ipad....its under the bed or some books somewhere...i dunno haven't touched it in days...no...wait....here it is....nope. still useless.
  • Reply 43 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) These 9 free features with no ads should put Ireland on iCloud 9.

2) They have already removed my expiration date from the MM preference pane, but it's still showing on the website. However, the expiration on the website is an extra 9 months ending on June 30th, 2012.
    3) I can't be the only one that was momentarily tricked by this optical illusion.
  • Reply 44 of 155
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

If I heard Steve right and that they now consider Macs as just another device, then this won't work for me as it is limited to 10 devices.

My family of three has (under 1 iTunes account):

2 - iMacs

1 - Mac Mini

1 - MacBook Pro

3 - iPhone 4s

2 - Apple TVs

1 - iPad

3 - iPod Touch (one for each Car)

13 Devices. Am I doing this wrong somehow?

The only error is that you have too many devices for the one account that you have.
  • Reply 45 of 155
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    iCloud: So if you take a photo of your ass with your iPhone because you're worried you might be developing a rash, it appears on the family's Apple TV ?!

"These are not the roids you are looking for."
  • Reply 46 of 155
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

just wait until all the carriers change that as a condition of a new device upgrade

Though it could happen I'm doubtful, AT&T could probably care less for the small minority of us who grandfathered into unlimited 3G data.
  • Reply 47 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Futurists and prognosticators chime in...

iCloud service is free to start in order to get people hooked. Then bam...a year or two down the road it will no longer be free.

When has that EVER been Apple's MO? Things get less expensive with them not more.
  • Reply 48 of 155
    johnnyb0731johnnyb0731 Posts: 326member
    So what happens between June 30th and the launch of iCloud?
  • Reply 49 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

So if you take a photo of your ass with your iPhone because you're worried you might be developing a rash, it appears on the family's Apple TV ?!

No, that automatically goes to your Twitter account for the world to see.
  • Reply 50 of 155
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

I don't think they're going to make us pay for iCloud, ever. They are locking us in with the free offer, but not to make us pay for the service later -- to force us use their hardware. It's a smart move. And I don't really care, anyway.. I'll happily use their hardware.

"Ever" stops at 5gig. Once you pass "Ever" you will be charged.
  • Reply 51 of 155
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Futurists and prognosticators chime in...

iCloud service is free to start in order to get people hooked. Then bam...a year or two down the road it will no longer be free.

The 5gb it need to sync devices will always be free...

All itunes purchased are store in the cloud for free

its the xtras that will cost you:

Want to upload your cd collection: 25$/year

to come: movies: gonna be a fee to upload what you purchased (or pirated) elsewhere.
  • Reply 52 of 155
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

just wait until all the carriers change that as a condition of a new device upgrade

Yep, the carriers haven't weighed in yet. This will effect us all, regardless of whether we use it.
  • Reply 53 of 155
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

iCloud: So if you take a photo of your ass with your iPhone because you're worried you might be developing a rash, it appears on the family's Apple TV ?!

Now that was funny....and disturbing......that pic would automatically go to facebook....
  • Reply 54 of 155
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Look out politicians and athletes! I foresee many "Oops! Did I just post that?" moments
  • Reply 55 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

I want to know how this is going to impact my data plan.

iCloud may be free for now, but this is going to be transferring a LOT of data over 3G.

So it looks like "free" from Apple means me paying $10-$25 more a month with AT&T on a new data plan or overages.

UPDATE: looks like iCloud is WiFi only for now. (still watching keynote...)

Yes, it only backs up over WiFi.
  • Reply 56 of 155
    aleghartaleghart Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This iCloud doesn't seem to be running Apple hardware:

Sure...these are new 60" wide racks...better than the standard 19" racks. And instead of using 4' or 8' fluorescent lights, they've upgraded to 20-foot-long tubes. Not to mention, they've hired Lilliputian admins/monkeys to push the buttons, and climb the new 100u racks.

A sad hack job on the photo.
  • Reply 57 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by titomcgee View Post

Looks like Apple is taking care of people until June 30 next year:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

Thanks for the link, but this is still shit! All they are doing is extending something for a year that people just paid $100.00 for that is now FREE. They can extend it for 10 years, so what, it is now FREE and folks just paid for it as recently as yesterday.

The support page is also not real clear with what happens to family pack members. I assume each one will convert their own @me.com address to an iCloud thingy while keeping thier @me.com address?

Also, I have a family pack with 4 @me.com address that have nothing to do with my account id for iTunes. How does that work?

Do I need to change the email/id to my Mobile Me email for iCloud to work?

Will they still be able to have different @me.com iCloud email addresses, but sync/ with my one iTunes account through iCloud?

Wait my head just exploded.
  • Reply 58 of 155
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I am REALLY worried about this as well. Are there any developers in here who have a beta of Lion who can confirm the "iDisk" still in Finder's "Go" menu?

Well remain scared. This Apple Support Page link seems to indicate that iDisk and iWeb hosting won't be around after June 30, 2012. Yikes! Does that mean Web Gallery is going away as well? I LOVE sharing pictures through Web Gallery!
  • Reply 59 of 155
    xero910xero910 Posts: 41member
    Looks like MobileMe is officially dead. http://www.apple.com/mobileme/
  • Reply 60 of 155
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

"Ever" stops at 5gig. Once you pass "Ever" you will be charged.

5GB of documents and other tadbits of data.

A lot of the things that consume large amounts of data (photos, music) are "covered" on Apple's end, which I really didn't expect.