First taste of Apple's iCloud available with iTunes 10.3, iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just moments after Apple announced its new iCloud service, the company's iOS App Store and iTunes Store were dynamically updated with a new "Purchased" tab for re-downloading software and content, and iTunes 10.3 was released for Mac and PC.

Updated: Apple's iTunes 10.3 download link is now working.

The iTunes 10.3 beta can now be downloaded direct from Apple. Content purchased can now be re-downloaded on any device -- including Mac, PC and iOS -- at no cost.

The new iTunes also includes the iBookstore for Mac and PC, allowing for "an unabridged browsing and shopping experience."

Users can also find "Purchased" software in the iOS App Store by selecting the "Updates" tab. From there, in addition to available updates, the "Purchased" section can also be viewed.

The new feature offers a thorough list of all software that has been purchased on the authorized Apple ID signed in on the iOS device. A convenient "Not On this iPhone" tab also allows users to only view applications that are owned, but not currently installed.

Similarly, purchased songs can also be viewed in the iOS iTunes Store application. Content that has been purchased from the iTunes Store can be sorted by artist name, in a list of recent purchases, or a complete list of songs.

All content is presented with a cloud icon, connecting the new functionality with the just-announced iCloud service. While Monday's quick updates offer a taste of iCloud, the full service -- including wireless syncing of content and data -- will roll out with the launch of iOS 5 this fall.

The functionality of "iTunes in the Cloud" can also be extended to music ripped from a personal CD collection with Apple's newly announced iTunes Match, available for $24.99 per year. The new service will match up a user's personal library of songs with the 18 million high-quality tracks available on the iTunes Store, and that content can also be re-downloaded to multiple devices, like an iPhone or iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    mateus109mateus109 Posts: 24member
    I great new feature but I'm sure I am not the only one who's download a ton of sh*t over the past few years, and now it's all come back to haunt me in the Purchased view.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    The link to 10.3 still takes me to 10.2.2.

Anyone else having success?
  • Reply 3 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Note: The actual file is still 10.2.2.
  • Reply 4 of 93
    mortenamortena Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by innocent_bystander View Post

The link to 10.3 still takes me to 10.2.2.

Anyone else having success?

It will not work outside US.

Mortena
  • Reply 5 of 93
    Same, still 10.2.2
  • Reply 6 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortena View Post

It will not work outside US.

Mortena

I am in new york and it still takes me to 10.22
  • Reply 7 of 93
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    I am disappoint.

Highly unlike Apple to have incorrect link like this. AppleInsider also apparently didn't do any verification.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    Should have a way to permanently delete "purchased apps" from the iCloud. A bunch of stupid shite that just needs to go away and clutters my view. I deleted it for a reason.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Highly unlike Apple to have incorrect link like this.

This happens in multiple places on Apple's various sites after every single keynote.

Quote:

AppleInsider also apparently didn't do any verification.

Except the link does work in places.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This happens in multiple places on Apple's various sites after every single keynote.

Can you point to a correct link for 10.3? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks!
  • Reply 11 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric Nanneman View Post

Can you point to a correct link for 10.3? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

It's the same link that every site says it's on and the link you get when you click the button to download iTunes from Apple.

The file just hasn't been pushed everywhere yet.

If you're downloading 10.2.2, just wait a few hours to a day until it switches over.
  • Reply 12 of 93
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Pretty cool?all my iOS devices just chimed at once to tell me of the new setting. I switched it On (for books and music, at least) and read few iBooks pages on my iPhone. Walked over to my iPad, opened the same book, and it was sitting on the correct page (Despite the fact that iPad and iPhone pages hold different amounts of text.)
  • Reply 13 of 93
    kimhillkimhill Posts: 8member
    Still only 10.2.2 here in NYC, too.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    The stores on my iphone have changed but not the itunes link on my pc.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    My iPad is showing the update in the App Store, but my Verizon iPhone doesn't show any iCloud feature as pictured above at all. Hmm. My iPad also made me agree to new T&C - no update on iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 93
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateus109 View Post

I great new feature but I'm sure I am not the only one who's download a ton of sh*t over the past few years, and now it's all come back to haunt me in the Purchased view.

Like, that "how to cheat and not get caught" app? Um, you're so screwed.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    biggsjmbiggsjm Posts: 25member
    Any word on whether Apple will allow you to consolidate Apple IDs? I have like 5 that I've used over the past few years. Many are one's that I could no longer use due to losing a domain or a mobile me user name that I lost after discontinuing service.
  • Reply 18 of 93
    dawho9dawho9 Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Should have a way to permanently delete "purchased apps" from the iCloud. A bunch of stupid shite that just needs to go away and clutters my view. I deleted it for a reason.

OMG, never noticed how many stupid apps my wife had downloaded until now. Well, I guess we wait for the next update, however, it is pretty cool none the less.

DJ
  • Reply 19 of 93
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

Any word on whether Apple will allow you to consolidate Apple IDs? I have like 5 that I've used over the past few years. Many are one's that I could no longer use due to losing a domain or a mobile me user name that I lost after discontinuing service.

What about two people sharing an Apple ID? Can they operate separately in iCloud?
  • Reply 20 of 93
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not a good look. They are already failing.