Lion Lack of Rosetta Support: Deal Killer?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It is for me. I run too many PPC apps, some of which are not replaceable. A move to Lion would be extremely painful.

What's worse, Apple has notified MobileMe users that "iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users." What does that mean for MobileMe subscribers who don't migrate to Lion? Will we get cut off from the services we've used for years as MobileMe and .Mac? Apparently so, as the notice also says that our MobileMe subscriptions are automatically extended until the end of June 2012. After that it seems to be Lion or nothing.

That's like telling us we can shoot ourselves or cut our throats. Thanks for the choice, Apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Apple didn't say iCloud would be unavailable for non-Lion/iOS5 users. I would expect chunks of iCloud will be available pay-for-play for non-Lion users, but we won't hear much about that until the full pricing comes out in the fall. I also expect some of the iCloud functionality just plain won't work without Lion, but as long as pricing reflects that it would be reasonable.

However it ends up, going all woe-is-me before the fat lady sings is a bit premature.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I can only base my conclusions on what Apple has said about iCloud. The terms for Lion users were clearly stated and for non-Lion users, completely unstated. If Apple is going to support any of the features of MobileMe for non-upgraders I think we'd know something of this now. No point in being in denial.

We saw a lot of the same when the first news came out that Apple would be ditching Rosetta in Lion. Many could not believe it was true, given the hardship this would cause for many users. Yet we see today that this is now virtually assured. Many of us are going to be unable to upgrade for this reason alone.

I think Apple has made two very bad decisions, vis-a-vis current and longtime users. Unless Apple abruptly changes these plans then I would say that the outcry is just beginning.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    As a MobileMe user i'm most concerned about website space.

I like to dabble with iWork and I hope that's still a viable option to host my own basic site. I'm sure much more will be revealed before Fall and I'll be fine.

As for Rosetta ...looks like that ship has sailed.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    That too. This is such an obvious issue that I think we'd know something about how Apple plans on supporting former MobileMe services in Snow Leopard, if they had any such plans. After the cut of Rosetta, I don't have any confidence that all will be fine.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It is for me. I run too many PPC apps, some of which are not replaceable. A move to Lion would be extremely painful.

What's worse, Apple has notified MobileMe users that "iCloud is free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users." What does that mean for MobileMe subscribers who don't migrate to Lion? Will we get cut off from the services we've used for years as MobileMe and .Mac? Apparently so, as the notice also says that our MobileMe subscriptions are automatically extended until the end of June 2012. After that it seems to be Lion or nothing.

That's like telling us we can shoot ourselves or cut our throats. Thanks for the choice, Apple!

What apps do you run in Rosetta?

I have an older version of MS office that I *may* upgrade to 2011. Than again I may not. I'm waiting to see what the new iWork looks like and how it handles office 2011 files.

I can live without rosetta.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    I think my printer uses Rosetta drivers. I have no need to upgrade my printer. It certainly slows me down.

Maybe the $100 I'm saving in the cost of Lion will motivate me to buy another printer?
  • Reply 7 of 47
    I just watched the Apple Keynote from WWDC.

Lion has a few great Features.

And iCloud is great.

But i have to start Freehand for the next few years.......

Thats such a bad situation.....

So i can't upgrade to lion.

But that isn't all:

I can't buy a new Mac in a few Weeks - because since they will be shipped with Lion they won't boot in SnowLeopard anymore.

What can i do?

Do you think there will be any Chance or any Hack to start Freehand in Lion anytime?
  • Reply 8 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graubereich View Post

But that isn't all:

I can't buy a new Mac in a few Weeks - because since they will be shipped with Lion they won't boot in SnowLeopard anymore.

Incorrect. Only new hardware is rendered unbootable in older versions of the OS. All current hardware will run Snow Leopard even if Lion is preinstalled.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    I also want apple to support my PS2 Monitor, my Floppy disks and my UltraCard expansion cards natively! Otherwise I'm not buying a Mac Pro!
  • Reply 10 of 47
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graubereich View Post

I just watched the Apple Keynote from WWDC.

Lion has a few great Features.

And iCloud is great.

But i have to start Freehand for the next few years.......

Thats such a bad situation.....

So i can't upgrade to lion.

But that isn't all:

What can i do?

Do you think there will be any Chance or any Hack to start Freehand in Lion anytime?

Get a copy of Parallels and run SL in that.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

What apps do you run in Rosetta?

Quicken, for one. It's been pointed out many times that this is abandonware for the Mac, and nothing on the market currently can replace it. We use it for our company accounting. I also run an older version of FileMaker, which does fine in Rosetta. We use it for our company invoicing. So one is irreplaceable, and the other a costly upgrade.

I don't honestly know how many others, and I wasn't looking for an opportunity to find out.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:

Quicken, for one. It's been pointed out many times that this is abandonware for the Mac, and nothing on the market currently can replace it. We use it for our company accounting. I also run an older version of FileMaker, which does fine in Rosetta. We use it for our company invoicing. So one is irreplaceable, and the other a costly upgrade.

I don't want to tell you how to run your business, but have you looked at quickbooks or AccountEdge? I use account Edge for my business and its been fantastic for me.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

I don't want to tell you how to run your business, but have you looked at quickbooks or AccountEdge? I use account Edge for my business and its been fantastic for me.

AccountEdge is a lot more than I need, throws a learning curve at me, and costs $300. Add another $300 for an upgrade to FileMaker and this "free" service is starting to look kind of costly, not to mention disruptive.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

AccountEdge is a lot more than I need, throws a learning curve at me, and costs $300. Add another $300 for an upgrade to FileMaker and this "free" service is starting to look kind of costly, not to mention disruptive.

I am not trying to argue with you but Apple has a pretty strong track record of orphaning laggards on the platform. If you don't keep up you can be reasonably assured that at some point you'll face the predicament that you are in.

It sucks but, you'll have to decide whether 10.6 is good enough or whether 10.7 has enough features to make it worth the cost and hassle. I do this assessment at each upgrade. I've keep up because you never know when Apple will release some killer feature you have to have. Frankly Lion doesn't look that impressive to me but for $29 I'll upgrade if it doesn't break my billing and EHR software.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

I am not trying to argue with you but Apple has a pretty strong track record of orphaning laggards on the platform. If you don't keep up you can be reasonably assured that at some point you'll face the predicament that you are in.

It sucks but, you'll have to decide whether 10.6 is good enough or whether 10.7 has enough features to make it worth the cost and hassle. I do this assessment at each upgrade. I've keep up because you never know when Apple will release some killer feature you have to have. Frankly Lion doesn't look that impressive to me but for $29 I'll upgrade if it doesn't break my billing and EHR software.

In reality, they don't. They managed the 68k to PPC transition so seamlessly that few users even noticed. They did the same for Classic to OSX. They did it again for PPC to Intel. The Snow Leopard to Lion transition isn't as great in technological terms and yet they are forcing many users into a dilemma.

The point I'm making is that Apple is giving me a choice between two types of pain. If I don't upgrade to Lion I lose my syncing services. If I do upgrade, I lose my PPC apps. This is something new in my long experience with Apple, and very unwelcome.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:

In reality, they don't. They managed the 68k to PPC transition so seamlessly that few users even noticed. They did the same for Classic to OSX. They did it again for PPC to Intel. The Snow Leopard to Lion transition isn't as great in technological terms and yet they are forcing many users into a dilemma.

Don't mean to thread derail... but I'm bored so whet the hell. Your examples prove my point. Remember how Classic was dropped in 10.5 even for PPC machines? Remember 10.6 dropping PPC altogether? Remember the whole carbon fiasco?

When Apple drops hints that they are moving in a certain direction you better plan for the future. Apple gave strong indications that those technologies were dead ends. If you were os are dependent upon them you need to plan for a transition. Apple don't support legacy technology like MS does and probably never will with Jobs at the helm.

My EHR is written using Java. I believe at some point Java will not be supported on OSX. The handwriting is on the wall. I'm already talking to my vendor to see what they plan to do. They seem to suggest that they will always support Mac and will transition to something else. Nonetheless, I'm already thinking about what I'll do if they do not. So I'm looking at other vendors in case I have to migrate my data. I don't like it either and I understand the position you're in. But I know how Apple rolls too.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I don't think anyone has to worry about Java. OS X may not ship with Java anymore but Apple moved its Java stuff to someone else to handle it. They already handle it for other platforms.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I don't think anyone has to worry about Java. OS X may not ship with Java anymore but Apple moved its Java stuff to someone else to handle it. They already handle it for other platforms.

I'm not holding my breath. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

Moving it for someone else to handle is usually Apple speak for 'you're dead to me'.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:

Don't mean to thread derail... but I'm bored so whet the hell. Your examples prove my point. Remember how Classic was dropped in 10.5 even for PPC machines? Remember 10.6 dropping PPC altogether? Remember the whole carbon fiasco?

When Apple drops hints that they are moving in a certain direction you better plan for the future. Apple gave strong indications that those technologies were dead ends. If you were os are dependent upon them you need to plan for a transition. Apple don't support legacy technology like MS does and probably never will with Jobs at the helm.

My EHR is written using Java. I believe at some point Java will not be supported on OSX. The handwriting is on the wall. I'm already talking to my vendor to see what they plan to do. They seem to suggest that they will always support Mac and will transition to something else. Nonetheless, I'm already thinking about what I'll do if they do not. So I'm looking at other vendors in case I have to migrate my data. I don't like it either and I understand the position you're in. But I know how Apple rolls too.

Not to worry, you're on topic. I think you're overlooking that, as far as we know, MobileMe syncing is going away for users who don't upgrade to Lion.

I don't know about you, but I used the Classic Environment for at least five years. When it finally went away, I didn't feel like the rug had been yanked out. This time IS different. We're being forced to choose between our PPC apps (which otherwise still work fine), or losing a service we've had for years. Neither seems necessary. The worst part of this problem is that it leaves us without either some mission-critical apps or services. We can't have both no matter what we do, except maybe spend a lot of money and time. An upgrade should not be a trip backwards, and we should not lose anything we've had if we choose not to upgrade.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

I don't honestly know how many others, and I wasn't looking for an opportunity to find out.

i also use file maker

what version do you run

i use 5.5

i also use rosetta