First look: iOS 5 PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iOS 5 allows for PC Free setup over iCloud and new custom keyboard shortcuts. AppleInsider offers a first look at the developer build of iOS 5.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs and fellow executives unveiled iOS 5, the next major update to iOS, on Monday at the Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco. The software update includes 200 new features, such as an updated Notification Center and a new messaging service exclusively for iOS users..

"Perhaps iOS 5?s paramount feature is that it?s built to seamlessly work with iCloud in the Post PC revolution that Apple is leading," Jobs said during the WWDC keynote.

People familiar with the matter report that the PC Free setup feature has been enabled in the beta version of iOS 5. Apple now provides three ways to set up an iPhone: Set Up as new iPhone, Restore from iCloud Backup, Restore from iTunes.

Customers without a valid Apple ID can register for a free email address from iCloud. Apple's free iCloud service will support daily backups over Wi-Fi. Users can simply plugin their devices to a wall charger and the a backup will be initiated. iCloud offers 5GB of free storage for mail documents and backup, which doesn't count music, apps, books purchased from Apple.

Restoring from an iCloud backup is as easy as connecting the device to Wi-Fi and entering an Apple ID and password. According to Apple, "your personal data -- along with your purchased music, apps, and books from iTunes -- will appear on your devices. As if they'd always been there."

A new Reminders app has been added to iOS 5, as well as a Newsstand app for managing newspaper and magazine subscriptions. Apple also appears to have separated the iPod function into Music and Videos sections.

iOS 5 now offers custom keyboard shortcuts that can be added under Keyboard settings. Apple has also added support for a split screen keyboard.

Developers report that iMessage does not appear to be fully finished, though a FaceTime button has been added to the top of a message view. As previously reported, Apple has added system-level integration with Twitter. According to reports, Tweets can be sent from Apple's native apps, websites in Safari and photos in the Camera app via the sharing pane.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    new on/off sliders look snappier.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    slevit1slevit1 Posts: 15member
    So how does iCloud work with members who already have MobileMe?

I currently have a MobileMe account, but it is different than my Apple ID, which I've had for much longer than MobileMe. Obviously I want to keep using my current MobileMe e-mail address, but I'm assuming that iCloud will be working with my AppleID, which I use to log into the app store, etc. When you set up an iPhone with iOS 5 for the first time, do you have the option to enter your Apple ID for use with iCloud as well as your current MobileMe e-mail address? Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 3 of 62
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    The new iCloud stuff is the final piece to the puzzle. No more PC dependency!

Also, it looks like unlike iBooks. Newsstand is an aggregator of all your subscriptions and a way to quickly see all apps with subscriptions in one place - nice! Even better background downloads of new content.

Along with WiFi sync to iTunes - I'm a happy camper! Other than free tethering (carrier issue, not Apple's) everything I wanted and more has been addressed with iCloud or iOS 5. I can't wait!
  • Reply 4 of 62
    I still don't get it. I have 2 little siblings and they use my Apple ID to download the apps I bought for them. What happens then with iCloud? It seems that it makes everything more personal/individual rather than being able to share stuff? All the syncing and stuff too...
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post

Am I missing something here?

We all are - mainly the full migration details that are "coming later". I have MobileMe too - if you look at the iCloud info on Apple's web site, it mentions "Migrating" your mobile.me or mac.com email address to iCloud so there is apparently some sort of account reconciliation feature for just the scenario you find yourself in.

I guess time will tell...
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

I still don't get it. I have 2 little siblings and they use my Apple ID to download the apps I bought for them. What happens then with iCloud? It seems that it makes everything more personal/individual rather than being able to share stuff? All the syncing and stuff too...

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?
  • Reply 7 of 62
    slevit1slevit1 Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

We all are - mainly the full migration details that are "coming later". I have MobileMe too - if you look at the iCloud info on Apple's web site, it mentions "Migrating" your mobile.me or mac.com email address to iCloud so there is apparently some sort of account reconciliation feature for just the scenario you find yourself in.

I guess time will tell...

I was hoping that someone with access to the beta could answer this since they ought to be able to access it now. What do they do when they set up their device with iOS 5?

EDIT:

Perhaps I answered my own question. I found this line in Apple's e-mail to MobileMe member:

When you sign up for iCloud, you’ll be able to keep your MobileMe email address and move your mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

I'm assuming that you sign up for iCloud the first time you use iOS5, so maybe that takes care of it. If you've got access to the beta, could you confirm this?
  • Reply 8 of 62
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?

I was thinking the same thing - the obvious intent of the iTunes accounts is for me and my wife and 18month old to have different accounts (lets ignore the 18 month old and let her use ours?). Then if I buy apps they'll be on my iPhone, my wife's will be on her iPhone, our [email protected] emails will be separate, different calendars and contacts, and our own safari bookmarks.

The first problem of course is that I don't want to buy my daughter 2 sets of the same apps, depending on whether she's on my iPhone or her mum's. The second problem is that we share the iPad and Apple doesn't have a facility to switch user IDs, so it has to be mine or hers.

The more important problem is that when watching AppleTV, it can only see the one computer that shares the same AppleID, so we can't stream from either Mac. Then too when we use our iPhone to remote control the AppleTV it'll only recognise the iPhone with the same AppleID. We also want "find my iPhone" to find all 3 devices.

So there's a problem. We really have to merge IDs to some degree. It'll be interesting to work out what that degree is, in terms of what will actually work and in terms of what's legal. It isn't at all clear.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    bigtarbigtar Posts: 1member
    So my wife and I each need to buy our own copies of music or movies? That's ridiculous. Oh, and my two kids each have an iPod touch. I should probably have to buy each of them a copy of whatever digital media we all watch. Four copies of a movie or album. Everyone buys a separate CD or DVD for each member of their household.

As much as the music and movie people would love it, I don't think that's what Apple has in mind. I'd be surprised if their weren't some sort of filters when the whole thing goes live.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    luinilluinil Posts: 59member
    A family ID grouping several Apple ID would be a solution.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    bsgincbsginc Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigtar View Post

So my wife and I each need to buy our own copies of music or movies? That's ridiculous. Oh, and my two kids each have an iPod touch. I should probably have to buy each of them a copy of whatever digital media we all watch. Four copies of a movie or album. Everyone buys a separate CD or DVD for each member of their household.

As much as the music and movie people would love it, I don't think that's what Apple has in mind. I'd be surprised if their weren't some sort of filters when the whole thing goes live.

It would appear that, as long as you continue to share the same ase ID within a family group, you will also be able to share media as well. Apple appear to be moving in the direction of treating multiple devices owned by one owner or family as a family set. Consequently, one price creates a universal family license ... To wit, you pay $30 for Lion and can update all your Macs, samevas with apps on iOS and OSX.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigtar View Post

So my wife and I each need to buy our own copies of music or movies?

I agree it would be foolish to buy our music twice. But I'm not sure the music distributors wouldn't have tried for that in their license. That may explain the strange situation at present - you really do need a separate AppleID for your own calendars etc, but the same ID for using the AppleTV.

Of course if the music distributors recognised that EVEN IF the original way records were 'officially' theoretically used does match a much more tightly controlled system, they never were that controlled, and unreasonable demands leads to piracy.

Perhaps they intend you to share your music with the other AppleID account, but I wonder whether that music would upload in the new iCloud?
  • Reply 13 of 62
    longfanglongfang Posts: 443member
    Well since an iOS device can have multiple Apple ID's associated with it, in a family setting you could have all devices use the same account for purchased items and a separate Apple ID for each device for syncing the other stuff like mail, contacts, etc...
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longfang View Post

Well since an iOS device can have multiple Apple ID's associated with it, in a family setting you could have all devices use the same account for purchased items and a separate Apple ID for each device for syncing the other stuff like mail, contacts, etc...

Doesn't that just circle back to "that's how we do it now"?

Whereas the concern is the use of iTunes Cloud in conjunction with the document Cloud etc, and whether that's a problem?
  • Reply 15 of 62
    mateus109mateus109 Posts: 24member
    Slightly off topic but am I the only one who find the clock icon REALLY annoying that it shows a static image. The weather icon updates, so why can't the clock? I was hoping iOS5 would bring this subtle change.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateus109 View Post

Slightly off topic but am I the only one who find the clock icon REALLY annoying that it shows a static image. The weather icon updates, so why can't the clock? I was hoping iOS5 would bring this subtle change.

the weather icon also doesn't update. unless you install a jailbreak app that changes it. and yes, both of these would have been 'nice to have' tweaks i guess. (especially given the amount of other stuff they have "borrowed" from the jailbreak community.

physical shutter release for the win!
  • Reply 17 of 62
    mateus109mateus109 Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

the weather icon also doesn't update.

My mistake, I should have said calender icon updates.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post

So how does iCloud work with members who already have MobileMe?

I currently have a MobileMe account, but it is different than my Apple ID, which I've had for much longer than MobileMe. Obviously I want to keep using my current MobileMe e-mail address, but I'm assuming that iCloud will be working with my AppleID, which I use to log into the app store, etc. When you set up an iPhone with iOS 5 for the first time, do you have the option to enter your Apple ID for use with iCloud as well as your current MobileMe e-mail address? Am I missing something here?

At present it notifies you that your MobileMe account has not been migrated over to iCloud. You can still use MobileMe as normal though.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    [QUOTE=slevit1;1877112]So how does iCloud work with members who already have MobileMe?

I currently have a MobileMe account, but it is different than my Apple ID, which I've had for much longer than MobileMe. You'll be fine, Apple said they'll help us migrate over to iCloud later in the year. My ID and me differ too. You'll be fine.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

The new iCloud stuff is the final piece to the puzzle. No more PC dependency!!

Did they add photo upload in Safari mobile?