iPad sales reach 25M milestone, Apple on track for 8M+ this quarter

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple this week revealed that iPad sales have reached 25 million in just 14 months, a sum that also suggests the company is on pace to exceed sales of 8 million touchscreen tablets this quarter.

Apple announced the milestone of 25 million iPad sales on Monday in its Worldwide Developers Conference keynote. The data point was picked up on by Wall Street analysts.

Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities noted that by the end of the March quarter, Apple had sold a total of 19.48 million iPads. The announcement of 25 million sold means that Apple has sold at least 5.52 million iPads in the first two months of the June quarter.

If sales were to continue at that pace, that would put Apple on track to sell 8.28 million iPads in the June quarter. That's a number well ahead of the 4.69 million iPads sold in the March quarter, suggesting Apple has managed to address its inventory issues with the hot-selling iPad 2.

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray put the numbers even more in perspective, determining that Apple is selling about 87,000 iPads per day in the June quarter, based on Apple's numbers. He expects Apple to sell around 8 million in the quarter, a number higher than the 7 million he had previously predicted.

Chris Whitmore with Deutsche Bank said investors on Wall Street have been looking for Apple to report sales of 7.5 million iPads in the current quarter, which concludes at the end of June. If Apple were to report sales higher than 8 million, it would exceed expectations.

Mark Moskowitz of J.P. Morgan Research took a slightly different view from his peers, suggesting that the implied sales of 5.5 million iPads so far in the quarter could create "controversy." He suggested the sales pace could mean Apple could fall short of "bullish investor expectations" of 7.5 million units or more.

While Moskowitz's offers a different take on the numbers, he also said he is not worried about the iPad data point provided by Apple on Monday, as "there is plenty of time in the quarter." J.P. Morgan has predicted sales of 6.75 million iPads in the June quarter.

The iPad first went on sale in the U.S. in early April of 2010. It took 28 days for the device to reach its first million sales, and the device's popularity has only accelerated as availability has improved and Apple has expanded to more markets.

The launch of the iPad 2 in March was even more successful, but Apple struggled to keep up with demand for the second-generation device. Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook characterized his company's situation as "the mother of all backlogs" during his company's quarterly earnings conference call in April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    It is truly a runaway winner! Good for Apple. I don't see it's competitors coming close anytime soon. IOS 5 looks wonderful.

I really recommend watching the Keynote. It was fascinating to watch.

I for one will be making the iPad 2 my only computer. Along with my iPhone 4, I'm good to go!
  • Reply 2 of 40
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I really recommend watching the Keynote. It was fascinating to watch.

I watched it last night and I agree with you.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray put the numbers even more in perspective, determining that Apple is selling about 87,000 iPads per day.

That's 1 iPad per second!
  • Reply 4 of 40
    elmcitywebelmcityweb Posts: 109member
    It's times like this when I think back to the myriad of nay-sayers who droned on and on about how iPad wouldn't amount to much. Now every tablet out there is trying to emulate Apple's success.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

It's times like this when I think back to the myriad of nay-sayers who droned on and on about how iPad wouldn't amount to much. Now every tablet out there is trying to emulate Apple's success.

Somehow, I feel that they had a strong market research team and they (Jobs, etc.) knew it's going to be a success.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

That's 1 iPad per second!

We must be nerds, that is the same thought that popped into my head.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    ...and the new OS and cloud make a good argument for an iPad as your only computer. I know we couldn't do that in my household, but it is very close.

If Apple would have announced the iPad just a bit earlier I wouldn't have bought my MacBook, i know that. A mini acting as a server and doing the rare heavy lift job and iPads for each member of the family and we would be golden. Wouldn't cost much more than what we spent on our current setup, and both kids would have an iPad. Would have been much better.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    There's still a 1-2 week wait in the online Apple store for the iPad 2, so even if the 8 million number is right, it's still well short of actual demand. Hopefully Apple and friends can ramp up production in time to meet holiday demand later in the year.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Apple urgently needs to split its share 1/10.

The Apple shares are today undervalued. Apple has a P/E about 16. But with the 50 billion they have in the bank, the P/E is just 9. If Apple matches its economical goal, they will have a P/E about 5-6 in September.

ARM for example have a P/E of 100.

Apple should have around 20-22 P/E. The shares should on simple economic fundamentals be 3-4 times higher then today.

(I really hope Apple starts to use its money. Build a couple of factories for manufacturing. Outsourcing is not good. How fun is it that Samsung produces A5/memory/NAND memory. One of the biggest competitors have blueprint of Apple stuff to copy it. Same with FoxConn. In the morning they produce Apple stuff. In the afternoon same fabric lines make pirate copies and competitors devices)

Buy ARM (10 billion) (for future CPU and today low end chips)

Buy AMD (7-8 billion) (for high end CPU/graphic chips)

start to licence Ios light to different telephone companies.

start to licence OSx light to Dell/HP.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Splitting shares doesn't change the P/E. (And Apple has a bit over $80 billion in the "bank")
  • Reply 11 of 40
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    As long as Apple can hit 7 million to 9 million iPads a quarter, that's good for now. Of course, Apple could easily be doing 5 million iPads a MONTH. But production is still ramping up.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    That said, iOS 5 being untethered and so on, is going to just keep on driving iPhone and iPad adoption. iOS 5, iPad 2 and iPhone 4S will bring us strongly into 2012.

I just can't get the image of the emaciated Steve Jobs out of my mind though. iCloud is great, and they've finally made it free, alongside iOS 5 untethered. What more could we possibly WANT from Steve... Get well soon!
  • Reply 13 of 40
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

As long as Apple can hit 7 million to 9 million iPads a quarter, that's good for now. Of course, Apple could easily be doing 5 million iPads a MONTH. But production is still ramping up.

With iOS 5 and iPad 3 Apple will have to ramp up to 5 million a month... that's my guess.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Hello haters! Remember all that crap you were talking back in 2009? Huh! Yeah now suck on them numbers.

I'll be getting my ipad 2 16 gig wifi only in a few months.

Hell yeah!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 40
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    You could look at this another way.

Nintendo have sole 147 million DS handhelds up till March 2011 (all models combined). Thats since its release in November 2004.

Apple have sold 200 million iOS devices, thats iphones, ipod touch and ipad models since June 2007.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    go apple
  • Reply 17 of 40
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple urgently needs to split its share 1/10.

The Apple shares are today undervalued. Apple has a P/E about 16. But with the 50 billion they have in the bank, the P/E is just 9. If Apple matches its economical goal, they will have a P/E about 5-6 in September.

ARM for example have a P/E of 100.

Apple should have around 20-22 P/E. The shares should on simple economic fundamentals be 3-4 times higher then today.

I like the fact that the stock is undervalue, it makes it safe. I would rather have it move up on good quarterly results instead of moving up on "expected" growth. Apple is NOT a speculation bubble, so its safe to invest in.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I think iPad sales could eventually surpass iPhone sales just because they don't have the carrier bottleneck. Perhaps it'll happen in the holiday quarter (a Fall release for the iPhone 5, and a subsequent boost in sales, might make that difficult though).
  • Reply 19 of 40
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Somehow, I feel that they had a strong market research team and they (Jobs, etc.) knew it's going to be a success.

Apple rarely uses market research or focus groups.

They don't design by committee or sift through market research to find what will be popular.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

You would think that the nay-sayers have learned by now. They have too much egg on their faces to see the truth it appears.

1. The iPod would fail because it didn't support Ogg Vorbis.

2. The iPhone was to be an embarrassing mega failure that would drive Apple out of the market and into oblivion. I mean John Dvorak implored Apple to sell the iPhone to someone else before they were humiliated.

3. The iPad was just a big iPhone without the phone and nobody in their right mind would buy one.

What really makes the nay-sayers look incredibly stupid is that their only retort these days is that only stupid people and "sheeple" buy Apple products.