iOS 5 contains hints of world 3G third-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The developer build of Apple's iOS 5 hints at just two next-generation iPad devices, possibly suggesting that Apple plans to release a world 3G version of the iPad 3.

Sources for TUAW have discovered references to an "iPad 3,1" and "iPad3,2" in the USB device files of the developer build of iOS 5 issued Monday.

That contrasts with code from the iOS 4.3 beta, which referred to the three different versions of the second-generation iPad: "iPad2,1," "iPad2,2" and "iPad2,3." Each of those models went on to become a shipping model of the iPad 2, namely the Wi-Fi, GSM and CDMA versions.

It should be noted, however, that not all "model registrations" reference products that will see the light of day. For example, the device file "iPhone3,2" never became an actual product, although the "iPhone3,3" went on to become the iPhone 4 for Verizon.

Apple has reportedly already begun certifying components for the iPad 3. It has been suggested that Apple's next-generation tablet will feature a Retina-like display with a pixel density close to that of the iPhone 4.

The iOS 5 beta still contains references to Apple's next generation of iPhones: "iPhone4,1" and "iPhone4,2." Those references first appeared in a pre-release version of iOS 4.3 earlier this year.

People familiar with the matter were also surprised to find no references to a fifth-generation iPod touch in the iOS 5 beta USB device files. While the lack of a model registration in no way rules out the likelihood that Apple is working on an update to the device, sources suggested that the omission indicates Apple will highlight the next-generation iPhone at an event this September, rather than the typical iPod refresh.

For more information on new features of iOS 5, see AppleInsider's ongoing series, Inside iOS 5:

Inside Apple's move to open up SMS-style messaging to non-mobile clients

Inside Apple's iOS 5: Reminders app offers location-aware to-do lists

Inside Apple's iOS 5: Safari Reader, private browsing, tabs on iPad

Inside Apple's iOS 5: PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Hm. My iPod is needing an update (mostly because I bought one with too little memory...). I might just wait for the next major update to do it.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    This is major news.

Just like the rumor that Ford is working on their next generation F-150 pickup truck. I hear it will have a steering wheel, four tires, and maybe a more powerful engine!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is major news.

Just like the rumor that Ford is working on their next generation F-150 pickup truck. I hear it will have a steering wheel, four tires, and maybe a more powerful engine!

I agree. Now, if they can bump it up to 128GB, that would be news.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

I agree. Now, if they can bump it up to 128GB, that would be news.

128GB Storage; 1GB RAM

... don't forget that.

• Reply 5 of 16
    I am wondering if no new iPod touch is perhaps because it will be re-branded as an iPad mini?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFitzPro View Post

I am wondering if no new iPod touch is perhaps because it will be re-branded as an iPad mini?

And that would stop it from showing up in this list... for what reason?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFitzPro View Post

Nah, if you apply Occam's razor, the most reasonable explanation is that Apple isn't ready to use this beta of iOS 5 on the next generation iPod touch.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    So will we not see a Sprint iphone then?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frisian Dew View Post

So will we not see a Sprint iphone then?

Sprint is the only thing stopping you from putting a CDMA iPhone on their network.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthias03 View Post

128GB Storage; 1GB RAM

... don't forget that.

I GB of RAM? I don't get out of bed for anything less than 1 TB :P
  • Reply 11 of 16
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Hidden iOS 5 feature: Apple's global VOIP network that will replace the carriers. iPod is getting deprecated since there's a new iPhone that's unsubsidised and costs the same anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    iPad 3,1 = Wi-Fi

iPad 3,2 = 3G

Not sure how you can read any more into it.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

iPad 3,1 = Wi-Fi

iPad 3,2 = 3G

Not sure how you can read any more into it.

OK, what about Verizon? That's why they're asking if there is going to be a unified 3G.

It's just interesting discussion, probably nothing more. It's hard to be conclusive about this.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    So Apple has made a lot of money with iPad sales so far. Foxconn? Not so much.

According to Bloomberg, that may start changing the second half of this year. HonHai (Foxconn) has found the iPad very difficult to build, but feels they've now got a better understanding of how to make the production more efficient.

I'm sure they're more than ready to see some profits more in keeping with those that Apple realizes from the iPad.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...t-to-make.html
  • Reply 15 of 16
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So Apple has made a lot of money with iPad sales so far. Foxconn? Not so much.

This thread has nothing to do with revenues or profits or Foxcon.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    -----