Nintendo unveils next-gen game console with iPad-like controller

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Nintendo on Tuesday revealed its Wii U next-generation game console, which features a 6-inch touchscreen controller that has drawn comparisons to Apple's iPad.

The Tokyo, Japan, gaming giant showed off its Wii U, the first major console release in five years, during a keynote at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, Electronista reports.

Upon seeing the device, analysts were quick to compare the console's controller, which features a 6.2-inch touchscreen, front camera, gyro sensors and rumble support, to the iPad. Unlike the iPad, though, the Wii U controller comes with the major limitation of needing to stay in range of the console.

During the keynote, Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata denied the connection between the iPad and the Wii U, noting that his company had already begun design work on the system before Apple publicly announced the iPad in January 2010. However, Iwata did acknowledge that the iPad may help the public relate to the Wii U because of its similar concept, according to the report.

Nintendo has yet to set a specific launch date or price for the Wii U, but the device is expected to go on sale in late 2012. The company released its 3DS handheld in March after experiencing delays. Sales of the device dropped off quickly, however, with one report describing 3DS sales as "lackluster at best."

Rival Sony announced Monday plans to release its PlayStation Vita handheld later this year for $250. The PS Vita features a 5-inch touchscreen and front and rear touch pads.

Investors appeared to be disappointed by Tuesday's announcement, as Nintendo stock dropped to a five-year low in Tokyo on Wednesday, as noted by Reuters. The sudden 6.5 percent drop brought the stock to levels not seen since the launch of the original Wii console in 2006.

Analysts voiced concerns Tuesday that Nintendo's new device doesn't do enough to move into the social networking business. For instance, Mitsuo Shimizu, deputy general manager at Cosmo Securities, viewed the stock plunge as "a warning from investors that the company should reconsider its business strategy and move more aggressively into social gaming operations."

Apple has aggressively gone after Sony's and Nintendo's share of the gaming market. The combined revenue from gaming on iOS and Android in the U.S. captured 34 percent of the portable game market in 2010, while Nintendo's share shrunk from 70 percent to 57 percent, according to Flurry Analytics. Mobile gaming makes up just 24 percent of total U.S. video game software revenue, with the lion's share of revenue coming from consoles.

In April, reports emerged that Apple had hired away from Nintendo a PR executive who had helped to launch the Wii console and the DS handheld.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    I'm sorry but I don't see any resemblance between the iPad and the new wii controller. Besides them both being touch devices. That's just judging by the photo AI provided
  • Reply 2 of 51
    What a shameless rip off of Apple's design! They should be sued off the map! Apple should stop at nothing to protect their patents!

...wait, what is that thing?

It sort of looks like an iPad if you squint your eyes and use some imagination... I guess... a little...

... Actually even then the connection is hard to establish.

Freakin' fanboys.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope these games are fun. Good luck, Nintendo.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I admire their innovation. Hopefully the system will be reasonably priced and support HD graphics of 1080i/p. They hinted that it will so we'll see.

I'd also love more storage so we can opt out of buying optical discs and instead download the games from the internet.

Is this too little too late to compete with XBox 360 and Kinect? Microsoft seems to have found a winner with that combo.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    cwfrederickcwfrederick Posts: 171member
    I think/hope the point of this article was to debate the merits of the concept, and whether it is good enough to see a similar implementation with the ipad and apple tv, the concept being of course a touchscreen controller that controls a game that is simultaneously viewed on a tv (of course the actual products look different..). I'm not convinced it will work, but I am intrigued. Some of the wii examples included using the controller screen as a sight on a gun, or giving the viewer additional views of the game. It still seems like a stretch to me to have the user constantly looking from one screen to the other (particularly without physical controls as with the ipad). Maybe it is just somewhat functional, and apple will implement it only through iOS apple tv mirroring. Either way, I hope apple starts increasing our iOS/apple tv interactions.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Apart from being a larger screen it shares little with the iPad. I fact, it has far more in common with the DS handhelds as it is a resistive single point touch screen.

NOt sure why this made the frontage of AI to be honest.

The system uses a Custom power 7 chip from IBM and they are showing 2 tech demos with all other game footage provided by the ps3 and xbox 360.

Due to the new controller it is doubtful that Nintendo will be able to gain any mass Market appeal like they did with the wii.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Mod should lock this thread right away and delete the article. There's no resemblance with iPad at all judging from the picture there. Seriously..
  • Reply 8 of 51
    I honestly don't think Nintendo was even thinking of the iPad when it came up with this. They were probably trying to implement the success of the DS onto a home consol.

On a side note, I'm rather excited about some of the possibilities
  • Reply 9 of 51
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I agree with all of the comments above. The controller has way more in common with the Nintendo DS (release date: 2004) than it does with the iPad (release date: 2010).

I know it's hard to believe but not everything in the world is a rip-off of something that Apple has done.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Title is stupid. But the news is relevant - Nintendo is a GIANT in the industry and often leads the way for console generations to come.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I think it's odd that the WiiPad is using a single touch screen. I understand that focus is on the buttons, the gyro and occasional screen interaction, but... I'd expect multi touch on a modern touch screen.

Also I'm wondering about the weight of this thing. As a game controller to be held for hours it's gotta be light weight. I hope it is. The best thing with the current wii remotes is that you can relax your hands on either side of your body.. The WiiPad looks like it's back to cramped ergonomics again. Hmmm...

I think it would be great if this thing could be used on its own. It would make sense. They're afraid it would compete with the 3DS I guess.. Maybe if the 3DS and Wii team collaborated a bit more?
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Don't worry about Nintendo. Its a very smart company. They one big mistake in console in the last 30 years.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Excellent of Nintendo to show the world how to be innovative and not steal a single thing from Apple. Kudos!
  • Reply 14 of 51
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    Given how prone the current wii controllers are to being flung around living rooms this thing had better be very tough or very cheap to replace.... I can't see it withstanding too many wall or floor impacts before something critical breaks.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    If the controllers could be used as standalone game devices, they'd be on to something. This is a missed opportunity. And a weird name.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

If the controllers could be used as standalone game devices, they'd be on to something. This is a missed opportunity. And a weird name.

I believe the video shows a couple instances of standalone use (checkers was one), but perhaps that's only when in range of the console. Not enough details given to know for certain, and with the release a few months away things may change anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I agree, it has nothing to do with the iPad. That said, I don't know that this is going to sell well. I really see no point in simultaneous display, unless you're going to use it for local mulitplayer games...then everyone would have their own screen. Other than that, you'd be looking between two devices. Seems odd.

I was wondering when Nintendo would be releasing a Wii successor. I never bought the original because of it's lack of graphics power, blu-ray and other features (I have the original PS3 60GB). But I do like a lot of Wii-specific games, like some of the Mario series, Ravin' Rabbids, etc. I would have rather seena Wii 2 or Wii HD or something...better graphics and what not.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I was hoping for better graphics than Xbox360:

"The biggest grab however, was the lush HD visuals that the console will supposedly ship with. Check out the video below and jump to 2:56 for what appears to be Link kicking a giant spider?s arse in full 1080p.

But here?s the thing? that footage? It?s from the PS3. So why in their big reveal has Nintendo palmed off visuals that don?t reflect their current console? The reason we?re given by Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime is that

(we?re) a year away from when the console will launch"

http://www.ripten.com/2011/06/08/nin...s3xbox-images/

*sigh*
  • Reply 19 of 51
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Microsoft will announce that they have been secretly working on a XBOX 360 controller with a built in touch pad in 3, 2, 1...
  • Reply 20 of 51
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkstar2007 View Post

I'm sorry but I don't see any resemblance between the iPad and the new wii controller. Besides them both being touch devices. That's just judging by the photo AI provided

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

What a shameless rip off of Apple's design! They should be sued off the map! Apple should stop at nothing to protect their patents!

...wait, what is that thing?

It sort of looks like an iPad if you squint your eyes and use some imagination... I guess... a little...

... Actually even then the connection is hard to establish.

Freakin' fanboys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I admire their innovation. Hopefully the system will be reasonably priced and support HD graphics of 1080i/p. They hinted that it will so we'll see.

I'd also love more storage so we can opt out of buying optical discs and instead download the games from the internet.

Is this too little too late to compete with XBox 360 and Kinect? Microsoft seems to have found a winner with that combo.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Mod should lock this thread right away and delete the article. There's no resemblance with iPad at all judging from the picture there. Seriously..

You are all ridiculous. It's not the physical resemble that's troubling; after all, the iPad is just a screen with a bezel around it. It's the way that Nintendo demoed it. Complete rip-off of iOS games