Real Racing 2 HD to offer console-style gaming with iOS 5, AirPlay & Apple TV

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Developer Firemint announced on Wednesday that its popular Real Racing 2 HD game will take advantage of wireless AirPlay Mirroring functionality with iOS 5 and the iPad 2, allowing a console-style gaming experience when streamed to the Apple TV that's similar to the Wii U unveiled by Nintendo this week.

Firemint declared that its racing game will be "first" to allow "wireless big screen gaming" when Apple's iOS 5 arrives this fall. AirPlay Mirroring for iPad 2 was one of many features for iOS 5 highlighted by Apple this week, and the feature will allow users to wirelessly stream whatever is on their iPad 2 screen to an HDTV via Apple TV.

Currently, AirPlay allows users to stream video and audio content to the Apple TV. But AirPlay Mirroring will allow games like Real Racing 2 HD (iTunes link) to offer a more traditional console-like gaming experience, with the iPad 2 acting as a controller for games being played on the big screen.

Previously, Firemint took advantage of Apple's new HDMI adapter to offer 1080p output of Real Racing 2 HD. But that method required users to be tethered to their TV with an HDMI cable.

With iOS 5 and AirPlay Mirroring, Real Racing 2 HD, which sells for $9.99 on the App Store, will be "the most liberating and immersive racing experience ever," Firemint said. The new version will offer full-screen gameplay without a border on an HDTV.

"Relish Real Racing 2 HD's superb visuals as they're streamed effortlessly to your big screen TV," the developer said. "Grip your iPad 2 and steer with unerring precision and the freedom of wireless play. Stay closer than ever to the track with real-time racing telemetry, displayed directly on your iPad's screen."

Both an Apple TV-connected HDTV and the iPad 2 display will be utilized by the game, offering dual-screen gaming over AirPlay. It's a gameplay experience not unlike Nintendo's Wii U, announced at the Electronic Entertainment Expo this week.

The highlight of Nintendo's next-generation console is its controller, which features a 6-inch resistive single-touch screen that has drawn comparisons to Apple's iPad. But Nintendo's touchscreen will be driven by the power of the Wii U gaming console it wirelessly connects to, while the iPad is a standalone device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    There's an error in the article. The game is $9.99, not $12.99. My intelligent guess is that the price mentioned in the article is listed in Australian dollars.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    on/off topic - the rumours of Apple TV as a an actual panel ... I no more think they are going this way... the included mirroring functionality seem to suggest they are on their way to push a TV box or console some time in the future, not an actual screen. If you think of it, they do already offer a reasonably large 27" panel (many ppl use panels even smaller around their houses).

Considering, there are screen offers now that bring loads of pixels to a 10" screens, Apple might go for a 40-42" screen (the largest market) as monitor/TV screen, but with Apple TV as a box, not as a built in functionality.

Just my personal op.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Id guess that the new iPhone will have the improved graphics that will allow this too.

But, although this sounds fine for letting others watch what you're playing, I'm skeptical that you will be able to watch the screen and tilt to steer, like a console with a controller. There may just be too much lag. Even a fraction of a second could throw things off too much. My guess is that they'll need to do the game processing on the Apple Tv itself before this will really work.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    asbeveasbeve Posts: 3member
    I’m curious about what kind of frame rate and delay you’ll get using wireless streaming of in-game graphics, rather than a direct connection with HDMI. Can wireless streaming really keep it up so you get a nice gaming experience without stuttering graphics and delays on the TV?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

on/off topic - the rumors of Apple TV as a an actual panel ... I no more think they are going this way... the included mirroring functionality seem to suggest they are on their way to push a TV box or console some time in the future, not an actual screen. If you think of it, they do already offer a reasonably large 27" panel (many ppl use panels even smaller around their houses).

Considering, there are screen offers now that bring loads of pixels to a 10" screens, Apple might go for a 40-42" screen (the largest market) as monitor/TV screen, but with Apple TV as a box, not as a built in functionality.

Just my personal op.

Most people refer to three future "Apple TV" options...
    1. Apple build their own TV,

2. Apple continue to build a separate box or

3. Apple license the Apple TV box to be used by 3rd party manufacturers

I think there is a third option that would be the best of all worlds, and that is Apple create a specification to control a TV from a Apple TV device connected to a Thunderbolt port on the screen.

That way if you wanted to AirPlay to the TV the Apple TV box would automatically take over, switching the screen on if required and changing to the correct input.

It would also be able to create PIP, PBP or screen overlays if required (messages, notifications, game invites etc etc).

The benefit of having the Apple TV control the screen without being built in is that you could easily upgrade your Apple TV box.

There is also plenty of precedents for this kind of thing (Anynet+, Aquos Link, BRAVIA Sync, VIERA Link etc)
  • Reply 6 of 22
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Id guess that the new iPhone will have the improved graphics that will allow this too.

But, although this sounds fine for letting others watch what you're playing, I'm skeptical that you will be able to watch the screen and tilt to steer, like a console with a controller. There may just be too much lag. Even a fraction of a second could throw things off too much. My guess is that they'll need to do the game processing on the Apple Tv itself before this will really work.

I wondered the same thing. I've played real racing 2 HD connected directly to a 50" LG Flatscreen, steering with the iPad and occasionally glancing at the track map. Watching the screen while steering with the iPad was no problem. Loads of fun in fact!

I noticed a bit of a lag during the demo. I agree with you, you won't want any lag at all with a high-speed game like that.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I decided to fire her up anyway to see how she performs - It's a little laggy, but things are only going to get better from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEhgDSrsMp4

I like the full screen view...
  • Reply 8 of 22
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    1) Apple licensing things out is unlikely ... but, well, not impossible.

2) Last year the wifi association had all this talk of super fast wifi standard (that supposedly may allow wireless monitors to become mainstream), i guess if they did(I haven't followed that one lately)/do secure the necessary waves it will be amazing.

3) Apple tv on Thunderbolt? Yes, it's my ultimate dream, TB (not he desease ))) ) may potentially replace all the cable clutter (usb, hdmi, audio connections and so on). I hope they push it to companies all around the wold real hard right now. The first flat screen that comes out with TB port is a sure buy for me.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    I think that this is just the first step of the Apple TV becoming a gaming console. Without the battery restrictions on power they could put in a faster A5 processor and make an app store for the AppleTV. Then companies could make a program that runs on the AppleTV to allow multi-player gaming.

For instance, the makers of Real Racing could make a program that resides on the AppleTV which recieves input signals only from multiple iOS devices calculates a tiled image of all players "views" and then displays them to the HDTV it is hooked up to. This would reduce the latency issues of sending large graphics over Wi-Fi and would allow for multiplayer fun that other consoles offer.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Most people refer to three future "Apple TV" options...
    1. Apple build their own TV,

2. Apple continue to build a separate box or

3. Apple license the Apple TV box to be used by 3rd party manufacturers

I think there is a third option that would be the best of all worlds, and that is Apple create a specification to control a TV from a Apple TV device connected to a Thunderbolt port on the screen.

That way if you wanted to AirPlay to the TV the Apple TV box would automatically take over, switching the screen on if required and changing to the correct input.

It would also be able to create PIP, PBP or screen overlays if required (messages, notifications, game invites etc etc).

The benefit of having the Apple TV control the screen without being built in is that you could easily upgrade your Apple TV box.

There is also plenty of precedents for this kind of thing (Anynet+, Aquos Link, BRAVIA Sync, VIERA Link etc)

your fourth option is a good idea. but the fifth is apps. the TiVo and Xfinity apps already let you control some viewing functions from an iPad, but not all. so the other approach is for TV OEM's to offer their own apps too, including universal CATV codes, replacing and improving the old school IR remote. Apple has said it will license AirPlay, so that can be included. i think this is most likely of all options to happen.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    i got the iPad HDMI dongle and played Real Racing on a big screen using a long cable. it works and is impressive. but ... the dongle gets loose easily and the cable is a major distraction. it's not really a good everyday game set up. and single player only.

whereas ... with wifi those problems are totally obviated and multiplayer games become possible. the potential is huge.

btw, iPad screen mirroring is super duper for web browsing on a big screen TV. i've used HTPC's and other gizmos in the past to try this, but it was always too much trouble. you need to zoom the view back and forth constantly, not to mention fussing clumsily with a keyboard and pointing device. but the iPad pinch zoom makes that effortless, and of course there is no fussing at all. without needing a dongle, the iOS 5 iPad will become the first ever really enjoyable first class way to surf the web on your TV.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    This is just the beginning. I think streaming games will be huge.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

i got the iPad HDMI dongle and played Real Racing on a big screen using a long cable. it works and is impressive. but ... the dongle gets loose easily and the cable is a major distraction. it's not really a good everyday game set up. and single player only.

whereas ... with wifi those problems are totally obviated and multiplayer games become possible. the potential is huge.

btw, iPad screen mirroring is super duper for web browsing on a big screen TV. i've used HTPC's and other gizmos in the past to try this, but it was always too much trouble. you need to zoom the view back and forth constantly, not to mention fussing clumsily with a keyboard and pointing device. but the iPad pinch zoom makes that effortless, and of course there is no fussing at all. without needing a dongle, the iOS 5 iPad will become the first ever really enjoyable first class way to surf the web on your TV.

Thanks for the report on the mirroring. Sounds good.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Just wondering. How is it possible for Microsoft with their XBox liveto be able to have 2 players so far apart. They are able to play a fast moving game together. Why is it so hard

for Apple to make this happen with 1 or 2 players in the same room?

Also, they would have to make it work with an iPod Touch as a controller.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    This is really cool, but the real treat would be updating AirPlay to allow Apps to send game data to A5-equipped AppleTV. Then, instead of just mirroring, the iPad 2 (or A5 equipped iPhone) could wirelessly send normal game data to the screen, and have supplemental data on the device. Similar to the new Wii U controller.

For instance, for Real Racing, the car, etc. would appear on the screen, while the pedals would appear on the iPad.

For shooters, the actual game could be on the TV, and controls displayed on the iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    I have also tried to play RR2 on the ipad2 with a dongle and HDMI cable - not practical, as the cable pulls out the connection, particularly with a racing game that fully utilizes the ipad as a steering wheel.

Can someone enlighten me on why the Apple TV is not yet wireless 1080i/p, which would make large screen tvs the perfect wireless gaming platform for the ipad2 ?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

I have also tried to play RR2 ...

Can someone enlighten me on why the Apple TV is not yet wireless 1080i/p, which would make large screen tvs the perfect wireless gaming platform for the ipad2 ?

Apple usually limit their hardware i.e. put a ceiling to what a hardware can do to maintain quality. I believe it is currently achievable but not entirely practical. That's my take but I'm not fully qualified to demonstrate.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asbeve View Post

I?m curious about what kind of frame rate and delay you?ll get using wireless streaming of in-game graphics, rather than a direct connection with HDMI. Can wireless streaming really keep it up so you get a nice gaming experience without stuttering graphics and delays on the TV?

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. Is network video really suitable for playing games? Many games are dependant on the lowest possible latency. Video over wireless network... is it really low latency/ fast enough? For casual games sure.. but for a high paced driving game?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. Is network video really suitable for playing games? Many games are dependant on the lowest possible latency. Video over wireless network... is it really low latency/ fast enough? For casual games sure.. but for a high paced driving game?

Depends on the streaming technique. But as I understand, current 3G networks allow for too much latency between touch and response in the higher end games.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

It can't be wifi lag, because there is virtually no lag on playing online racing on RR2. There are, however, already a few complaints from gamers on RR2 that racers are suddenly streaking ahead, or doing funny things, which are related to server lag and poor router connections, because being near the wireless router makes all the difference with my setup. I can't play RR2 from my living room over the router network, which is upstairs in my office - I lose connection too often. Almost never happens when I play in my office, right next to the router.

I wonder if the weak link in the system with Apple TV may be the output between Apple TV and the HDMI into the TV that keeps the Apple TV is (so far) limited to 720. Is the A5 not fast enough, or something else with converting the signal out from the ipad?

Can't wait for the 1080 Apple TV, to make the plunge full time into ipad gaming on my large screen TV.