How can you force a magic trackpad to right-click when pressed with ONE finger...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I use two magic trackpads side-by-side for some awesome multi-touch experimentation and I was wondering if you can set one of them to perform a right-click when depressed, but using only ONE finger, not two like you normally would.

Think, first person shooter and how hard it is to play certain games with a multi-touch trackpad, this would essentially solve that problem as you could left-click with your thumb and right-click with your pinky finger.

Maybe I can re-write a preference file or something? I looked into magic prefs but it doesn't have a setting anywhere for the option I'm looking for. Any advice or ideas would be awesome

Charley

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    No. To do what you're saying, it would require someone to write a program or whatever to detect how much finger is being put down on the trackpad, if the pad itself detects smaller differences like that. Because the pad can be used with either hand, I don't think that it takes size into account.

Now some programs like Better Touch Tool and others allow customization of actions depending on "how" you use it; an example would be two different actions if you used your (right hand) middle and index and moved the ring as opposed to the ring and middle and used the index; it could tell "where" the extra finger was placed and what it did but that still doesn't account for size.

Best case scenario is to write something yourself or find something written and use maybe your middle as a base and then alternate ring and index for different results. In this case you're still using two fingers though.

I don't really know for sure though, i'm sure someone else knows.