iPad handles 1080p files... Apple TV?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can someone with access to the Apple TV's 4.4 beta tell me if the second gen will output 1080p from reading in 1080p files now?

The iPad can do it as of its iOS 5 beta, so I'm just curious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    The iPad 1 can, or the 2 can? The Apple TV uses the A4 found in the first generation one, so it may not be capable.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

The iPad 1 can, or the 2 can? The Apple TV uses the A4 found in the first generation one, so it may not be capable.

That's the thing. I don't get how if it can take in 1080p and convert it to 720p ON THE FLY that it wouldn't be able to just push 1080p straight through. I think it should, but I don't know enough about codecs and such to be able to be sure.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Oh I get what your asking. Yeah, downscaling is computationally intensive, anything that can downscale 1080p on the fly is computationally capable of playing straight 1080p, but there are probably software based artificial limits, for who knows what. Probably to sell next years 1080p Apple TV.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    ^ kind of like how the 3GS was capable of shooting/recording/playing back HD video, but was intentionally limited to sell the iPhone 4.