Cease and desist threats authenticate recent Final Cut Pro X screenshots [u]

Posted:
in Mac Software edited September 2019
Screenshots of Apple's forthcoming Final Cut Pro X software that leaked onto the Internet this past weekend were allegedly obtained without permission from the servers of a company that contracted with Apple to create tutorial videos for the new software, AppleInsider has learned [updated].

Cease and desist letters have gone out in an attempt to recall the screenshots, which were originally posted publicly on the social networking site Twitter on Sunday. Since then, user MortGoldman2 has continued to post additional pictures of the unreleased software.

The legal threats were sent out this week by Ripple Training Inc. at the demand of Apple, and state that the company has created professional training videos and applications for Apple for over 11 years. Its most recent video made for Final Cut Pro X is apparently the source of the screenshots that appeared days ago.

"Over this past weekend, Ripple's servers were breached and certain proprietary information was stolen, including, without limitation, the unreleased Training Video, which contains a U.S. Copyright wholly owned by Ripple..." the cease and desist says.

Update: The photos in question were still available in the TwitPic account of "Mort Goldman" Tuesday afternoon, but by 5 p.m. Eastern, they were removed. One of them was entitled, "don't shoot the messenger."

The latest rumor on Final Cut Pro X, which surfaced earlier Tuesday, claimed that the software will become available on the Mac App Store next week, and that a number of third-party Thunderbolt-compatible accessories geared toward video professionals will be unveiled at the same time. Separately, AppleInsider can confirm that the official release of Final Cut Pro X will occur within the next 10 days.

Final Cut Pro X

Earlier this year, Apple showed off Final Cut Pro X to a group of industry professionals at a National Association of Broadcasters conference. At the time, it revealed that the software would be available for $299 in the Mac App Store in June, but since then has not offered any additional information on Final Cut Pro X.

Prior to this weekend's leak, another set of images also appeared on Twitter earlier this month, and offered a first-look at Motion 5. Details accompanying those earlier pictures, posted by Twitter user "BWilks2001," also said that Apple will "supposedly" release a new version of its Color application. It is unknown whether those pictures and details came from the same source as this weekend's leak.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Yikes! Apple needs to help them secure their servers.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I wondered when heads would roll.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I just think this is stupid, especially only a week before it's to be released. It's not like someone's going to copy the software in a week.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    object-xobject-x Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I just think this is stupid, especially only a week before it's to be released. It's not like someone's going to copy the software in a week.

But if this company didn't do something about it Apple might decide not to use them any more. Bad for their business. So, it's not so stupid after all.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

But if this company didn't do something about it Apple might decide not to use them any more. Bad for their business. So, it's not so stupid after all.

This is exactly what happened. Apple is having Ripple and its attorneys perform its dirty work under threat that Ripple will otherwise lose Apple as a client.

The software is to be released publicly within 10 days...

Kasper
  • Reply 6 of 23
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Screenshots of Apple's forthcoming Final Cut Pro X software that leaked onto the Internet this past weekend were allegedly obtained without permission from the servers of a company that contracted with Apple to create tutorial videos for the new software, AppleInsider has learned [updated]. ...

I'm guessing "Ripple Training" is never working with Apple again.

Also, note to 'Mort Goldman' ... being the "messenger" in this situation makes you the criminal and most decidedly worth being "shot."
  • Reply 7 of 23
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

I don't think you fully understand the concept of a "rule."
  • Reply 8 of 23
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    never let a lawsuit get in the way of some certain publicity, eh ripple and ripple lawyers?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Don't shoot the messenger? Apple should launch a few cruise missiles and take the criminal out.

As for 'Mort Goldman', I didn't know that was a Family Guy Character, but a quick Google search told me that. So at least the list of suspects can be narrowed down to fans of that show. They should track down the location of the leaker and send in a Swat team to apprehend the criminals.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

As for 'Mort Goldman', I didn't know that was a Family Guy Character, but a quick Google search told me that. So at least the list of suspects can be narrowed down to fans of that show. They should track down the location of the leaker and send in a Swat team to apprehend the criminals.

They better shoot all Family Guy fans then, just to make sure, you know. Nothing is more atrocious than those petty criminals posting those highly-secret things called 'screenshots'. That'll teach 'em!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    atlas1atlas1 Posts: 1member
    The messenger has been shot. "Mort Goldman" has been deleted from Twitter.

He is an "x-leaker".
  • Reply 12 of 23
    hambohambo Posts: 4member
    Can we please not get carried away here, these are screen shots of #fcp, he has not put the video up (yet all we are seeing is what it looks like. most likely not him who's hacked the account. Unfortunately A quick search on online and you can download this training video. on twitter #fcp you can see pictures of the various topics that are being shown. Most likely this is a PR stunt by ripple to get some attention for their website, or apple to build up hype on their product release. It's in the public domain already and most likely now to get out of control!!
  • Reply 13 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

They better shoot all Family Guy fans then, just to make sure, you know. Nothing is more atrocious than those petty criminals posting those highly-secret things called 'screenshots'. That'll teach 'em!

And a top secret government document is nothing but a plain piece of paper with some red ink on the top saying top secret.

If somebody broke into your computer and found pictures of you engaging in sheep sex, just as an example, then I doubt that you would be saying that it's only a 'screenshot'.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Which hacker group do u think is responsible for the hacking? Your guess is as good as mind.

Shogun of the Macintosh,

IronTed
  • Reply 15 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Okay then.. perhaps you can tell us (or Apple) when is the appropriate time to send a C&D paper to protect their IP? You think one week is too short? Perhaps a month? Two months? 6 Months??

How's about that infamous lost iP4 screenshots and teardown photos from Gizmodo? It was only a couple months before it was introduced. Should Apple had said "Screw it, it's like we're introducing it in a few weeks anyways!"??
  • Reply 16 of 23
    I don't buy the 'don't shoot the messenger' reasoning, not at all. Even if you just repeat what others is saying, you are effectively telling lie. Psst, Apple Ninja will be there already... OK, maybe in a jiff..
  • Reply 17 of 23
    pawn3dpawn3d Posts: 20member
    who giva shit about final cut?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pawn3d View Post

Well, me for starters, as I'm a partner in a company that relies on FCP to help turn over billing in the six-figure range. I'm sure there are others on this forum who care as well.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Well, it is an Apple related forum after all. And Apple, as you may know, makes Final Cut. So yeah, we giva shit.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

I do. I need native RED file support.