Apple's AirPort Utility points to next-gen Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A routine update to Apple's Airport Utility application contains references to new 4th generation Time Capsule and 5th generation AirPort Extreme devices, according to a new report.

After Apple released the AirPort Utility 5.5.3 update for Windows and Mac on Monday, device listings were uncovered in the update's binary, MacRumors reports. Apple's documentation for the 10MB downloads lists only that it "resolves an issue that caused the AirPort Utitlity to unexpectedly quit during setup."

Of particular interest are listings for "K31 K30B Time Capsule (Simultaneous Dual-Band, Gen3)" and "K10B Apple AirPort Extreme (Simultaneous Dual-Band, Gen3)." Elsewhere in the code for the utility, the rumored devices are reportedly listed as "Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Generation)" and "AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)."

Apple's current simultaneous dual-band AirPort products, which were last updated in October 2009, are described as "Gen2."

Recent reports have suggested that available stock of Apple's AirPort and Time Capsule wireless base stations has dwindled ahead of a product update. The latest rumors claim Apple may shift the base stations to run iOS.

iOS-based AirPort base stations could allow for more robust features, such as print and media streaming services, integration with iCloud, and cached wireless software updates. Code references in AirPort Utility seem to support the likelihood of software update caching, according to people familiar with the matter.

Also, indications that Apple is working on wireless drivers for non-Intel CPUs may point to the possibility that Apple plans to enable iOS devices to setup and configure new AirPort or Time Capsule devices without the help of a Mac or Windows PC. Such a move could align with Apple's Post PC strategy, as the company recently revealed that the forthcoming iOS 5 has been designed to be "PC Free" by way of wireless activation, syncing and backup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I wonder why the generation skip.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Probably no generation skip.

Most likely it's a typo, transcription error, something heavily tied to the sketchiness of reporting tech rumors.

Heck, I'd say that 98% of all articles posted to Apple rumor sites are wrong. Why would anyone expect this one to be any different?
  • Reply 3 of 58
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Probably no generation skip.

Most likely it's a typo, transcription error, something heavily tied to the sketchiness of reporting tech rumors.

Heck, I'd say that 98% of all articles posted to Apple rumor sites are wrong. Why would anyone expect this one to be any different?

Given that I have seen shots of AirPort Utility embedded into iOS5, this seems entirely accurate. Post PC indeed.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    ^ true, but that doesn't necessarily suggest ARM (A4/A5) processors are on it's way to AEBS ... though admittedly, that would be pretty nifty!
  • Reply 5 of 58
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think the Software Update service makes sense, but I hope they don't get too carried away with services on this thing. There's a lot to be said for security through simplicity and this is an internet facing device.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    If they are able to carry print drivers onboard so AirPrint works automatically then I'm buying one. If not, I'll just content myself with what I've got.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Hopefully the next generation of Time Capsule will serve as an iTunes & AppleTV server.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    downpourdownpour Posts: 37member
    A built in ADSL modem would be nice... So you could use it as a cable 'or' ADSL router.

I wouldn't have thought it would add much to the cost of manufacture and they are way overpriced already, so it would add value.

It just seems very un-Apple like, to have to rely on a load of different boxes plugged into each other.

I'm not sure how common ADSL is in America... maybe that's the problem.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Downpour View Post

A built in ADSL modem would be nice... So you could use it as a cable 'or' ADSL router.

I wouldn't have thought it would add much to the cost of manufacture and they are way overpriced already, so it would add value.

It just seems very un-Apple like, to have to rely on a load of different boxes plugged into each other.

You do know how many version of xDSL there are? ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL ...

And we are aiming for fibre! So ... no ... not on this planet!
  • Reply 10 of 58
    downpourdownpour Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

You do know how many version of xDSL there are? ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL ...

And we are aiming for fibre! So ... no ... not on this planet!

ADSL2+ is backwards compatible and Fibre would just use the ethernet connection surely?

Fibre is years away for most of the UK.

My point is... why not make a device that everyone can use (as a standalone device for most of them), instead of just limiting it to cable users?

It seems wasteful plugging a wireless adsl modem router into a wireless Apple router, when all you really want is one wireless device, that combines the functionality of the two.

The only visual difference to the Time Capsule/AirPort Extreme would be a tiny little RJ11 port, that all the cable users could ignore.

I thought Apple products were supposed to 'Just Work'... but as it stands, this situation is as confusing as Hell, to the average home user.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    Quote:

ADSL2+ is backwards compatible and Fibre would just use the ethernet connection surely?

Fibre is years away for most of the UK.

My point is... why not make a device that everyone can use (as a standalone device for most of them), instead of just limiting it to cable users?

It seems wasteful plugging a wireless adsl modem router into a wireless Apple router, when all you really want is one wireless device, that combines the functionality of the two.

The only visual difference to the Time Capsule/AirPort Extreme would be a tiny little RJ11 port, that all the cable users could ignore.

I thought Apple products were supposed to 'Just Work'... but as it stands, this situation is as confusing as Hell, to the average home user.

If DSL would be the thing I can agree. But there is one more thing with the xDSL-modems. And it's not technical at all. In many market's it is part of a "rental"-contract, i e the xDSL hardware comes with the subscription to the service. The subscriber does not own it but rather rent it. And it is not only a business case thing but also a network management thing. Different service providers would want different management set ups. And they will depend on other internals of a typical xDSL-modem, rather than the xDSL protocol as such.

It has never been the business case of Apple to make their AirPorts part of that set up. It may be tiny as you say to add xDSL but knowing that Apple rather strips things out of hardware I would say this is not likely.

On top pf that comes other lower layers such as Cable (CATV based broadband), VDSL now rolling out in many places, fiber with BPON & EPON (CommonAsia) and GPON (France, Verizon and many others) as well as point to point fibre (Sweden, Netherlands, UK, Switzerland and many others). Apple better stick to a Ethernet WAN port and let others mess with lower levels of communication.

Also - who would want their AirPort Extreme wasted if you change subscription or there is a lightning strike? Not me at least.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

If DSL would be the thing I can agree. But there is one more thing with the xDSL-modems. And it's not technical at all. In many market's it is part of a "rental"-contract, i e the xDSL hardware comes with the subscription to the service. The subscriber does not own it but rather rent it. And it is not only a business case thing but also a network management thing. Different service providers would want different management set ups. And they will depend on other internals of a typical xDSL-modem, rather than the xDSL protocol as such.

In a lot of markets the subscriber owns the DSL modem, it would be a waste of money to rent one, they are dirt cheap. And who cares about what the service provider wants on their setup, that's why you set them up when you get them. It makes sense for Apple to release a unit with built in dsl modem.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    rkemp77rkemp77 Posts: 3member
    After the Airport Utility Update this morning I noticed that my Time Capsule now has (1st Generation) after it. I'm pretty sure that this is new. I would think this is more evidence that a new Time Capsule that would support staging of updates is likely.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Anybody know how to enable Time Machine to backup wirelessly to an external hard drive connected to an Airport Extreme? I do not want to use a Time Capsule since they fail so often and are not upgradeable.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Am I reading your post correctly...you can already use TC as a cable modem?
  • Reply 16 of 58
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Am I reading your post correctly...you can already use TC as a cable modem?

He did seem to say that, but the TC is *not* a cable modem. There are too many different ways people connect to the internet. That's why the Apple products just stick to ethernet for the physical connection. Adding extra hardware in there would only benefit a few, but cost everyone.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phil Sukalewski View Post

Anybody know how to enable Time Machine to backup wirelessly to an external hard drive connected to an Airport Extreme? I do not want to use a Time Capsule since they fail so often and are not upgradeable.

Apple has not enabled recognition of a USB-connected external hard drive to an Airport Extreme or Express for Time Machine backups
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phil Sukalewski View Post

Airport Extreme does not support Time Machine. As for Time Capsule, I guess some fail and some don't. But why do you say it's not upgradeable? Apple has updated the software several times, and you can easily swap the hard drive.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I won't be satisfied until there are more-than-one RAIDed drives for redundancy. It doesn't have to be hot swappable, have dual power supplies, or other enterprise-level requirements, just multiple drives so that no single drive can cause the failure of all data.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I won't be satisfied until there are more-than-one RAIDed drives for redundancy. It doesn't have to be hot swappable, have dual power supplies, or other enterprise-level requirements, just multiple drives so that no single drive can cause the failure of all data.

As a backup device, the Time Capsule drive can fail and you haven't lost any data because it's still on your Mac. You replace the TC drive, and off you go.