Photos show major renovations in progress at Apple's Fifth Ave store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This week, Apple began construction to replace the iconic 32-foot glass cube at its heavily trafficked retail store on Fifth Avenue, and AppleInsider offers a first look at the work in progress.

Those who pass the storefront will encounter a temporary wall of grey plywood fronting the street. A small gap between the walls serves as a pathway for customers to still access the staircase that leads to the store below.

On the way to the staircase, customers can see stacks of materials and temporary materials associated with the construction. The materials and workers are there to begin work on a $6.7 million project to replace the glass cube that began this week.

The impressive structure has become something of a New York City landmark since it was unveiled in May of 2006. A recent study found that it is one of the most photographed locations in the entire city.

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs is said to have personally designed and even paid for the hollow glass structure that serves as the store's entrance. The latest renovations are not the first time the structure has been tweaked: Shortly before its unveiling in 2006, Jobs was said to have been unhappy with some of the materials used to construct the cube, and last-minute changes were made.

The all-glass design has even inspired other projects from Apple, including its megastore in Shanghai that opened last summer. Like the Fifth Avenue store, its entrance is a staircase enclosed in glass, though the one in China is a cylinder.

Apple's interest in glass will even extend to its planned 12,000-employee campus at its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. When pitching the concept to the local city council, Jobs remarked that the building will look like a "spaceship."

"There's not a straight piece of glass in this building," he said. "We've used our experience in building retail buildings all over the world. We know how to make the biggest pieces of glass for architectural use."

Some of those experiences gained from the last five years since the Fifth Avenue store first opened will undoubtedly play a part as Apple partakes in its $6.7 million replacement of the iconic glass cube. In addition to the cube, Apple also plans to remove protective bollards, install new pavers around the perimeter, and remove and install surrounding water drains.

Photos of the construction currently underway are included below. Thanks to AppleInsider reader Ryan for the pictures.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Damn, this was going to be one my stops to take pictures when I arrive in NYC for the 4th of July.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ...which will ultimately lead to the all-glass Mac, iPhone and finally, the Apple iGlasses (around 2015).
  • Reply 3 of 41
    You know, this whole "all glass" architecture is pretty remarkable and attractive and all... until an earthquake of decent magnitude hits New York. Then I bet the resulting damage and injuries will change people's minds real quick-like! \
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

You know, this whole "all glass" architecture is pretty remarkable and attractive and all... until an earthquake of decent magnitude hits New York. Then I bet the resulting damage and injuries will change people's minds real quick-like! \

Two words:

Gorilla Glass
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

now i'm depressed
  • Reply 6 of 41
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Quick, write Steve! I bet his structural engineers never ever thought of earthquakes!
  • Reply 7 of 41
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    I would love to know to what extent having this flashy architecture at their stores results in higher revenue, justifying the expense?
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

I would love to know to what extent having this flashy architecture at their stores results in higher revenue, justifying the expense?

You're kidding, right??!!

That cube paid for itself in advertising in the first month (maybe even the first week).
  • Reply 9 of 41
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

I think that California has a bit more to worry about when it comes to earthquakes than New York does. Sooner or later, a massive one is going to hit Cali and it's going to be devastating. I'm not a geologist, but I don't think that New York lies on a major fault line. New York has nothing to worry about when it comes to earthquakes.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:

The Fifth Ave store is the most profitable out of them all.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I see two things with their current design. A glass cube and an illuminated Apple logo. What if they are going to combine that with their ability create huge panes of curved glass to make the entrance a giant glass Apple logo in 3D.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

According to Bloomberg that store grosses over $35000 per square foot. That's over twice the figure for Tiffany & Co. So yes, the flashy architecture paid for itself really really fast.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that California has a bit more to worry about when it comes to earthquakes than New York does. Sooner or later, a massive one is going to hit Cali and it's going to be devastating. I'm not a geologist, but I don't think that New York lies on a major fault line. New York has nothing to worry about when it comes to earthquakes.

Surprise! The NYC store actually sits in an earthquake zone.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs is said to have personally designed and even paid for the hollow glass structure

Why would Steve Jobs have paid for it himself? The guy only makes $1/year.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

...which will ultimately lead to the all-glass Mac, iPhone and finally, the Apple iGlasses (around 2015).

Five.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:

It has to meet the building codes in place that include designing for the seismic zone it is located in. Likely the buildings surrounding the cube will cause more damage than the cube itself since those buildings did not have to meet as strict a standard.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Why would Steve Jobs have paid for it himself? The guy only makes $1/year.

If you read the article they reference, he didn't say he designed the structure, just the cube, in reference to the NeXT Cube and the G4 Cube, basically....the cube is his "thing".
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Surprise! The NYC store actually sits in an earthquake zone.

If there is any earthquake, it'll be pretty minor, this is not much to worry about. And that earthquake zone which you speak of is not a major fault line, like the one they have in California.

Of the things that New Yorkers need to worry about, earthquakes are probably #127 on the list.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    kamekame Posts: 7member
    Can we have something more iconic in San Francisco where it's actually where WWDC and other Apple events are often held?

BTW, I'm using Safari 5.1 beta and it's always dog slow after viewing several websites. Oops, is this a feature I'm not supposed to disclose under NDA?
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If there is any earthquake, it'll be pretty minor, this is not much to worry about. And that earthquake zone which you speak of is not a major fault line, like the one they have in California.

Of the things that New Yorkers need to worry about, earthquakes are probably #127 on the list.

Actually, New York has plenty to worry about when it comes to earthquakes. Due to the sparseness of earthquakes on the east coast many of the older buildings in NYC aren't even close to being safe. The type of major earthquake that hits NYC every hundred years or so is small by west coast standards, 5 on the scale, but could still do some very major damage. NYC is usually hit by several smaller quakes during that hundred year gap. Right now they are due for a larger quake.

They may not worry about it... but...