With more than $70B in cash, Apple could buy Nokia, RIM, HTC & Motorola

Comments

• Reply 121 of 290
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Inflation does not account for the dollar's fall in value thanks to the Fed printing like crazy and a currency no longer being backed by gold. Our dollar is devalued, not just suffering from the effects of inflation.

Actually...it mostly does.

Inflation, properly understood, is the increase in the supply of money (and credit). The effect is higher nominal prices which is just another way of saying a devalued monetary unit (dollar).
  • Reply 122 of 290
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

I would gladly pay $50-80 extra for a made in the usa iphone

Then I suggest you start a business to sell these products to the 20 other people who would also pay more money for these products.
  • Reply 123 of 290
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Actually...it mostly does.

Inflation, properly understood, is the increase in the supply of money (and credit). The effect is higher nominal prices which is just another way of saying a devalued monetary unit (dollar).

Yes. Sorry, I changed my response.
  • Reply 124 of 290
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

... A common mistake by the "progressive" is that the "rich" gets "richer" at the expense of the other classes. This logic is fundamentally flawed. The "rich" create their wealth. ...

I try to stay away from these pinhead "American" threads, but it has to be at least noted that what you are pushing here is pure bullshit ideology.

Facts are facts.

The rich have been getting richer and the poor have been getting poorer.

That's how capitalism works.

Your other comments about the rich "creating wealth" have also been conclusively disproven many many times. It's basic 'trickle-down' economics. It has never been the case that it works and it never will work.

You can spout this right-wing ideological crap all day long but it won't magically become true at any time.
  • Reply 125 of 290
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

A common mistake by the "progressive" is that the "rich" gets "richer" at the expense of the other classes. This logic is fundamentally flawed. The "rich" create their wealth.

If you look at Forbes' annual list of rich people, you will discover that many of them became rich through an excellent choice of parents or spouses.
  • Reply 126 of 290
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Or they could manufacture their products in the US and create some jobs.

Oh, please

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Couldn't agree more. Be a real leader. Being jobs home. Period.

Talk about something you could brag about.

"Jobs bring jobs..." Does a headline get any better than this?

Oh, please

Quote:

Apple has created plenty of jobs in the US. Most of them are pretty high-paying, high-tech jobs. This fetish over manufacturing jobs baffles me.

Thank you

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jumpmaster View Post

It would also reduce higher skilled jobs because Apple products would get even more expensive, and fewer people would buy them. Apple would then have to lay off people working in the US. It may be a net increase in job creation, but it's questionable whether the US would be better off for it (tax revenue, productivity value, etc)

BTW, there are lots of jobs out there. It's just that people are unwilling to do them. How many unemployed people are willing to be janitors or field workers because it is beneath them, or their skillset is too high?

Thank you

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

It's a noble sentiment, but can you walk me through how that would work? Would Apple accept a loss on every product sold where now they have a profit, and burn through their cash reserves that way? Or would they raise prices to some kind of breakeven point and lose sales and market share?

It seems like you're basically suggesting that they operate as a charity, accepting losses for social good. If that's what you're after, why all the complexity of moving production and losing money (and tanking the share price)? Why not just suggest they give money away outright?

All of these people that talk about bringing jobs to this country are the last ones in line for that type of employment. When Americans understand that they have to bust their ass and work just as hard as the Chinese do for the little money that is payed for those types of assembly jobs, that is when we will get that type of work. Problem is, most Americans think they should get paid $60,000 a year for an entry level, sitting-on-their-ass job.
  • Reply 127 of 290
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:

I agree they will never do it, but wouldn't it be nice if Apple moved to Detroit and did build factories there?

In terms of the unions, maybe they could make a deal, pay people a reasonable wage that doesn't completely devalue their life (like we do all over the rest of the planet) and maybe Apple's profits could be 10 billion instead of 70 billion, and the top executives could only make 10 million a year each instead of who knows what they're making now.

That's not fair. Executives are worth every penny. They make the stockholders rich.
  • Reply 128 of 290
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I try to stay away from these pinhead "American" threads, but it has to be at least noted that what you are pushing here is pure bullshit ideology.

Facts are facts.

The rich have been getting richer and the poor have been getting poorer.

That's how capitalism works.

Your other comments about the rich "creating wealth" have also been conclusively disproven many many times. It's basic 'trickle-down' economics. It has never been the case that it works and it never will work.

You can spout this right-wing ideological crap all day long but it won't magically become true at any time.

You are wrong sir.
  • Reply 129 of 290
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:

And.....why is labor cheaper?

During the great depression FDR instituted wage controls. This left many owners of buildings with elevators with 2 options, upgrade to automated elevators or continue to employ the elevator operators. In the end it was more expensive to employ the elevator operators so they simple fired them all and upgraded their elevators. Now these elevator operators wanted to continue to work. They *wanted* their original wage but FDR said they couldn't. So their jobs just vanished in favor of the cheaper alternative.

Everyone is better off when these make-work jobs are eliminated. We are more efficient that way. That is why we use bucket loaders instead of armies of men with picks and shovels.

I think you are saying that we would all be better off if we hired thousands of people at starvation wages to do work that is better done by a machine. But that is not the best idea.
  • Reply 130 of 290
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

Buy Microsoft and fire the other Steve!

Apple hopes Balmer never gets fired.
  • Reply 131 of 290
    Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Be a real leader. Being jobs home. Period.

Talk about something you could brag about.

"Jobs bring jobs..." Does a headline get any better than this?

Do you think every single Android, Motorola etc American user base would dump their phones and buy iPhone just because it is made in the USA? I don't think so. That ship (local manufacturing) has sailed decades ago when capitalism rises and many third world countries were suppresses by IMF, world bank etc. Get a grip!
  • Reply 132 of 290
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    BTW, $70 billion is not a really big deal. GE has $120 billion in the bank, mostly overseas.
  • Reply 133 of 290
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

BTW, $70 billion is not a really big deal. GE has $120 billion in the bank, mostly overseas.

I think you're looking for the next thread over.
  • Reply 134 of 290
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Or they could manufacture their products in the US and create some jobs.

There is only One Jobs at Apple

Of course The hypothetical scenario would never be allowed for antitrust reasons, but it illustrates the benefits of Apple's high margin strategy. They won't build something unless they can do it profitably, otherwise, it's back to 1996 for Apple.
  • Reply 135 of 290
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Apple could buy them all out, fire all their employees, demolish the buildings and plant trees in their stead. Hypothetically, of course.

Really, AI, if you're going to hypothesize, why limit yourself?
  • Reply 136 of 290
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

Totally different industry. For the tech industry, it's HUGE.
  • Reply 137 of 290
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Apple has created plenty of jobs in the US. Most of them are pretty high-paying, high-tech jobs. This fetish over manufacturing jobs baffles me.

Why not bring some manufacturing jobs to the US? Not everyone is equipped to be in a high tech job. Some people are better at doing manual labor. If China can do both, why can't we?
  • Reply 138 of 290
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EGlasheen View Post

Would like to see Apple develop applications so I can dump Adobe i.e. Photoshop and Illustrator.

Hear! Hear!
  • Reply 139 of 290
    Quote:

Then I suggest you start a business to sell these products to the 20 other people who would also pay more money for these products.

Tough luck! BTW, why stop at twenty? The most they can sell is once. Then, down the line they (consumer) realise they could not sustain it, they will be back to what they know best. Buy them cheap and buy them plenty, hence WalMart.
  • Reply 140 of 290
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Apple should be spending more on research and development.