Top execs from Apple, Samsung meeting to discuss patent suit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The "highest level" of executives from Apple and Samsung have been meeting to discuss their legal dispute, a hearing for the case revealed on Friday.

Apple attorney Harold McElhinny made the disclosure in response to questioning from U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh at Friday's hearing, Reuters reports.

"Can't we all just get along here?" Koh asked, suggesting the companies resolve the case outside of court. "I will send you with box of chocolates, whatever," she added.

McElhinny replied that the case has drawn the attention of executives "at the highest levels" of the two companies. "Can we get them together?" Koh asked. "They are in fact meeting and talking," McElhinny said.

In April, Apple sued Samsung alleging blatant copying of Apple's technology, interface and style. The Korean electronics giant quickly responded with a countersuit accusing Apple of infringing on data transmission-related technologies.

Last month, a judge granted Apple's request to see samples of Samsung's unreleased tablets and smartphones that have been accused of infringement. Samsung fired back with a similar motion asking to see "final, commercial versions" of Apple next-generation iPhone and iPad.

However, Apple characterized Samsung's filing as harassment in a countermotion earlier this week." The iPhone maker alleged that "the copyist" shouldn't need to see any of its products since Apple is the plaintiff. Apple referred to itself as "one of the most secretive" companies in the world, describing its new product announcement events as "major events in the technology industry."

Late Thursday night, Apple added a dozen of Samsung's products, including the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Nexus S 4G, to the suit, noting that the company has been "even bolder" than other competitors in "blatantly imitating" the iPhone and the iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The "highest level" of executives from Apple and Samsung have been meeting to discuss their legal dispute, a hearing for the case revealed on Friday.

So, who blinked here? I am guessing Samsung?. :-)
  • Reply 2 of 44
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Samsung can probably get away with it; look at the crappy icons, clearly not a copy.

J.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    I wonder at what level of hierarchy these executives are. Can't help much if there're younger and more childish ones in there.. You stop it. No, you stop it...

I guess a box of chocolate is a good enough incentive.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Maybe they are fighting with billion dollar wads of cash?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

So, who blinked here? I am guessing Samsung?. :-)

Nobody blinked - they just agreed to stare across a table in person for a bit, in stead of via lawyers
  • Reply 6 of 44
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Samsung-Apple discussion at the highest level (http://bit.ly/k5I8tO)

Steve Jobs - We like you as our manufacturer. It's been a good relationship. Thanks for all the chips and touch screens. But just one more thing, it turns out you've been copying our products

Yoon Woo Lee - Just one more thing, it turns out you've been copying our products

Steve Jobs - Stop imitating us.

Yoon Woo Lee - Stop imitating us.

Steve Jobs - This is driving me crazy. Tim, you take over.

Tim Cook - Look here, guys. We're partners, right. Just stop stealing our designs. This is the mother of all plagiarism.

Yoon Woo Lee - We're partners, right. Just stop stealing our designs. This is the mother of all plagiarism.

Tim Cook - Look, we don't want to fight. Let's discuss this like professionals.

Yoon Woo Lee - Let's discuss like professionals.

Tim Cook - How about showing us your next designs so that we can see if you're still copying us?

Yoon Woo Lee - How about showing us your next designs so that we can see if you're still copying us?

Tim Cook - This is frustrating. Jonny, you give it a try.

Jonathan Ives - See here, mate. Our design is ... magical. You can't just steal it, can you?

Yoon Woo Lee - Our design is magical. You can't just steal it .... can you?

Jonathan Ives - Oh, bullocks. Your turn, Ron.

Ron Johnson - I got it, Jonny. Let's not play games. Are you going to stop imitating our designs or not?

Yoon Woo Lee - Let's not play games. Are you going to stop imitating our designs or not?

Ron Johnson - I give up. I am going to JC Penney. In fact, I am going to pay them $50 million dollars to hire me so that I can get away from this mess.

Yoon Woo Lee - I am going to JC Penney ....

Steve Jobs - One more thing ... stop wearing the black mock turtleneck. You've got it on backwards. And lose those tortoise rim glasses.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Steve Jobs - One more thing ... stop wearing the black mock turtleneck. You've got it on backwards. And lose those tortoise rim glasses.

Ok - you need to send this to SNL, it's funnier than about 90% of what they do.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Maybe they are fighting with billion dollar wads of cash?

Like a pillow fight! Except without all the lingerie models.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I remember in the 60's(I was a kid!) when Japan was making knock offs of just about every product made in the west. One example that always sticks with me was a cigarette lighter originally made by Ronson was copied identically but sold for pennies on the dollar. With a magnifying glass the Japanese knock of was apparently made by R. onson (a period after the first letter). Back then no one tried to defend the fact this was blatant stealing. It's funny how these days so many people seem to actually defend the companies that make knock offs. I guess this is because Samsung et al don't claim their products are made by A.pple ... so it's ok.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I remember in the 60's(I was a kid!) when Japan was making knock offs of just about every product made in the west. One example that always sticks with me was a cigarette lighter originally made by Ronson was copied identically but sold for pennies on the dollar. With a magnifying glass the Japanese knock of was apparently made by R. onson (a period after the first letter). Back then no one tried to defend the fact this was blatant stealing. It's funny how these days so many people seem to actually defend the companies that make knock offs. I guess this is because Samsung et al don't claim their products are made by A.pple ... so it's ok.

Samsung is a South Korean company.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Your point being? I was simply discussing any company in any country that makes knocks offs. Japan was simply an example from the past!
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I get the impression he knows that. He was using Japan as the example from the 60s. I was a kid then too and remember the knockoffs well.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Nobody blinked - they just agreed to stare across a table in person for a bit, in stead of via lawyers

This is nothing but a pissing contest between two BIG companies. Which one can shoot the furthest.

And the lawyers keep getting richer.............
  • Reply 14 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    There are lots of fake Rembrandt's and Picasso's and Rolex's out there too and there's a market for them. Those items are for stupid people. They are the ones who buy the Galaxy Tabs. Let 'em.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There are lots of fake Rembrandt's and Picasso's and Rolex's out there too and there's a market for them. Those items are for stupid people. They are the ones who buy the Galaxy Tabs. Let 'em.

Comparing Samsung to some back-alley outfit is silly. This is a major global corporation.

If they are using Apple IP, they are most certainly welcome to do so, but they'll need to pay for it. Apple cannot relent on matters like this.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I wonder at what level of hierarchy these executives are.

From Apple, Tim Cook (COO/acting CEO) and Bruce Sewell (general counsel) would definitely be at the table, possibly Peter Oppenheimer (CFO) as well. Cook drives a hard bargain. Maybe their lead intellectual property attorney.

Their equivalents at Samsung would be on the other side of the table.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Samsung-Apple discussion at the highest level (http://bit.ly/k5I8tO)

Steve Jobs - We like you as our manufacturer. It's been a good relationship. Thanks for all the chips and touch screens. But just one more thing, it turns out you've been copying our products

Yoon Woo Lee - Just one more thing, it turns out you've been copying our products

Steve Jobs - Stop imitating us.

Yoon Woo Lee - Stop imitating us.

Steve Jobs - This is driving me crazy. Tim, you take over.

Tim Cook - Look here, guys. We're partners, right. Just stop stealing our designs. This is the mother of all plagiarism.

Yoon Woo Lee - We're partners, right. Just stop stealing our designs. This is the mother of all plagiarism.

Tim Cook - Look, we don't want to fight. Let's discuss this like professionals.

Yoon Woo Lee - Let's discuss like professionals.

Tim Cook - How about showing us your next designs so that we can see if you're still copying us?

Yoon Woo Lee - How about showing us your next designs so that we can see if you're still copying us?

Tim Cook - This is frustrating. Jonny, you give it a try.

Jonathan Ives - See here, mate. Our design is ... magical. You can't just steal it, can you?

Yoon Woo Lee - Our design is magical. You can't just steal it .... can you?

Jonathan Ives - Oh, bullocks. Your turn, Ron.

Ron Johnson - I got it, Jonny. Let's not play games. Are you going to stop imitating our designs or not?

Yoon Woo Lee - Let's not play games. Are you going to stop imitating our designs or not?

Ron Johnson - I give up. I am going to JC Penney. In fact, I am going to pay them $50 million dollars to hire me so that I can get away from this mess.

Yoon Woo Lee - I am going to JC Penney ....

Very nicely done. Very funny. Keep it up!
  • Reply 18 of 44
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

This is nothing but a pissing contest between two BIG companies. Which one can shoot the furthest.

I'll bet on Steve. He can tip over an unopened soda can from 15 feet away!
  • Reply 19 of 44
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Reminds me of the office episode where michael was imitating charles minor when he got upset.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Your point being? I was simply discussing any company in any country that makes knocks offs. Japan was simply an example from the past!

Yeah, for anyone old enough to remember, Japan was the Korea/China of the 1960's. If a product had "Made in Japan" on it, it was pretty much the same as today's "Made in China." In other words it was cheap crap, possibly made with child labour, probably full of toxic crap and destined to fall apart soon.

Just like China, Japan started off making illegal copies of Western products, which grew the industries and design skills needed to make their own products down the road. Then they started making *better* products than the West and practically took over the electronics industry for a while. (Then they got stupid and complacent and lost it all).

If history hold true, the Korean and Chinese companies that go *beyond* the copying and make some truly innovative and *new* products will clean up in the market place and vanquish their competitors. Those that stick to just copying will be absorbed by those that do this. So, moral of the story is that Samsung, while on top now, is in danger of losing it all over the long term if they don't start being more innovative.

Innovation rules. You just have to look at Apple to see that. The US companies are all at a significant economic disadvantage to the Asian companies, but Apple, by being innovative, is beating them all at their own game and is practically the only US company doing so.