Neighboring cities amenable to Apple's proposed Cupertino mega-campus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The initial response from neighboring mayors toward Apple's unveiling of plans for a massive new campus in Cupertino, Calif., has been positive, despite a history of "border wars" between cities.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs presented the company's plans for a second campus in Cupertino at a city council meeting earlier this month, describing the 1 million square-foot building as looking "a little like a spaceship landed." The roughly 150 acre property along Pruneridge Avenue that Apple plans to develop stands near the border of Cupertino, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara.

Most of that property was purchased from HP in 2010. Apple had for years planned a on building smaller 50-acre campus, but was held up because of rezoning complications. Jobs said that the company's recent growth had prompted the company to design a building that could hold nearly all of its employees.

According to San Jose's Mercury News, the mayors of nearby Sunnyvale and Santa Clara have lent tentative support to the construction project and neither city has yet to raise alarm over traffic, noise, or other potential issues.

Of course, Cupertino's neighbors could stand to benefit from the development. "There will be people who want to buy homes here, to eat lunch, and we're right on the border," Sunnyvale Mayor Melinda Hamilton said. "Proximity is a huge deal. Having more and better jobs brings the whole region up. That success breeds success."

But, the three cities have had a tense relationship over projects in the past. Proposed expansions to a Cupertino 99 Ranch Market and Santa Clara's Kaiser hospital, which are located on either side of Apple's property, brought about "border wars," according to the report. The cities have also been involved in several "not in my backyard" disputes and "cross-city fights" in recent years, report author Mike Rosenberg noted.

Cupertino Mayor Gilbert Wong said earlier in June that "there is no chance" that the city would say no to Apple's project. Official building plans for the facility are due to be submitted later this year. Apple hopes to begin using the campus by 2015.

Meanwhile, Sunnyvale officials have hinted that Cupertino is biased toward Apple, with Mayor Hamilton stating that her city will view the project with "clear eyes."

"In Sunnyvale, we make decisions on projects like this after asking the residents how they feel about it, as opposed to declaring 'there's no way we're not going to approve this,' " said Sunnyvale Councilman Chris Moylan, criticizing Wong's remarks.

All three city halls have begun meeting to discuss the project's impact on the region. Apple's plans will require a "full traffic analysis" from a consultant and an environmental impact review. The increased traffic in particular may be a concern to residents and city officials, as a portion of Pruneridge Avenue east of Wolfe Road may be eliminated as part of the development.

Apple's current campus, left; Proposed facility, right

"A lot of the potential impacts come from how you design a project, how you lay it out," said Santa Clara Councilwoman Jamie McLeod. "A big thing is traffic -- but where are the outlets? Does it impact any flows of traffic? It's hard to (know the impact) at this point."

However, Santa Clara Mayor Jamie Matthews doesn't see the review as being a problem. "We'll be innovative and find ways around issues that get raised," Matthews said. "It's quite a boon for Silicon Valley. Either we find ways to continue to grow and accommodate these titans of entrepreneurial venture or we stop being Silicon Valley."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Knowing Cupertino, the Ranch 99 could use an expansion anyway
  • Reply 2 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This project makes me want to get a job at Apple just so I work in that building.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm not seeing where the traffic problem is anyway, a lot of that traffic is currently going to the same location and the rest another location a little bit down the highway.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This project makes me want to get a job at Apple just so I work in that building.

See, this is what will happen: buildings shaped like ringed motherships will begin construction in Mountain View and Seoul.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Make it so, Number One.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It is good to see Apple expanding in the U.S. even though much of their manufacturing is in Asia. They could have followed IBM, HP, and Microsoft in opening campuses outside of the U.S. in places like China and India.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Please don't give them ideas :-) I am sure Apple must have evaluated all those options and decided that cost savings can't scale enough compare to innovations they can do in valley and the returns that it would generate. This is something neither IBM, HP, or Microsoft realizes, I think!
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

See, this is what will happen: buildings shaped like ringed motherships will begin construction in Mountain View and Seoul.

+1

Funny!
  • Reply 9 of 43
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    No doubt it'll be a striking building, and no doubt Margaret Hamilton will be somewhere in all that glass wringing her claws with glee and cackling "And your little dog, too!"

In the game of archetypes, few things are as fascinating to watch as The Underdog becoming The Evil Empire. Nothing corrupts like winning.

Now that Goliath has become so conspicuous, can David be far away?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

No doubt it'll be a striking building, and no doubt Margaret Hamilton will be somewhere in all that glass wringing her claws with glee and cackling "And your little dog, too!"

In the game of archetypes, few things are as fascinating to watch as The Underdog becoming The Evil Empire. Nothing corrupts like winning.

Now that Goliath has become so conspicuous, can David be far away?

I think it would be more appropriate to say... Now that David has overwhelmed Goliath who will become the next giant killer?
  • Reply 11 of 43
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

It is good to see Apple expanding in the U.S. even though much of their manufacturing is in Asia. They could have followed IBM, HP, and Microsoft in opening campuses outside of the U.S. in places like China and India.

They aren't really expanding as much as they are consolidating multiple sites into a single location.

Apple's growth in headcount at the corporate location has been very modest over the past few years; most of their explosive growth (in terms of headcount) has been in the retail division, far from Cupertino.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm not seeing where the traffic problem is anyway, a lot of that traffic is currently going to the same location and the rest another location a little bit down the highway.

Well if you happen to be driving down De Anza when Apple start going home, that is a nightmare now. If all that traffic shifts to Wolfe, which already has it's problems at commute time, the new Apple campus could make things much worse.

I'm sure some sort of solution can be found, but there is no way the road system there is good enough to cope without significant changes.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Nicely played.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

Well, the one in Cupertino is going to be second to the UK Government Communications HQ:

http://www.gchq.gov.uk/about_us/index.html
  • Reply 15 of 43
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Too bad Santa Clara wasn't so forward thinking when the BART was being built and blocked the south route due to San Mateo not having the funds at the time and only Santa Clara stood in the way of helping out.

We got stuck with the CalTrain and the rest is history. To have the BART loop the entire Bay Area [the original plan] should have happened.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Too bad Santa Clara wasn't so forward thinking when the BART was being built and blocked the south route due to San Mateo not having the funds at the time and only Santa Clara stood in the way of helping out.

We got stuck with the CalTrain and the rest is history. To have the BART loop the entire Bay Area [the original plan] should have happened.

Couldn't agree more. And the VTA needs to be made useful.

I find if a farce that there is a VTA stop just down the street from my house, and the only way I can get to work in Fremont is on the bus, which would take me 90 minutes vs. 15 in the car. Ridiculous!
  • Reply 17 of 43
    scoatesscoates Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Well, the one in Cupertino is going to be second to the UK Government Communications HQ:

Shhh! That place is meant to be a _secret_
  • Reply 18 of 43
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"In Sunnyvale, we make decisions on projects like this after asking the residents how they feel about it, as opposed to declaring 'there's no way we're not going to approve this,' " said Sunnyvale Councilman Chris Moylan, criticizing Wong's remarks.

Translation: "We wouldn't be all giddy as schoolgirls at a Bieber concert just because Steve Jobs is in the room".

We'll see, Mr. Moylan, we'll see.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

OMG I smell a lawsuit coming on...!
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:

There will be people who want to buy homes here

My very first thought!