Apple rumored to offer next-gen MacBook Airs with black finish

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is rumored to offer the option of a black finish on its next-generation Sandy Bridge powered MacBook Air ultraportable notebooks expected to arrive in the near future, but the source publication has posted an update shedding doubt on the rumor.

Update: Emails sent to the publication from an alleged Apple employee claim Apple experimented with black powder coated MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models, but Apple CEO Steve Jobs "killed the idea" because the coating soaks up body oils. "At some point we may offer a black coating, but it won't be powder coat, and it won't be anytime soon," the tipster wrote.

Citing "several anonymous tips," MacRumors reported on Monday that Apple will will offer "at least some models" of its next MacBook Air with a black finish. That would be different from the aluminum currently found on all MacBook Air models.

"The most specific of the claims suggests that a black anodized aluminum case would be available on a top-end MacBook Air model, in much the same way as Apple once offered a high-end black MacBook on top of the standard white offerings," the report said.

Author Eric Slivka said the site is "unable to confirm the rumors," but given the fact that numerous tips have been received, the information was shared "for interest and discussion."

Last week, AppleInsider revealed that Apple is expected to hold off on introducing any new Mac hardware until Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, its next-generation operating system, becomes publicly available. Lion will become available in the Mac App Store for $29.99 in July, but it is believed that any new MacBook Air models would ship with the operating system preinstalled.

AppleInsider also learned that Apple is ready to build nearly 400,000 next-generation MacBook Airs this month in preparation for the anticipated launch. The new hardware is expected to sport Intel's latest Sandy Bridge processors, as well as the new high-speed Thunderbolt port codeveloped by Apple and Intel.

The new thin-and-light MacBook Air launched in late 2010 with a new 11.6-inch model and a lower $999 introductory price. The device was an instant hit, and made the MacBook Air one of the most popular products in the Mac lineup overnight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    I just do not see this happening unless they make a black model completely across the whole line of laptops. I suppose the other option is that this could be made out of the unibody carbon-fiber. Here's to hoping it's a dramatic redesign!
  • Reply 2 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Just yesterday I wrote that Apple should make a black Mac Mini. needless to say, a black Macbook Air would be sexy as hell. It's about time that Apple reintroduced some blackness back into their lineup. Hopefully this rumor turns out true.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is rumored to offer the option of a black finish on its next-generation Sandy Bridge powered MacBook Air ultraportable notebooks expected to arrive in the near future.

There is just no stopping Steve, eh? I never thought of a black MBA, but now I WANT one!
  • Reply 4 of 72
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    The real question is why has it taken them so long to offer a black anodized aluminium finish. Black finishes are definitely in their design language, and they have superior thermal performance.

They should absolutely give us black MBAs and MBPs
  • Reply 5 of 72
    nwmacnwmac Posts: 6member
    That's a horrible mock-up image of the "black" Air. The shadow/reflection underneath looks like the laptop is extremely bloated.

I think the actual product would look NICE though!
  • Reply 6 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    And I just want to add that if this rumor is somehow true and Apple will be releasing black models, then I hope that Apple isn't cheap like before and they give people black power supplies and black cables to go along with the all black Mac.

For a company as detail oriented as Apple, I am still surprised that they never bothered to make black accessories to go along with their black products.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And I just want to add that if this rumor is somehow true and Apple will be releasing black models, then I hope that Apple isn't cheap like before and they give people black power supplies and black cables to go along with the all black Mac.

For a company as detail oriented as Apple, I am still surprised that they never bothered to make black accessories to go along with their black products.

Excellent points.

I hope so too.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    I want blue or orange!
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinjo235 View Post

I just do not see this happening unless they make a black model completely across the whole line of laptops. I suppose the other option is that this could be made out of the unibody carbon-fiber. Here's to hoping it's a dramatic redesign!

I'm not sure I see this happening at all either.

Apple uses black in their design language, but they don't typically do finishes, paints, or coatings (with the single exception of the coloured iPods).

Even though it would be infinitely harder to accomplish, I would believe this more if they had found a way to make the metal itself black, as opposed to coating/anodising.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Terrible photoshop job on that image. What a joke. Why bother if you can't do better than that?
  • Reply 11 of 72
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    One thing is for sure, the original MacBook is dead. In fact, I believe now is a good time to just call the MacBook Air the new MacBook because the price and performance levels fi in just the right place in Apple's notebook lineup. It's truly hard to suggest to anyone that the white MacBook is a good idea, with the thinness of the 11" Air at the same price and the solid performance and build quality of the 13" Pro just $200 away.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    That is the worst Photochop job I've ever seen.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Those would probably (again) sell like hell.

But one's for sure: if they do this, they definitely need to bring back the backlight keyboards.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    I doubt this.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    can you imagine the posts in here if they released a laptop with a matte finish case with a glossy screen??
  • Reply 16 of 72
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadd View Post

I want blue or orange!

I want Blue Dalmatian!
  • Reply 17 of 72
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

can you imagine the posts in here if they released a laptop with a matte finish case with a glossy screen??

With the exception of the white Macbook, all of Apple's laptop line are matte with glossy screens (unless you spring for the matte/antiglare screen option where it's offered...).
  • Reply 18 of 72
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Apple uses black in their design language, but they don't typically do finishes, paints, or coatings (with the single exception of the coloured iPods).

It's debatable really, the satin aluminium MBPs and MBAs already have a surface finish, that's certainly not what a piece of polished aluminium would look like, it's not even what a piece of brushed aluminium would look like.

Apple don't state anywhere exactly what their finish is, but Rain do, and their iLap has a near identical finish which they describe as being

'sand-blasted and silver anodized finish'
  • Reply 19 of 72
    aluopaluop Posts: 57member
    A black model? Like this one?

• Reply 20 of 72
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just yesterday I wrote that Apple should make a black Mac Mini. needless to say, a black Macbook Air would be sexy as hell. It's about time that Apple reintroduced some blackness back into their lineup. Hopefully this rumor turns out true.

Three quarters of a year of black-only iPhones was not enough of black?