Verizon rumored to begin tiered data plans July 7 starting at $30 for 2GB

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon is expected to join AT&T in doing away with its unlimited data plans beginning July 7, with plans starting at $30 per month for 2GB of data, according to a new rumor.

Update: Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney told AllThingsD that the carrier will "move to a more usage based model in July,? with more details to come later.

The alleged details come via Droid-Life.com, which claims that Verizon will begin offering the plans to new customers starting July 7. Beyond the entry-level 2GB plan, Verizon will also reportedly offer 5GB for $50 per month, and 10GB for $80 per month.

Verizon is also rumored to offer tethering packages with its plans, starting at $50 per month for 4GB, $70 per month for 7GB, and $100 per month for 12GB. The report also said that overages will cost users $10 per gigabyte.

Tablet data plans are also said to run $30 for 2GB of data, replacing the current plan of $20 for 1GB.

"These new prices should not affect anyone that is currently under contract," the report said. "Major changes like this concern only new customers and possibly those that are up for a renewal."

If true, the change would come more than a year after AT&T rolled out its own capped data plans which run $25 per month for 2GB, and $15 per month for 200MB. AT&T also offers 4GB as part of a tethering plan for $45 per month.

Verizon openly stated back in January that unlimited data plans were only going to be available for a short while longer. Apple's iPhone arrived on the Verizon network in early February after years of exclusivity to AT&T.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    If true, these prices are even more Rediculous than AT&T. Good thing I got my iPhone when I did with them, at least I'll have unlimited data for another year and a half. After that, here's hoping Sprint finally has it and they haven't gotten rid of unlimited.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    greeng4greeng4 Posts: 33member
    Can anyone say "collusion"?
  • Reply 3 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Seeing as Verizon's prices are more expensive that ATT. No I would not call it collusion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

Can anyone say "collusion"?

• Reply 4 of 79
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    this data cap is for 3G/4G? tsk tsk tsk...everyone get out your wallets and tell them to bend over.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

If true, these prices are even more Rediculous than AT&T. Good thing I got my iPhone when I did with them, at least I'll have unlimited data for another year and a half. After that, here's hoping Sprint finally has it and they haven't gotten rid of unlimited.

I'm assuming you can be grandfathered in with unlimited like ATT. If not. That sucks
  • Reply 6 of 79
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Haha, I'm sure glad that I bought a Wifi only iPad. These prices are such a ripoff. $30 for 2 gigs?

That's enough to watch about 1 movie on netflix or download a movie from somewhere. That would be a damn expensive movie. You'd be better off going to a real movie theatre and getting a popcorn and drink for your $30.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    It makes me sick ! Just another 'screw job' for the American public !! Basterds !!!
  • Reply 8 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Basterds !!!

I'm no spelling nazi, but I think that you mean - Bastards !!!

• Reply 9 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Seeing as Verizon's prices are more expensive that ATT. No I would not call it collusion.

As a Canadian I used to be completely jealous of our American neighbors and the cell pricing but that's fading fast. We have it rough on voice plans but more and more that's offset by the data. I pay $30 a month for 6GB which includes tethering at no extra cost. Sickening when you look at how many thousand percent markup it is from the cost of data delivery to what they are charging.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm no spelling nazi, but I think that you mean - Bastards !!!

"Inglourious Basterds."
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

"Inglourious Basterds."

Yeah, that's true. I forgot about that movie.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I'm assuming you can be grandfathered in with unlimited like ATT. If not. That sucks

Most people are positive that you will be grandfathered. The question sites are asking is how long? Because most people have been hinting at a single-upgrade after which it won't matter and Big red will simply put you on the newer plans anyhow.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    I hope this is misinformation. The data prices listed are awful. Currently Verizon offers unlimited data for 30. To make sense, tiered plans need to offer lower cost options for users with more modest data usage. Starting them at 30 is a slap in the face at best, and bend over rape at worst.

What really sucks is that I live in a geographic region where Verizon is still the only viable option.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    I've been waiting and waiting for verizon tiered data. The idea of tiered data is users who use less, pay less, and users who use more, pay more. Only on verizon, tiered means everyone pays the same or more. At this point, I'll never get a new iPhone. I sure wish I could get by with an iPod touch + Skype.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtcowdog View Post

I hope this is misinformation. The data prices listed are awful. Currently Verizon offers unlimited data for 30. To make sense, tiered plans need to offer lower cost options for users with more modest data usage. Starting them at 30 is a slap in the face at best, and bend over rape at worst.

What really sucks is that I live in a geographic region where Verizon is still the only viable option.

Well i did a quick look to see what my carrier is offering and it converts to 9 GB for ~20 USD, so i'd say it's bend over rape going on here.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    greeng4greeng4 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

It's still collusion when multiple companies simultaneously (or close in time) raise prices or modify plan offerings that are a negative impact on the consumer and a positive one for the company. The prices don't have to be exact to still be classified as collusion.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtcowdog View Post

+1

I've been waiting specifically for the tiered plans, hoping to get an iPhone on a cheaper plan (like AT&T's $15 plan). If this is anything near true, I'm giving up on Verizon and going to AT&T. Can't afford a bill like that.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

It's still collusion when multiple companies simultaneously (or close in time) raise prices or modify plan offerings that are a negative impact on the consumer and a positive one for the company. The prices don't have to be exact to still be classified as collusion.

It's not collusion if they didn't communicate with each other in order to raise rates. AT&T has been on tiered for so long I don't think there's any doubt Verizon and AT&T aren't in cahoots with each other.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    They won't be happy until everyone is paying $99/mo, it really makes me want to get rid of it all. Such a scam. AT&T got rid of their $5 text plan. So it's either $10 for 1000 TXTs or 20¢ for each individual text. Only need 200 txts? Tough. I guess the bottom line is that I need to get of of the big cell companies and get on sprint or something.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I like how if the customer wants to change their contract it's always "iron clad" but when the carrier randomly changes the terms it "probably" won't affect people already under contract.

A contract used to be a contract. Nowadays a contract you make with a business is subject to change by them at any time for any reason, but by you ... never.

An indentured contract that can be altered at any time buy one party but not by the other is inherently unfair and closer to slavery than a contractual relation.