Big Dig

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey, you Boston folks...how's the Big Dig going? What's the latest on that humongous deal? I saw it a couple of years ago and it was a massive mess~

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    there was just a big story in the globe today about how far they were over-budget

i think it is finished tho, they are just settling lawsuits with the city because of the delays
  • Reply 2 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think it was over budget by a billion about ten years ago. Big waste of money and we all paid for it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Yeah, it was over budget not long after it started. They fired the guy in charge of it like four years ago. He got something like a quarter million dollars severence.

I was under the impression they finished a tunnel, but that the rest of the big dig still has YEARS to go.

*shrugs*

It's a freaking mess. Glad I don't drive. This whole city is a mess
  • Reply 4 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The Big Dig is still a nightmare. It's not nearly done either. I know Boston is still bad because every time I go into the city, something has changed (and not for the better).

Closer to me, we have Route 3, a 3-5 lane highway (on each side of the road) up here in Nashua. When you cross the border into Massachusetts, it drops immediately to 3 lanes. In NH, they go from 5 lanes to 4 lanes within 1/2 a mile, 4 to 3 in 1/2 a mile, and 3 to 2 when you cross in to MA.

Then it's two lanes with the road under constant construction from Tyngsboro to Burlington. A lousy drive to say the least with no end in sight.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    The Big Dig will take so long to finish from now that the Red Sox might even win a World Series before it is finished!

Well, OK, maybe not.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Man, I've been out of Mass already for about 3 years and that thing still isn't complete? That's worse than I-95 here in south CT.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Pray tell an underprivileged foreigner what a Big Dig is?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>Pray tell an underprivileged foreigner what a Big Dig is?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.bigdig.com/"; target="_blank">Here</a> ya go.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    They're basically moving the entire central artery (highway) underground. They're doing other assorted thing as well... like they built a new bridge that only looks pretty at night, a new tunnel to the airport, revamping parts of the subway, etceteras.

When they originall started it was supposed to be done around this year. Now I think we're back to 2008, maybe later. At night early in the morning if you're in the right places you can see huge caravans of cement trucks going in.

I hear the big dig costs like $20 million a day or something...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Some of you might think it's just a big Dud, but in a few years when you've all forgotten how much money and time it took you'll all love it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    But when it's all finished, will it make Boston a better place? I just hope all city planners took in account city growth etc.. during the years it's being reconstructed.

I hope so, as I hear Boston's a great town which I hope to visit.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>But when it's all finished, will it make Boston a better place? I just hope all city planners took in account city growth etc.. during the years it's being reconstructed.

I hope so, as I hear Boston's a great town which I hope to visit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, it will make it a better place. I've visited Boston during the Big Dig process and it's clearly evident the highways negative effect on the city. It's like a sharp knife cut the city in half with this big ugly green elevated fume spuing highway. It's not a pedestian freindly gesture and cuts off the waterfront from the downtown. When all said and done, this seam will be transformed into a garden space reconnecting the broken communities and water front district of downtown boston. Boston will be a much more beautiful place to visit when the Big Dig is finished. Personally I loved the visit and would recommend it to anyone.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I think it's suppose to be done around 2006. I think a lot of the hard stuff is done or near done, then its just connecting it all and getting rid of the old stuff.

I drove thru the new tunnel its really nice and they take over your radio to keep you up to date with traffic. Also if the tiles on hte side of hte tunnel are brown then you are underground, if they are blue then you are under the water.