Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report late has lent credence to rumors that Apple's next iPhone will arrive in September and feature the A5 processor and an 8-megapixel camera, and also claims that a new iPad with a higher resolution screen is being tested by the company.

Two people familiar with Apple's plans relayed the information to Bloomberg, while also bolstering rumors that Apple is working on a higher resolution iPad. Apple's next iPhone "will include the A5 processor, the more powerful chip that Apple added to the iPad 2 earlier this year, along with an 8-megapixel camera, up from the 5-megapixel model in the iPhone 4," said the publication's sources.

As is to be expected, the new device would come with iOS 5, which is due out this fall, according to people familiar with the matter. Sources also said the new iPhone would closely resemble the iPhone 4.

AppleInsider reported in April that the so-called iPhone 5 will sport the A5 processor currently found in the iPad 2 and a higher resolution 8 megapixel rear camera, and would begin production in August. Numerous other reports have pointed to similar details for the next-generation iPhone.

The report's insiders also rekindled a rumor that Apple is working on a cheaper version of the iPhone for emerging markets using "chips and displays of similar quality to today's iPhone 4." Rumors of a low-cost iPhone emerged this spring, though there is some disagreement regarding the details of the project.

"Apple is also testing a new version of the iPad that has a higher resolution screen, similar to the one now used in the iPhone 4," the Bloomberg report cited sources as saying. The iPhone 4 currently features a Retina Display with a resolution of 960 x 640 and a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch. The resolution of the next-generation iPad would be about "one-third higher" than the iPad 2's display and will feature a more responsive touchscreen, people said.

Various reports have suggested the iPad could see a display upgrade that would double the tablet's linear resolution to 2048 x 1536. Last week, double-resolution iPad images in the iOS 5 beta sparked renewed speculation that Apple is planning the improved display.

Also last week, an unverified report from Taiwan's Economic Daily claimed Apple will launch the iPad 3 in the fourth quarter with "image resolution 5-6 times higher than iPad 2." If the number of pixels of the current iPad 2 were multiplied by 5-6 times, the resulting pixel density would be 330 ppi and 396 ppi respectively.

Such a solution would be less elegant, however, than the simple doubled resolution of the iPhone 4 compared to the iPhone 3GS. Apple designed iOS to automatically scale existing apps to the higher resolution of the iPhone 4, while also allowing developers to provide custom artwork that would make Retina versions of iPhone 4 apps look "exceptional."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Best buy unlocked so by the time a new one comes out in the usual timeframe next year, it wouldn't be tied up to a contract. I will.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    Hot damn
  • Reply 3 of 58
    I'd much rather have a camera with a faster shutter than one with higher resolution. When I look at my iPhone 4 pictures, most problems have to do with blurred movement, not lack of resolution.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I'd much rather have a camera with a faster shutter than one with higher resolution. When I look at my iPhone 4 pictures, most problems have to do with blurred movement, not lack of resolution.

Hey, the 1st three comments were made by users who all created their account in April. Touche
  • Reply 5 of 58
    bmoviebmovie Posts: 88member
    Let's hope the iPad 3 also gets voice capabilities!

Gotta get ahead of the "Ice Cream Sandwich" Tsunami!
  • Reply 6 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I thought the new rumour for the iPad display was that it would be getting a higher res, but only about 1/3 more resolution? What I assume is XGA (1024x768) to SXGA+ (1400x1050) per the rumour.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    What about the iPod Touch? Will it get an A5? I want to hear a reported rumor about that. I've read that usually it gets the same processor as the iPhones. Has that always been the case?
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What about the iPod Touch? Will it get an A5? I want to hear a reported rumor about that. I've read that usually it gets the same processor as the iPhones. Has that always been the case?

Same processor? Yes. Sometimes even clocked higher than the iPhone.

Same amount of RAM on package? No.

Same resolution display? Yes.

Same quality display? No.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    My guess is that this alleged 1/3 higher resolution iPad is just an engineering sample and not intended as a production candidate. It'll never get beyond the DVT stage.

Apple prototypes hundreds of devices a year and only a few designs make it to market. It would make sense that there would be some oddities like this speculated one.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spider999 View Post

I paid

Phishing much?
  • Reply 11 of 58
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    Damn......I was gonna switch to Verizon today [from AT&T] and get the iPhone 4.....now what????????.....
  • Reply 12 of 58
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:

I paid ...

What, no "enhancement" products?
  • Reply 13 of 58
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

There are three key variables that control a photo's exposure: shutter speed, aperture and ISO (light sensitivity.)

Most of the time, a blurred photo is due to dim light conditions which require the camera to use a slower shutter speed. Forcing the camera to use a faster shutter speed in such situations might eliminate the motion blur but would also result in an underexposed photo.

A larger lens aperture would certainly help, but it's physically impossible to cram a huge lens into a 9.3mm thick device.

The third variable is the camera's ISO setting (sensitivity). What you're really asking for is an iPhone camera with better light sensitivity. Low light performance generally correlates with a lower pixel density image sensor. This is a key reason why a professional camera with an 8mp sensor will easily outperform a pocket camera with 12mp (better dynamic range & less noise at high ISO settings.)

Unfortunately, cramming more megapixels into the same tiny sensor has the opposite effect, so the iPhone 5's "upgrade" to an 8 megapixel sensor will likely result in poorer low light performance.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

I paid ..

If you're going to spam an Apple Forum at least falsely advertise cheap Apple goods to try and get hits.

Guess scum like you don't even have a basic education but come on!
  • Reply 15 of 58
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blowabs View Post

Damn......I was gonna switch to Verizon today [from AT&T] and get the iPhone 4.....now what????????.....

Why do so many people think about buying iPhones when a new model is just around the corner?
  • Reply 16 of 58
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    People, if you're going to reply to a spammer, please don't quote the web site or other identifying information, remove that info from the reply. That way, it's easier to clean up after the spammer. Thanks.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    cjnovakcjnovak Posts: 13member
    Another explanation for 'only' 1/3 more resolution is a switch from 'square screen' resolution (aka TV 4:3) to 'wide screen' resolution (aka HD-TV 16:9). Do the math --

((16/9)-(4/3))/(4/3) = 1/3 more.

So instead of a 1024x768 XGA screen, you'd have a 1366x768 WXGA screen. This enables 720p HD-TV resolution on the iPad, making it a nice match for the iPad's optional HDMI adapter.

It would also remove one of the 'advantages' of the Motorola's Xoom Android tablet which is already HD resolution at 1280x800.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Why do so many people think about buying iPhones when a new model is just around the corner?

Maybe they need a phone NOW?
  • Reply 19 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjnovak View Post

Another explanation for 'only' 1/3 more resolution is a switch from 'square screen' resolution (aka TV 4:3) to 'wide screen' resolution (aka HD-TV 16:9). Do the math --

((16/9)-(4/3))/(4/3) = 1/3 more.

So instead of a 1024x768 XGA screen, you'd have a 1366x768 WXGA screen. This enables 720p HD-TV resolution on the iPad, making it a nice match for the iPad's optional HDMI adapter.

It would also remove one of the 'advantages' of the Motorola's Xoom Android tablet which is already HD resolution at 1280x800.

Apple thought long and hard about the aspect ratio. 16:9 makes no sense on a tablet that will be used for heavy reading. 4:3 is here to stay. If all you want to do is watch movies then some 16:9 ratio would be better, but you'll get letter boxing.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    cjnovakcjnovak Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

New models are ALWAYS "around the corner", and until they're announced and available (usually two separate dates!), they're just vaporware. As soon as the new one is announced, there will be speculation about the NEXT new model -- you could wait forever!

In March, I sold my iPad 1 and bought an iPad 2 because I recognized the VALUE of the 2nd version to ME (HDMI adapter, rear camera, and the 'cool' magnetic on/off cover/stand), even tho there was already iPad 3 speculation, and the iPad 2' was being 'panned' for "lack" of a retina display, and a lower-resolution rear camera (which I find fine for video and scanning QR codes).

My iPad 2 upgrade has been well worth the expense. And if the iPad 3 offers additional enhanced VALUE (to me), I may upgrade to that as well. A side benefit to this is that I keep getting additional value, along with a new WARRANTY. And a year old machine sold at a reduced price of a new one has attractive VALUE to someone else as well!