'CNBC Titans' biography of Apple CEO Steve Jobs airs Thursday night

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The season premiere of "CNBC Titans" will kick off this Thursday at 9 p.m. when the program offers an unauthorized look at Apple's iconic chief executive, Steve Jobs.

In previous seasons, "CNBC Titans" has offered a closer look at legendary executives and staples of American culture like Donald Trump, Ted Turner, Hugh Hefner and Merv Griffin. This week's season premiere will mark the first time the program takes an unauthorized look at Jobs.

"Irrepressible and iconic, Steve Jobs has reigned as the undisputed king of Silicon Valley for the better part of three decades," the official episode description reads. "From the Macintosh and the iPod, to iTunes and the iPhone, Jobs has secured his legacy as one of the few who dared to 'Think Different.'"

Before the episode airs, viewers can preview the hourlong program and watch a number of exclusive Web extras available on the online episode guide. There, some of the highlights of the program are also detailed.

The previews and Web features indicate the special will cover Jobs' role in the personal computer revolution, as well as his "confrontational personality." One snippet notes that Jobs is "famous for his ruthless reputation inside the walls of Apple."

"From his parents' California garage he launched the personal computer revolution and built Apple into the most envied, and valuable, technology company in the world," the description reads.

Future episodes of "Titans" this season will cover musician Quincy Jones, Jack Daniel's whiskey, and Hershey's chocolate. New episodes will premiere on Thursdays through the end of August.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The previews and Web features indicate the special will cover Jobs' role in the personal computer revolution, as well as his "confrontational personality." One snippet notes that Jobs is "famous for his ruthless reputation inside the walls of Apple."

Sounds like a hatchet job (no pun intended).

Meh. I'll skip it.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    None of the previews play.

Thanks, Flash.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The season premiere of "CNBC Titans" will kick off this Thursday at 9 p.m. when the program offers an unauthorized look at Apple's iconic chief executive, Steve Jobs.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm going to guess and say that this documentary will be an 8 on the cringe scale due to lack of proper research and the inability to understand the subject at hand.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm going to guess and say that this documentary will be an 8 on the cringe scale due to lack of proper research and the inability to understand the subject at hand.

most likely.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    I predict sensationalism with only enough truth (or plausibility) to sustain interest and make "experts" out of nay-sayers, but with enough uncertainty to generate word of mouth and secondary viewing.

Short version: it will be a television show.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Sounds like a hatchet job (no pun intended).

Meh. I'll skip it.

Typical fanboi... ignore anything you don't want to hear and say everything is perfect.

I'm sure you cover your eyes when your Apple product crashes or has an issue and then go state you've never seen an Apple product have a single issue
  • Reply 7 of 37
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

Typical fanboi... ignore anything you don't want to hear and say everything is perfect.

I'm sure you cover your eyes when your Apple product crashes or has an issue and then go state you've never seen an Apple product have a single issue

Typical Mac hater.

It's an UNOFFICIAL look. How can it ever be subjective? It doesn't have any of the proper information.

It's not fanboidom it's not wanting to be tied up with the droll that fuels idiots like you.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    A lot of great things came out of garages in America, rock & roll and Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Typical Mac hater.

It's an UNOFFICIAL look. How can it ever be subjective? It doesn't have any of the proper information.

It's not fanboidom it's not wanting to be tied up with the droll that fuels idiots like you.

The opposite of this.

OFFICIAL biographies are the ones that tend to be extremely one-sided, unbalanced, biased etc - for the simple reason that they are commissioned/authorised by the individual being covered. And for better or for worse, most people tend to have fairly flattering views of themselves. In particular, megalomaniacs who will tend to downplay the impact of their actions on others.

UNOFFICIAL biographies avoid many of these issues (whilst of course occasionally succumbing to others).
  • Reply 10 of 37
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    I would love to watch this - but I live in the UK \
  • Reply 11 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Love him or hate but you can't ignore him. Job's place in history is secure. He may or may not have put a dent in it but the universe definitely knows he was here. Not so much for fanboys and trolls. The universe doesn't know we even existed.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Love him or hate but you can't ignore him. Job's place in history is secure. He may or may not have put a dent in it but the universe definitely knows he was here. Not so much for fanboys and trolls. The universe doesn't know we even existed.

Agreed but on your last point's past tense ... I'm still here! ...
  • Reply 13 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Maybe it will be on the web site after it airs?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

For this reason, Tim Berners-Lee and Al Gore invented the interwebz.

Google it. Oh, wait...
  • Reply 15 of 37
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

The opposite of this.

OFFICIAL biographies are the ones that tend to be extremely one-sided, unbalanced, biased etc - for the simple reason that they are commissioned/authorised by the individual being covered. And for better or for worse, most people tend to have fairly flattering views of themselves. In particular, megalomaniacs who will tend to downplay the impact of their actions on others.

UNOFFICIAL biographies avoid many of these issues (whilst of course occasionally succumbing to others).

Agreed. I already have my DVR set to record it.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe it will be on the web site after it airs?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

For this reason, Tim Berners-Lee and Al Gore invented the interwebz.

Google it. Oh, wait...

lol! I guess I just assumed that I would get one of those "This video is unavailable in you region blah blah blah" messages

However, I just checked out the Preview clip on the CNBC site and it worked so all should be well...

• Reply 17 of 37
    "Do you want sell sugared water for the rest of your life or have a chance to change the world?"

Bold.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    the universe is inanimate
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alladdinn View Post

the universe is inanimate

If so, we must be too.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

Typical hater... ignore anything you don't want to hear and say Apple products aren't perfect.

I'm sure you cover your eyes when your Windows product crashes or has an issue and then go state that Apple products have the same issues