Benefits of moving entirely to ARM?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Would Apple ( or the computer industry as a whole) benefit from moving its entire processing architecture to ARM?

What would Intel do in light of ARM's gaining encroachment to its main business, mobile computing sector?

I took a look at ARM's future roadmap, and it seems like are some interesting projects coming out ( A15's quad core and other scalable processor architectures).

Intel would have to pull its muscle in influence through its massive developers to counteract the advancement from ARM.

Recently, Intel was openly positive of a possibility of buliding Apple's next generation SoC in their fab. Is Intel caving in to ARM? Are they going to abandom the likes of Atom and other ultra low processors?

I feel like a world with only one architecture has its benefits: universal platform compatability throughout all the OS platforms, optimized low level coding etc.

Also, I see a day when OSX and iOS runs on ARM. Eventually, I feel the two would perhaps compete with one another.

/philosophical thoughts

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Would Apple ( or the computer industry as a whole) benefit from moving its entire processing architecture to ARM?

Nope. They would have to drop tens of major application suites, which will not be ported over easily or quickly.

Quote:

What would Intel do in light of ARM's gaining encroachment to its main business, mobile computing sector?

Block silicon supplies or whatever other anti-competitive practise they can buy their way out of.

Quote:

Also, I see a day when OSX and iOS runs on ARM. Eventually, I feel the two would perhaps compete with one another.

iOS is really OS X compiled for ARM - eventually, I can see there being universal apps for both.

I actually think things might swing the other way and iPads and iPhones move to x86. Right now, ARM is a better proposition because Intel focus on a certain performance bar and can't scale down very well.

In future iterations, Intel is going to change this. Ivy Bridge is focusing on low-power and they could have chips run at under 5W but full desktop-class performance.

While standard apps would need remade UIs and recompiled, games wouldn't so you could put the full Call of Duty 4 onto an iPad directly.