Apple's second beta of iOS 5.0 enables wireless sync with iTunes 10.5 beta 2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday released the second private beta of iOS 5.0 which enables wireless syncing of iOS devices to a new beta of iTunes 10.5.

Both pieces of software are available only to registered Apple developers. The new builds of iOS 5.0 were made available in nine separate distributions, each referenced as build 9A5248d, while the required iTunes beta is listed as iTunes 10.5 beta 2.

Also released Friday was Xcode 4.2 Developer Preview 2 (build 4C114 for Snow Leopard and 4D58 for Lion), which includes updates to both the iOS 5 and Lion software development kits, as well as a second beta of Apple TV 2.0 software for testing AirPlay functionality with apps.

Those developers looking to try out wireless syncing on a test device running iOS 5.0 beta 2 will be required to install iTunes 10.5 beta 2 on a Mac running either Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Mac OS X Lion.

Once developers install both pieces of software and connect their iOS device to a Mac running iTunes, they'll see an option to enable wireless syncing, though Apple currently recommends that developers perform their initial sync with a cable after restoring your device.

Also introduced in the WebKit distribution included with iOS 5.0 beta 2 is a new inherited CSS property dubbed WebKit Overflow Scrolling, which allows web developers to enable native-style scrolling in an overflow scroll element.

Aside from those changes, Apple reportedly told developers that a new version of iMessage included with iOS 5.0 beta 2 will not be able to communicate with iMessage on devices running the initial beta.

Update:BGR has posted a full change-log for the second iOS 5 beta release. Notable changes and known issues include:

When creating an iCloud account you can use any Apple ID provided it is a full email address and not a MobileMe account. If you have a MobileMe account, you can copy data from that account to an iCloud account to use during testing. You can find more information on iCloud at: http://developer.apple.com/icloud

Starting in iOS 5.0, video content in applications and websites are AirPlay-enabled by default.

When signing in with a Classic MobileMe account via iOS 5.0 Setup Assistant, it offers iCloud Backup.

As this is beta software it is recommended that you do not use the iCloud services to store any critical data or information. If you enable iCloud Backup, automatic backup with iTunes when syncing will be disabled. We suggest you also manually back up your device with iTunes.

In the iOS 5 beta, support for data protection in iCloud Backup is unavailable. Apps that have protected files will not have any of their data or metadata backed up as a result.

Starting in iOS 5.0, video content in applications and websites are AirPlay-enabled by default.

Apple TV Software beta enables users to mirror the contents of an iPad 2 to an Apple TV (2nd generation) using AirPlay. This beta software also enables Photo Stream on Apple TV so users can access photos stored in iCloud. Apple TV Software beta is being provided to test the latest AirPlay functionality with your iOS 5 apps and web sites. If you wish to install Apple TV Software beta on your device, you must first register your device UDID in the iOS Developer Program Portal.

FIXED: In an iMessage conversation, video/audio attachments cannot be viewed in the transcript on either side of the conversation.

NEW: Sending an MMS of large videos does not work.

Push and local notifications for apps appear in the new Notification Center in iOS 5.0. Notification Center displays notifications that are considered ?unread?. In order to accommodate push and local notifications that have no ?unread? status, developers can use their application badge count to trigger a clearing of notifications from Notification Center. When an application clears its badge count (by setting it to zero), iOS 5 will clear its notifications from Notification Center.

(WebKit) Touch events are now supported on input fields.

Wireless syncing is triggered automatically when the device is connected to power and on the same network as the paired computer. Or, you can manually trigger a sync from iTunes or from Settings -> General -> iTunes Sync (same network as paired computer required). Be sure your device is plugged into a power source when performing Wireless syncs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    i'm glad that apple is FINALLY employing this. People can save money so they don't have to buy wires (i had to buy at least 3 or 4 of them because of wear and tear and they aren't cheap!!).
  • Reply 2 of 43
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

i'm glad that apple is FINALLY employing this. People can save money so they don't have to buy wires (i had to buy at least 3 or 4 of them because of wear and tear and they aren't cheap!!).

Nice to see Apple finally trying to catch up with Google on environmental issues like this.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    btw the iPhone must be connected to a power source for wireless sync, so not wireless-wireless.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

btw the iPhone must be connected to a power source for wireless sync, so not wireless-wireless.

Joking??
  • Reply 5 of 43
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Yes and no.

It will automatically sync when connected to a power source, but you can manually start the sync whenever it is not, unless that idea has been changed in this release (downloading b2 now, so not 100% sure).
  • Reply 6 of 43
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Yes and no.

It will automatically sync when connected to a power source, but you can manually start the sync whenever it is not, unless that idea has been changed in this release (downloading b2 now, so not 100% sure).

same here, I read that it needed to be connected but will find out in about 20 mins..
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Nice to see Apple finally trying to catch up with Google on environmental issues like this.

Thank goodness google is doing that. I thought I was doing it by myself.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

same here, I read that it needed to be connected but will find out in about 20 mins..

Reading the release notes, I was correct about what I said. It will automatically sync whenever plugged into a power source and you can manually start it whenever it is not.

Quote:

Wireless syncing is triggered automatically when the device is connected to power and on the same network as the paired computer. Or, you can manually trigger a sync from iTunes or from Settings -> General -> iTunes Sync (same network as paired computer required). Be sure your device is plugged into a power source when performing Wireless syncs.

• Reply 9 of 43
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Reading the release notes, I was correct about what I said. It will automatically sync whenever plugged into a power source and you can manually start it whenever it is not.

So at night when I plug my phone in to charge on my night stand, it will sync automatically? Good!
  • Reply 10 of 43
    I'm curious how the manual wireless sync will work and how the untethered iPhone appears in itunes. And does this mean you'll be able to manually drag and drop music to it over wifi? Or only sync / backup? It would be nice if whenever on the same network the phone would simply appear in itunes as a connected device.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Here's hoping Apple have sorted all of the iMessage bugs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

So, what do you use to charge it then?

Seriously..
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also introduced in the WebKit distribution included with iOS 5.0 beta 2 is a new inherited CSS property dubbed WebKit Overflow Scrolling, which allows web developers to enable native-style scrolling in an overflow scroll element.

Anyone else excited about this?!? I was wondering when they were going to implement something versus the very unintuitive method of two-finger scrolling.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

...versus the very unintuitive method of two-finger scrolling.

You haven't used a Mac laptop since 2005, have you?
  • Reply 14 of 43
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    I currently have my MBP connect to my AirPort Extreme via the 5GHz band and my iPhone 4 via the 2.4 GHz band, can iTunes sync work across those two networks or does my MBP need to be connected via 2.4? I use the 5 GHz band because no one in my apartment building uses any computer in that range and I don't want to have them siphoning off my connection. I can't use AirPlay through my AirPort unless it's plugged into an ethernet port and the wifi is off. Will I have to change bands on my MBP or can I plug it into it with a LAN cable and sync that way?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

So, what do you use to charge it then?

I have three cords too. One for my MBP, one for my bedroom and one for the car (since unused after installing a charger and connector to my head unit). It's easy to have multiple cords and wireless syncing can mitigate the need for more cords.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You haven't used a Mac laptop since 2005, have you?

MacBook trackpad (Ã* la cursor) interactions are a lot different than iOS touch-based interactions; in iOS you don't expect the need to use two fingers to scroll.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

A MacBook trackpad (cursor) interactions are a lot different than iOS touch-based interactions; in iOS you don't expect the need to use two fingers to scroll.

But it makes a lot of sense inside a scrollable frame on an also-scrollable page.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    For some reason, I can sync my iPad without it being plugged into a power source. And no, I'm not complaining.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

But it makes a lot of sense inside a scrollable frame on an also-scrollable page.

Really?

To me I feel like it's something I would just be like "oh, scrolling frames on an also scrollable page doesn't work." In fact, I think that I've always thought it never worked, I didn't realize until now you needed to use two fingers. It just isn't obvious because there is no interaction (besides that) in iOS that requires a user to use two fingers to scroll or move content.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

The whole point is that right now there is nothing inside that div that reflects that it should scroll. Unlike on my desktop machine which has scrollbars. Honestly, I should have been more clear about that when I originally posted. My whole grievance with the current method is that there is nothing there that shows that it can scroll. Two-finger scrolling isn't that big of a deal, it is trying to explain to someone for the umpteenth time that there comments didn't disappear, and that they can be seen by scrolling in the box.

It is about usability.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:

That's not true. I can sync without a power source connection. My MB Pro uses 802.11n and of course the iPhone is limited to 802.11g. They even have different network names and it works fine. I use an AEBS. Not the one that came out last week, the previous one.