"Smoking Gun"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With inspections, re-inspections, sattelite photos, and speaches galore, I've heard the term "Smoking Gun" thrown around a great deal by the media, politicians, and AI posters. A lot of attention is centered on whether or not this proverbial "Smoking Gun" has been found. Many people demand proof of the "Smoking Gun" and many other people are dutifully looking for it. Does this bother anyone else?

Guns don't smoke until after they've been fired. I for one would much rather find a loaded gun, or no gun at all. Will the person that coined this phrase really not believe that Iraq is illegaly re-arming until the devices have detonated, or is it just that accurate terminology been tossed aside in favor of more dramatic effect?

Sorry if this appears to be simple nit-picking to others, I'm not trying to start a flame-war, but it's something I just had to find out if other people are rubbed the wrong way by.

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: Guartho ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I never thought about it that way.

It's probably like you say: accurate terminology been tossed aside in favor of more dramatic effect?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It's nothing more than a simple term for people who don't bother thinking about it to latch on to.

"'Smoking gun'... hmmm... I heard that on Law & Order once... I like it... YEAH BUSH, WHERE'S THE SMOKING GUN!?!!?!"