Apple brings TRIM support to all SSD-based Macs in Mac OS X 10.6.8

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has added TRIM support for all SSD-configurable Macs and fixes to improve graphics performance in the latest version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Although Apple added TRIM in March to a custom build of Mac OS X 10.6.6 for Thunderbolt MacBook Pros, Mac OS X 10.6.8 marks the first time active SSD TRIM support is enabled across all SSD-capable Macs.

However, the new native TRIM support appears to be limited to stock Apple drives, as users with third-party SSDs installed have reported that the feature is not enabled by the update, according to a MacRumors report.

The TRIM command enables an operating system to optimize a solid state drive by cleaning up unused bits of deleted files. SSDs must be erased before being rewritten with new data, and also require housekeeping to avoid unnecessary erase/write cycles that would shorten the lives of the drives.

Apple had been preparing support for the feature in Mac OS X Lion for this summer, but apparently decided to bring the feature to Snow Leopard as well. Hints that Apple planned to include TRIM support for future Macs first emerged last year in SSD-equipped MacBook Pros.

Meanwhile, aset of benchmarks from MacsOnly shows the latest version of Snow Leopard to include graphics improvements that boost gaming performance. In particular, OpenGL received a substantial boost of as much as 48 percent, according to the graphics test.

Users have reported real-world improvements to the frame rates of various games after installing Mac OS X 10.6.8. The update appears to erase an intermittent issue with graphics performance that was affecting users of Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 arrived last week with enhancements to the Mac App Store in preparation for Mac OS X Lion. Other fixes in the update include: resolution of an issue with Preview, improved support for IPv6, improved VPN reliability, and the ability to identify and remove known variants of the Mac Defender malware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The update appears to erase an intermittent issue with graphics performance that was affecting users of Mac OS X 10.6.7.

And it creates a new issue when initiating screen sharing to a dual monitor Mac Pro--only the bottom quarter-to-half of the two displays is displayed. Wunnerful.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:

However, the new native TRIM support appears to be limited to stock Apple drives, as users with third-party SSDs installed have reported that the feature is not enabled by the update, according to a MacRumors report.

Well, it's true. I have an OWC Mercury drive installed in a Mac Mini and I can't get the TRIM enabled on it. Supposedly the Mercury has its own "Sandforce" optimizer but I have no idea about its efficacy. No way to tell if it's working or not.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Confirmed on my 2010 MacBook Air.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groths.org

1. check if your SSD supports trim at all, by googling on the model, if yes, continue

2. check if ur ssd already uses internal garbage collection, if no, continue

3. try trim enabler

http://www.groths.org/?p=387
  • Reply 5 of 25
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Haha, they added more graphic drivers
  • Reply 6 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pattinson View Post

Apple always stays ahead of the curve.

Except TRIM has been around for QUITE some time. You've done a poor job hiding your off-topic question within the context of the thread.

Quote:

And I still a question anyone recommned an easy-to-use iPad Video Converter?

HandBrake. Google works quite well for this sort of thing.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Since iPods and iPhones have SSDs is there any type of TRIM support for them? They need it more than computer hard drives because they are so small.

Who knows the answer to this one?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    nixbsdnixbsd Posts: 5member
    still going to sticks with this Snow Leopard ? Lion release is imminent.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nixbsd View Post

still going to sticks with this Snow Leopard ? Lion release is imminent.

If you could reword this to contain some coherency, that'd be great. Apple hardly needs to hold this back until Lion's release.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

And it creates a new issue when initiating screen sharing to a dual monitor Mac Pro--only the bottom quarter-to-half of the two displays is displayed. Wunnerful.

And I have two new problems with 10.6.8. myself. It messed up my sleep mode so that when I put my 2009 24" iMac to sleep it stays asleep and I have to shutdown. Secondly, Safari freezes quite often. I never had any problems with updates ever. Guess I've been lucky up till now. I didn't experience any problems with my 2009 13" Macbook Pro though with the update. Btw, I checked and did everything suggested online. I'm going back to 10.6.7. At least they each have an external HDD using Time Machine.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Using the built in display and an external 23" with my MacBook (first generation) over VNC from an iPad with no problems, so it's not a universal issue at least.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Using the built in display and an external 23" with my MacBook (first generation) over VNC from an iPad with no problems, so it's not a universal issue at least.

Since Lion is the Next Big Thing and the main purpose of 10.6.8 seems to be providing the path to Lion, it doesn't give me much confidence that 10.6.8 was thoroughly tested or that any bugs that still exist or are new will be fixed--unless they also exist in Lion.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Since Lion is the Next Big Thing and the main purpose of 10.6.8 seems to be providing the path to Lion, it doesn't give me much confidence that 10.6.8 was thoroughly tested or that any bugs that still exist or are new will be fixed--unless they also exist in Lion.

10.6.8 is an upgrade to Snow Leopard. It isn't a path to Lion: it just ensures that those who want the stability of Snow Leopard over the bleeding edge of Lion will have the best experience.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Well, it's true. I have an OWC Mercury drive installed in a Mac Mini and I can't get the TRIM enabled on it. Supposedly the Mercury has its own "Sandforce" optimizer but I have no idea about its efficacy. No way to tell if it's working or not.

And probably by the time it matters, the whole thing will be out of date and anyways
  • Reply 16 of 25
    NO TRIM SUPPORT ON MY 2010 MacBook Air 128GB SSD.

APPLE SSD SM128

How come?

Quote:

Apple has added TRIM support for all SSD-configurable Macs and fixes to improve graphics performance in the latest version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Although Apple added TRIM in March to a custom build of Mac OS X 10.6.6 for Thunderbolt MacBook Pros, Mac OS X 10.6.8 marks the first time active SSD TRIM support is enabled across all SSD-capable Macs.

The TRIM command enables an operating system to optimize a solid state drive by cleaning up unused bits of deleted files. SSDs must be erased before being rewritten with new data, and also require housekeeping to avoid unnecessary erase/write cycles that would shorten the lives of the drives.

Apple had been preparing support for the feature in Mac OS X Lion for this summer, but apparently decided to bring the feature to Snow Leopard as well. Hints that Apple planned to include TRIM support for future Macs first emerged last year in SSD-equipped MacBook Pros.

Meanwhile, aset of benchmarks from MacsOnly shows the latest version of Snow Leopard to include graphics improvements that boost gaming performance. In particular, OpenGL received a substantial boost of as much as 48 percent, according to the graphics test.

Users have reported real-world improvements to the frame rates of various games after installing Mac OS X 10.6.8. The update appears to erase an intermittent issue with graphics performance that was affecting users of Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 arrived last week with enhancements to the Mac App Store in preparation for Mac OS X Lion. Other fixes in the update include: resolution of an issue with Preview, improved support for IPv6, improved VPN reliability, and the ability to identify and remove known variants of the Mac Defender malware.

• Reply 17 of 25
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Is TRIM support needed to help a hybrid drive work efficiently? Anyone had any experience with a hybrid drive? I'm looking for something bigger than 256GB, but faster than a typical hard drive. SSD is way too expensive at that size. A 500GB hybrid drive is about $100.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Do some research online (e.g. at Anandtech.com). The effectiveness of the Sandforce controller's internal garbage collection routine is quite well established. Right now a Sandforce-equipped SSD is the only good third party choice for a Mac in those cases when TRIM can't be enabled.

However see also the very interesting link elsewhere in this thread to TRIM Enabler (http://www.groths.org/?p=387). Assuming this works?and I haven't tried it?a much wider choice of SSDs is opened up.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quevar View Post

Is TRIM support needed to help a hybrid drive work efficiently? Anyone had any experience with a hybrid drive? I'm looking for something bigger than 256GB, but faster than a typical hard drive. SSD is way too expensive at that size. A 500GB hybrid drive is about $100.

If you're looking at the Seagate Momentus I suggest you read the customer reviews at Newegg.com first. Between the DOA units, the early life failures, the noise issues and the ineffective firmware fixes you'll soon lose interest. At least I did.

Too bad, since it's an interesting concept, but Seagate has failed miserably to execute.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Do some research online (e.g. at Anandtech.com). The effectiveness of the Sandforce controller's internal garbage collection routine is quite well established. Right now a Sandforce-equipped SSD is the only good third party choice for a Mac in those cases when TRIM can't be enabled.

However see also the very interesting link elsewhere in this thread to TRIM Enabler (http://www.groths.org/?p=387). Assuming this works?and I haven't tried it?a much wider choice of SSDs is opened up.

I use trim enabler with my OWC drive with a Sandforce controller. Going on a few months now with 0 issues, very pleased with the drive and happy with what trim enabler provides. It may vary by drive and by system so I can only speak for my own experience. I re-patched for 10.6.8 so I'll see how that turns out.