NEWS RADIO

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just pulled out one of my tapes of the old NBC series News Radio and was watching an episode this morning...the one where there's a fire in the building and Dave and Lisa are using it as an excuse to get back together.

At the end of the episode everyone is sitting around the conference table smoking cigars and the building settles. Dave and Lisa, looking for any opportunity to "get busy" act really worried and Lisa volunteers to dial the Fire Marshall...she and Dave rush into his office to have sex...

Now this is where I'm either up WAAAY too early, or I've found where they got a dirty word past the censors...

Dave final line is: "You dial and I'll *****."

Now, that last line is a little garbled because of the audience laughter and the fact the line falls closely on the heels of another person's dialogue.

BUT, I think that the last word he says is in fact: F-U-C-K.

If this is what he's really saying I can't believe that I never noticed it before. It's pretty funny if they got that past the censors. If anybody has this episode on tape (or has a friend who's a big News Radio fan) go take a listen and tell me what you think he's saying....

Kind of weird to watch a comedy show using a fire in a skyscraper as a premise for an episode...that was back when everything was "safe".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I remember that episode. I can't remember the exact line, but I'm pretty sure it was someting else. It probably won't be long until a show goes for the F word outright, though.

BTW, I loved News Radio! A big part of my morning routine was watching it on A@E until they took it off a couple months ago. Smart and silly-and always funny.

Maura Tierney was such a cutie on that show, too-she always looks kind of haggard on ER.

Jeff
  • Reply 2 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Phil Heartman was one of the few celebrity death I cared about. Him and Andy Dick were too much. Andy Dick was almost the next.

[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: Scott ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Heh, I used to watch News Radio reruns during my lunch hour at work on A&E. Good times.

I don't really remember that line. It seems kind of odd that the News Radio folks would try bumping past the censors like that. I remember the show being pretty humorous in content without having to resort to swearing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>It seems kind of odd that the News Radio folks would try bumping past the censors like that. I remember the show being pretty humorous in content without having to resort to swearing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It could be that Dave Foley said it as an inside joke. A purposeful outtake maybe, and the editing staff didn't catch it and threw it in there. I can't really speculate as I haven't seen the episode, but if it's there, that could be why.