Apple rumored to add second manufacturer for 'iPad 3' production this fall

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is said to be planning to add a second manufacturer this fall, in addition to Foxconn, in order to be able to produce a rumored third-generation iPad for launch this year.

Citing industry sources in Taiwan, DigiTimes reported Monday that likely contenders for the job are Quanta Computer and Pegatron Technology. Pegatron is said to have the advantage, as the company also reportedly received iPhone 5 orders from Apple.

Apple is said to be interested in minimizing production risk after a deadly explosion occurred at a Foxconn plant in May. That incident killed three and left 15 injured.

While the report initially referred to the rumored new tablet as an "iPad 3," it also cited recent rumors that the new model will not be a replacement for the current iPad 2, but will instead expand the product line. One report from last week suggested the new iPad could sport a double-resolution screen of 2048-by-1536 pixels, making the device a so-called "iPad HD."

A separate report, also from last week, referred to such a device as an "iPad 2 Plus." It claimed that overseas component makers have already received requests-for-quotes from Apple for a new high-end iPad model with a greater pixel density display.

Sources in Taiwan reportedly told DigiTimes that the new iPad model will launch at the end of the third quarter or early in the fourth quarter of calendar 2011. Total shipments of all iPad models are expected to top 13 million units in the third quarter.

Earlier this month, the same publication claimed that Apple's suppliers were gearing up for an October launch of a new iPad, as well as the fifth-generation iPhone. Both devices were then said to be unveiled in September and go on sale soon after.

The rumored new iPad is expected to have an even thinner and lighter design. The new display will allegedly have a resolution of about 250 pixels per inch, compared to the 132 pixels per inch of the current iPad.

Rumors of a third iPad model launching in 2011 are not new, and first began to appear before the second-generation iPad was even announced. But Apple appeared to downplay those rumors when it unveiled its new iPad and declared 2011 to be the "Year of iPad 2."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    Baloney.

WS still trying to figure out how to stop the iPad juggernaut. Best bet is to suggest a new iPad model around the corner so why buy now.

Payola lives.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    13M iPads this quarter? Really
  • Reply 3 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm not talking just iPad HD here but an iPad of a different physical size and a larger iPod Touch like device. It really looks like Apple is letting a lot of opportunity slip away here.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It really looks like Apple is letting a lot of opportunity slip away here.

...because the 7" wannabe iPads are such runaway hits?
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

Baloney.

WS still trying to figure out how to stop the iPad juggernaut. Best bet is to suggest a new iPad model around the corner so why buy now.

Payola lives.

An iPad HD would have a superior crushing effect on the competition during the holiday shopping season. Beyond that there is lots of room in Apples line up for more iOS devices.

For example every time I go to an electronics store And look at the GPS systems, with their sub seven inch screens, I cringe. Most of these are 5" class devices and it is very easy to imagine iOS on such a sized "tablet". Made Apple thin they would be very useful.

Beyond that Wall Street does not fight success! Also the vast majority of Apples customers don't care to know what is around the corner. Each turn is a new adventure.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    Okay so let me get this straight - if reports are to be believed, then this Fall we are to expect -
    • iPhone 5

• iPhone 4S/Lite

• iPod Touch 5th Generation

• iPad HD

• iPod Nano

• iPod Shuffle

• iOS 5

• Apple TV Update

• Throw in a Mac update somewhere across the line.

It's all too much! How will Apple cope with the backlog of 2 iPhones, an iPod Touch and a new iPad all at the same time?

My prediction - iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S/Lite and no new iPod Touch or iPad.

If they're going to expand any of their product lines - it'll be the iPhone. The iPad will be ready for that in about a year or so.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    sziehrsziehr Posts: 12member
    This Ipad 3 HD will not drop this year. They are using there billions of dollars to stock pile pre-made ipad 3's this time for the feb launch like last year. This time they figure if they build them for 6 months before launch they will meet the insane demand this time out of the gates.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

...because the 7" wannabe iPads are such runaway hits?

Size has nothing to do with the failures in the market place at the moment. Using your logic the iPod Touch would be a failure. It would be far better to wake up to the reality that iPad is awfully big for some uses.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    We probably need an expandable iPad. Once which expands from 3.5 to 13.5 inches.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

Okay so let me get this straight - if reports are to be believed, then this Fall we are to expect -
    • iPhone 5

• iPhone 4S/Lite

• Possible more phones. Phones for China, phones for pay as you go, phones for the unknown.

Quote:

Possibly a 5" device.

Quote:

• iPad HD

Note that Apple isn't about to stop current iPad production. They have added capacity with a rather amazing ramp up.

Quote:

• iPod Nano

• iPod Shuffle

Trivial.

Quote:

• iOS 5

Most likely a requirement for new devices.

Quote:

• Apple TV Update

Quote:

It's all too much! How will Apple cope with the backlog of 2 iPhones, an iPod Touch and a new iPad all at the same time?

Not at all. You cope by having competent teams in place.

Quote:

That is rather silly as Touch has always been updated in the fall. Remember the holiday season is only weeks away.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

Baloney.

Payola lives.

Yeah, I was in that secret trilateral WS meeting where guys with cigars said "we have to stop this iOS"... it's priority #1 and all that you hear on the street.

Your fanboi nonsense comment is beyond Baloney and three levels smellier than bull manure...

Then I'm sure if it comes out you're one of those loser fanbois that screams "I knew it all along... Apple magical innovation all the way for the win!"

Pathetic
  • Reply 12 of 78
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Quote:

Size has nothing to do with the failures in the market place at the moment. Using your logic the iPod Touch would be a failure. It would be far better to wake up to the reality that iPad is awfully big for some uses.

Oh yeah, because Apple is losing marketshare.

• Reply 13 of 78
    What are the chances that Apple will choose to manufacture some iPads in the USA? Can America still compete with Asia for these kinds of manufacturing jobs, or have Americans decided that having 9.2% unemployment is more dignified than manufacturing the products they design?
  • Reply 14 of 78
    11thindian11thindian Posts: 181member
    Quote:

• iPhone 5

• iPhone 4S/Lite

• iPad HD

• iPod Nano

• iPod Shuffle

• iOS 5

• Apple TV Update

If they're going to expand any of their product lines - it'll be the iPhone. The iPad will be ready for that in about a year or so.

My only contradition would be that if the Air, Mini, and MacPro see revs shortly after Lion, I doubt we'll see any more Mac updates until next year. They'll have run the whole product line in 2011, and I don't think there's another chipset to move to yet.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

• iPhone 5

• iPhone 4S/Lite

It's been suggested that the iPhone-4S rumours have arisen because iPhone-5 test phones were created that used modified iPhone-4 shells.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

My prediction.

A second company for producing all iOS devices to handle demand. Or at least the expansion of Foxconn into their South American factories.

The iPhone 5. There is no such beast at the 4s. The iPhone 4 goes 8GB following the trend.

There is no iPad HD this year. Next year the ipad 3 will perhaps come with a slightly higher DPI etc. What these sources think is a new one this year is actually just test units for next years being produced to check battery etc.

The ipod Nano, shuffle and classic are the same as last year. No camera on the nano etc.

The ipod Touch grows to be in the 5-7" range for better gaming. It still uses iphone apps, not ipad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

What are the chances that Apple will choose to manufacture some iPads in the USA? Can America still compete with Asia for these kinds of manufacturing jobs, or have Americans decided that having 9.2% unemployment is more dignified than manufacturing the products they design?

Too many costs and not enough benefit. Apple would have to build the factories (which comes with all kinds of regulations, zoning etc), train the workers (which comes with its costs), deal with unions and so on. It's more cost effective for them to use existing companies with existing factories etc. Now if the Gov't would step up and make an effort to make it attractive for companies to stay here, that could change. Although not likely wholesale. But I could see perhaps Apple making their North/South American supply here while the rest stays in Asia
  • Reply 17 of 78
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

What are the chances that Apple will choose to manufacture some iPads in the USA?

Why do you ask when you know the answer? No chance at all.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Everybody is down on the two iPhones rumour. Thats a given, I think.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Quote:

That is rather silly as Touch has always been updated in the fall. Remember the holiday season is only weeks away.

iPhones have always been updated in June/July... Things change and Apple is showing that we don't know what to expect from them at this point.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Everybody is down on the two iPhones rumour. Thats a given, I think.

I think it is as well. I mean there's no way they'll call it iPhone 4S but the rumours we've heard about that iPhone are probably being confused with a new lite version of the iPhone in my opinion. This is the perfect time for Apple to expand it's line of iPhones and anyone who says they never will is kidding themselves.