Microsoft shoots down Windows Phone 7 tablet hopes, says tablets are PCs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Windows 8, expected to launch sometime in 2012, will be the only tablet OS issued by Microsoft. It is also suspected that when the next incarnation is released, Windows Phone 7 will be faded out and replaced completely by Windows 8. Ballmer admitted on Monday that sales of Windows Phone 7 have gone from "very small to very small," though he believes the company will make "a lot of progress" in the smartphone market going forward.

Wait does this mean they implied that they are EOL Windows Phone 7? WP7 = Kin 2?

Good luck getting developers to write apps for it...

I hope Nokia got the memo...
  • Reply 22 of 89
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 23 of 89
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Check out this article by Jean-Louis Gassee on Microsoft's evolving

stance on tablets.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

A little perspective:

http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2011/...ts/Report.aspx

That'll change.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Ballmer is hoping that Microsoft's smartphone hardware b!tch, Nokia, will release a magical iPhone-killer. Good luck with that.

A lot of people here in Europe will buy a Nokia just because it is a Nokia. So if it isn't that bad people will buy it in hordes. They are known for their extremely high quality hardware products they used to make in the 90s. (No kidding my 13 year old Nokia still works ).
  • Reply 26 of 89
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

No, I don't think so. In the mind of Ballmer there is a distinction between tablet PCs (which will run some version of Windows) and what he has called "media tablets" like the iPad and Android tablets. It is a convenient splitting of hairs for the express purpose of NOT having their PC marketshare decimated.

The number one and two competitors to Apple in the Tablet market run Linux with Android and WebOS.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The number one and two competitors to Apple in the Tablet market run Linux with Android and WebOS.

and Ballmer will consider them to be media tablets rather than tablet PCs. He is trying to demean all non-Windows tablets by creating a category for them which does not encroach upon Microsoft's market leadership in PCs. I'm not saying he is correct, just trying to explain MSFT's public statements about tablets.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1899438]Claiming that tablets should be considered personal computers rather than new age mobile devices, Microsoft on Tuesday again dashed hopes of tablets running the company's new mobile operating system, Windows Phone 7 OS.

SInce when does MajorCrap decide how to catagorize any and all tablets? To paraphrase Lenoard McCoy: " What the WIndows Phone president has said is uninportant, and we do not hear his words".
  • Reply 29 of 89
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

and Ballmer will consider them to be media tablets rather than tablet PCs. He is trying to demean all non-Windows tablets by creating a category for them which does not encroach upon Microsoft's market leadership in PCs. I'm not saying he is correct, just trying to explain MSFT's public statements about tablets.

That's an interesting take on it, and I think you're right - that's almost certainly what he's hoping to do. Somehow I don't see even the laziest of analysts buying that one though.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

A lot of people here in Europe will buy a Nokia just because it is a Nokia. So if it isn't that bad people will buy it in hordes. They are known for their extremely high quality hardware products they used to make in the 90s. (No kidding my 13 year old Nokia still works ).

Why do people insist on saying Nokias are high quality phones?

I have used a broad range of phones including Nokia, I have sold a broad range of phones including Nokia and of all of them Nokia had the worst build quality of them all.

One model they had we sold 32 and had 30 of them come back with the same fault... the screen smashed when the phone was dropped. It was because of poor design. Meanwhile we sold Motorolas and we had farmers come in asking for their phones be looked at because they had the phone in their pocket and subsequently dropped it into the water trough. Worked fine after a couple of days in the hot water cabinet. Meanwhile the Nokias spat the dummy if it so much as looked at water. We even had one guy bring his Motorola in to replace the battery because their one design flaw was the battery clip. Anyway he needed to replace the battery because he had just dropped the phone from 4 stories onto solid concrete. There was nothing wrong with it except the battery clip. Nokias on the other hand produced cracks and some had broken off plastic as a result of phone vs concrete.

They're better these days but they are still poorly built phones.

I have not had any experience that has led me to believe Nokias are a high quality phone.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Agreed.

But on the other hand, the iPad is the paradigm for the successor to the PC. It serves the same purpose and function that PCs did for the vast majority of casual users, but does it easier and better. PC's will continue to exist for those who need a tool. For those who need an appliance, it will be the iPad or one of those also-rans once they get something close to parity.

So, I guess in a way they are PCs, evolved.

Tablets are not the successor of computers they compliment them. Think of it like bicycles and automobiles your bicycle can get you to point a to b but you want rely on it to replace your car.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitWrangler View Post

"Tablets are PC's", well, that's marketing speak, and why not? Everyone (at least Apple fans) seem to be thinking "oh, here they go again, trying to elevate tablets as touch PC's", when, if you listen carefully, what they're talking about is really migrating PC's (at least the OS) closer to tablets. Which, if you look at Apple with Lion, they are not alone in doing.

Yes, you can find that in there if you listen carefully, I agree. But the directly-stated point remains true as well: they’re still trying to elevate tablets as touch PCs! They really ARE talking about tablets, not only about the OS for conventional keyboard-and-screen PCs.

As for them doing the same thing as Lion... well, we’ll see! Regardless, Microsoft still needs a real tablet platform as well, though they don’t realize it yet.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

That's priceless - by their own definitions their PC marketshare is decimated.

Microsoft never ceases to amaze me... with their stupidity. How is this company still raking in billions of dollars each quarter? Oh, I forgot, through the drug that most of the world is dependent on ie. cheapo crap PCs running a crap OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

Wait does this mean they implied that they are EOL Windows Phone 7? WP7 = Kin 2?

Good luck getting developers to write apps for it...

I hope Nokia got the memo...

Fantastic, isn't it. Microsoft just told the world that Nokia is basing it's future on something that has no future.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Tablets are not the successor of computers they compliment them. Think of it like bicycles and automobiles your bicycle can get you to point a to b but you want rely on it to replace your car.

At this stage tablets are like motorbikes and PCs trucks. In a few years the motorbike will be good enough to be a good compact car.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Can't a successor compliment its predecessor? Anyway, I take your point partially. I should have been more specific. The tablet is more likely to replace the laptop than the desktop for most people. At least it has for me. I have to Mac laptops stacked on the table behind me that I haven't used in months. The iPad is used everyday in place of them. My iMac does all the heavy lifting.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    We need to at least respect Microsoft for having their own philosophy, unlike some other company that just do whatever Apple does.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

A little perspective:

http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2011/...ts/Report.aspx

You have a funny definition of perspective which is not a term I'd apply to a snapshot of one point in time.

Compare that to where tablet sales were 2 years ago. Now that's perspective.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Wow. Just wow.

10 years of utter failure at "windows everywhere" - total embarrassment in mobile by that no-experience-in-the-market upstart Apple... and yet they have learned nothing?

What's that definition of insanity again? Doing the same thing over and expecting a different result?
  • Reply 39 of 89
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Check out this article by Jean-Louis Gassee on Microsoft's evolving

stance on tablets.

I've always like him. Although I was a fan of Be at the time, I do think NeXT was the right move for Apple (I wish I still had my NeVR t-shirt from MacUser!) and I think even Jean-Louis admits now Apple made the right decision. Thanks for reminding me of his blog - I hadn't bookmarked it previously, but I have now!
  • Reply 40 of 89
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Will windows 7 phones be able to upgrade to windows 8?

If not, why would anyone in their right mind buy one?

Apple has seen fit to include prior year models in their OS upgrades, I cannot see why they can't do the same with a Windows phone...

This post just goes to show that Microsoft made a big mistake by calling their phone os "Windows Phone 7." They were wanting to make the name of the phone's os sound like their windows, but it appears people are getting confused about the difference between Windows PHONE 7 and Windows 7. The ironic thing is that the phone os does not really use "windows" in their UI. Now that Windows 8 is being announced, people think this is also the phone os and people want to know if their phone can be updated to WIndows 8. Maybe MS should had called their phone OS Windows Tiles.

Google is probably going to have the same problem with their Chrome name being used for a browser and an operating system. There will likely be a lot of confusion when Chrome starts to mature and there is Chrome 2, 2.1, 2.5 for their netbook os and their browser. It will be highly unlikely that Google will be able to keep both version numbers in sync and that will lead to a lot of confusion.

This makes me glad that Apple chose to not use "OSX mobile" as their phone os name, and even better yet, that they changed the name to iOS, instead of iPhone OS. Apple is one of the few companies that has the guts to drop the past and look to the future. Even doing small things like changing the name of their mobile os just 3 years after it was released because they realized that it was more than just a phone os, unlike Microsoft which clings to the "Windows" name, even though the product (phone) does not use a "windows" UI.