Ram

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi Guys

Just wanted some advice i'd like to upgrade my Ram from 4 GB preferably to 16GB as i believe thats the max capacity this mac can take. i know there are two spare ports to extend. can i put 2 x gig in the other slots that will take me unto 12gb?? i dont see the point in replacing the 2x2gb as it seems 12gb will be more than enough for me. Is this feasible or have i not got a clue?? Also can anyone recommend a good supplier fo RAM? thanks but just wanted some help.

Here's my machine

Model NametiMac (27inch)

Model IdentifiertiMac11,3

Processor NametIntel Core i3

Processor Speedt3.2 GHz

Number Of Processorst1

Total Number Of Corest2

L2 Cache (per core)t256 KB

L3 Cachet4 MB

Memoryt4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speedt5.86 GT/s

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddyfrog View Post

Hi Guys

Just wanted some advice i'd like to upgrade my Ram from 4 GB preferably to 16GB as i believe thats the max capacity this mac can take. i know there are two spare ports to extend. can i put 2 x gig in the other slots that will take me unto 12gb?? i dont see the point in replacing the 2x2gb as it seems 12gb will be more than enough for me. Is this feasible or have i not got a clue?? Also can anyone recommend a good supplier fo RAM? thanks but just wanted some help.

Here's my machine

Model NametiMac (27inch)

Model IdentifiertiMac11,3

Processor NametIntel Core i3

Processor Speedt3.2 GHz

Number Of Processorst1

Total Number Of Corest2

L2 Cache (per core)t256 KB

L3 Cachet4 MB

Memoryt4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speedt5.86 GT/s

I won't hold my breath in anticipation of a reply, but thank you anyway
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddyfrog View Post

I won't hold my breath in anticipation of a reply, but thank you anyway

Are you doing something with the machine that would make 12GB of RAM a useful addition?... or do you just have some cash burning a hole in your pocket? ( I'd hate to toss around terms like "Spec Whore" )

You've got 4 slots ... up to 4GB modules in each ... they don't have to match, so yes ... you can mix different sizes.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Are you doing something with the machine that would make 12GB of RAM a useful addition?... or do you just have some cash burning a hole in your pocket? ( I'd hate to toss around terms like "Spec Whore" )

You've got 4 slots ... up to 4GB modules in each ... they don't have to match, so yes ... you can mix different sizes.

To much Ram you are using for what???
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

To much Ram you are using for what???

Im using CS5 and listening to music and emails, the photos i use are Raw files which are considerably bigger than Jpegs ad it does seem to take a little longer.

If i was a spec whore i probably would have gone for the i7???

I drive a Volvo on Michelins and Ride a BMW on Dunlop, the point being if i can increase the stability and handling when pushing it occasionally to its upper limit then why not?? Albeit i

I have never heard of any one hitting a tree with a Mac. This is simply a request for some help.

Oh yeah i've got loads of cash
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maguromaguro Posts: 65member
    "This is simply a request for some help."

I have the exact same iMac. I ordered two 4GB from OWC for the 2 empty slots for a total of 12GB and it works fine. I also have Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, etc and while I haven't used them all extensively they work great. I could have gone to 16GB but than meant losing the original 4GB. Plus I read on some of the Apple forums that 16GB of some OWC RAM caused problems. Might have been worked out by now. Hope this helps.