Apple begins approving first Lion-ready Mac App Store Apps

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The first Lion-capable apps have begun to appear throughout the Mac App Store in preparation for the forthcoming release of the eighth incarnation of Mac OS X.

Apple sent out emails to developers earlier this week inviting them to submit for release into the Mac App Store applications built to showcase new features in the company's latest operating system update.

As noted by OS X Daily, Apple has already approved several Lion-ready apps such as WordCrasher. According to the app's description, "Wordcrasher" now takes advantage of new application features built into Mac OS X Lion, such as full-screen and resume.

The Cupertino, Calif., based company has also updated its own applications including the iLife '11 suite and Aperture to take full advantage of Lion, building in full screen support on both.

Earlier this week, one developer claimed via Twitter that Apple rejected his Mac App Store app for referencing Lion, though it appears his application for review was submitted before Apple issued its call for Lion apps on Monday.

Apple announced last month that the $29.99 software upgrade would arrive in July exclusively on the Mac App Store and boasting more than 250 new features. AppleInsider subsequently reported that the company was holding off on releasing new hardware until Lion was ready.

The Mac maker issued the Golden Master build of Mac OS X Lion on July 1. Though evidence originally pointed to a launch sometime this week, sources recently suggested that last minute security issues related to the new app resume feature may have caused a minor delay.

Following the release of Mac OS X Lion, Apple is expected to launch a refresh of its ultra-thin MacBook Air notebooks. The portables are expected to include backlit keyboards, Sandy Bridge processors, high-speed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I could be wrong but citing my memory when Apple actually states a month or season for releasing something specific, they tend to drag it out to the last second.

I am beginning to think Lion will be the same way. I would imagine they want as many approved Lion apps as possible in the MAS on launch day.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I could be wrong but citing my memory when Apple actually states a month or season for releasing something specific, they tend to drag it out to the last second.

I am beginning to think Lion will be the same way. I would imagine they want as many approved Lion apps as possible in the MAS on launch day.

Normally, I'd agree. But this time they have held up a major hardware refresh in order to have all the new machines shipped with the newest OS. They wouldn't hold shipment of their best selling line of computers unless the release was imminent.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    I'm impatient for Lion, too, but I'm thinking beyond that. "Lion" is the end of the line for cat-based names. They can't exactly put out "OS X Puddy Tat." So they are going to have to change species. They could go to birds. OS X Condor and OS X Eagle sound nice, but OS X Finch and OS X Vulture won't work. Or dogs! OS X Whippet would be great, but OS X Greyhound would sound like a bus. Then there are fish. They could have OS X Shark, but that's too scary. OS X Guppy and OS X Grouper don't quite make it. What about dinosaurs? OS X Velociraptor has a nice ring to it, but then everyone could say it's a dinosaur. Not good. Or what about OS X itself? Eventually they will have to go to eleven. OS XI looks dumb, and if they move up to the seventh century and use arabic numerals, OS 11 looks like OS two. I'm in suspenders. What are they going to do?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

I'm impatient for Lion, too, but I'm thinking beyond that. "Lion" is the end of the line for cat-based names. They can't exactly put out "OS X Puddy Tat." So they are going to have to change species. They could go to birds. OS X Condor and OS X Eagle sound nice, but OS X Finch and OS X Vulture won't work. Or dogs! OS X Whippet would be great, but OS X Greyhound would sound like a bus. Then there are fish. They could have OS X Shark, but that's too scary. OS X Guppy and OS X Grouper don't quite make it. What about dinosaurs? OS X Velociraptor has a nice ring to it, but then everyone could say it's a dinosaur. Not good. Or what about OS X itself? Eventually they will have to go to eleven. OS XI looks dumb, and if they move up to the seventh century and use arabic numerals, OS 11 looks like OS two. I'm in suspenders. What are they going to do?

OS X Ocelot?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

OS X Ocelot?

Jack the Cat.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

OS X Ocelot?

Ocelot you'll like a lot, but Puddy Tat is where it's at.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Come on man there are only 2 Names Left for apple and 32 different cats so they have a lot to choose and there could be 2 more system: 10,8 10,9 and they could go to AOS( Apple Operative System) merging iOs And Os X(not MAC os x) or just get names different like windows (vista, Me, XP).
  • Reply 8 of 16
    sticknicksticknick Posts: 123member
    Quote:

There is a full merge coming. I can feel it. I can see the iPad, the MacBook Air, iOS with iCloud all merging into one.

All one has to do is look at the products Apple has released since the iPhone debuted to see where they're heading. They've been releasing products that are

1) touch/gesture based for years (Magic Mouse/Trackpad)

2) super portable (MBA, iDevices)

3) making the pc peripherals smaller (the wireless keyboard people bitched about - the keys are the same size and are spaces apart exactly like the landscape keyboard on the iPad)

4) slowly making their software touch capable (think of how people whined about the iMovie refresh only to laud it on the iPad ... The same thing is happening with FCP as far as I'm concerned)

In a nutshell, I believe Apple has been training people. There is more coming. Lion/iOS 5/MBA refresh will be just another piece to the puzzle.

This is what the "competition" isn't seeing. They see "touch" and "tablet" and puke out products but I think Apple has something bigger in mind.

Of course, I could just be another whacked out Kool-Aid drinker so you may want to disregard my rambling.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Your reference to Tweety Bird was unexpected, but made me giggle, having grown up watching those cartoons!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I'd say we'll see iOS 6, maybe iOS 7 and then perhaps a Snow Leopard-esque minor update ie. OS X 10.8 Snow Lion* and by 10.9** and iOS 8, we will indeed see a merger Apple OS.

It just makes sense. They bring the best of Mac to the iPhone and the iPad then the best of iPad back to the Mac, and so on until they are essentially the same - and eventually they will be.

* I don't actually expect SNOW Lion but something along those lines. Could I suggest 'Mufasa'?

** Wouldn't it be nice if 10.8 and iOS 8 lined up and signified the merge?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    What about Felix...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    y2any2an Posts: 186member
    Isn't it obvious they aren't going to release it before the earnings call?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    The problem with postulating an OS X and iOS merger is that it creates exactly the type of scenario that Apple seeks to avoid.

Mac OS - Keyboard Mouse driven and there is a lot of legacy API to deal with.

iOS - touch input with far less legacy API to deal with.

Then there's the hardware.

Mac OS - Intel or PPC based....now Intel only.

iOS - ARM based.

There's little reason to merge the two. If iOS had to support legacy API, Apple would have to port over deprecated stuff like Quicktime 32 and we know that ain't happening.

The trajectory appears to to more of a sharing of code where it is feasible coupled with the highlighting of the unique features of each platform.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Ocelot you'll like a lot, but Puddy Tat is where it's at.

Napoleon dynamite says the merging of osx and ios will be called "LIGER" a cross between lion and tiger, it is bred for its powers in magic
  • Reply 15 of 16
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Mac OS 10.8 Gryphon! (Or, as previously suggested, Manticore!)

• Reply 16 of 16
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

Napoleon dynamite says the merging of osx and ios will be called "LIGER" a cross between lion and tiger, it is bred for its powers in magic

Ha Ha... Great movie, that.