Would Like a iPad2

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I have never had an iPad and really think an iPad 2 would be something good for me and my work. I am still not clear how to make the wifi and 3G connection secure? I guess I would need both. I se people like I teach med students and most of them have iPad2 now and I am not sure how they connect to a secure wireless connection but I assume oit is the 3G or the WiFI.

Can somebody explain to me who has a real hard time understanding this technology, I know I teach med students but I can't grasp the use fo these apple machines. I still have not taken the leap and purchased an iPhone from Verizon, but that is another story.

If I want to get the new iPad, is it best to get the 3G (or are they coming out with a 4G soon) and the WiFI? Do both have a way to make the connections secure? I am not clear on why one would use the 3G wireless connection opposed to the wifi connection, except at a hotspot the wifi might be better but then I am dealing with the lack of a secure wireless connection again.

Any help with understanding these 2 ways the iPad 2 can connect wirelessly and why one would get one over the other? if you get the 3G do you have to sign up with a carrier? Can you still use the wifi is you just have the 3G connection?

Is the learning curve pretty easy on these iPad2s? is the iPad 2 a much better machine then the iPad? Do you see an iPad 3 in the near future with maybe 4G?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Frankly I'm not sure I can clear everything up.

In fact I won't try. Instead what I'm going to suggest is that security is a complex issue and involves more than the RF connection (3G or WiFi). If you have real security issues I'd suggest highering a consultant to explain the various exposures you will have.

Reading the post below leaves me with the impression that you are not up to speed with regard to networking technology. Further being involved in the medical industry implies that you have to meet conditions that others may not have too. Here I'm talking about patient data security and privacy laws. Frankly I'm not up to speed on these issues myself.

Even if somebody else should happen to post more useful info I'd take it with a grain of salt. The problem is again laws specifically related to patient privacy. You really want to know that you did the right thing.

In a more general way, there are risks to using RF based networking that you don't have with other systems. That is a reality, however they are just additional risks that can be dealt with.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kooler View Post

I have never had an iPad and really think an iPad 2 would be something good for me and my work. I am still not clear how to make the wifi and 3G connection secure? I guess I would need both. I se people like I teach med students and most of them have iPad2 now and I am not sure how they connect to a secure wireless connection but I assume oit is the 3G or the WiFI.

Can somebody explain to me who has a real hard time understanding this technology, I know I teach med students but I can't grasp the use fo these apple machines. I still have not taken the leap and purchased an iPhone from Verizon, but that is another story.

If I want to get the new iPad, is it best to get the 3G (or are they coming out with a 4G soon) and the WiFI? Do both have a way to make the connections secure? I am not clear on why one would use the 3G wireless connection opposed to the wifi connection, except at a hotspot the wifi might be better but then I am dealing with the lack of a secure wireless connection again.

Any help with understanding these 2 ways the iPad 2 can connect wirelessly and why one would get one over the other? if you get the 3G do you have to sign up with a carrier? Can you still use the wifi is you just have the 3G connection?

Is the learning curve pretty easy on these iPad2s? is the iPad 2 a much better machine then the iPad? Do you see an iPad 3 in the near future with maybe 4G?

Thanks.