Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as Wednesday

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple as early as Wednesday will launch two highly anticipated products: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Airs, AppleInsider has learned.

According to people with proven track records who would be in a position to know, the new product launches are set to occur later this week. Specifically, one person said the products would be released on Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. Eastern.

The latest details align with what AppleInsider was told earlier this month, when it reported that new MacBook Air models with backlit keyboards and Thunderbolt ports would launch the week of July 21.

Those details were reaffirmed late last week in a separate report that corroborated other details, including the fact that Apple is expected to do away with the entry-level 64GB solid-state flash hard drive option. Instead, the new MacBook Airs are expected to have a minimum of 128GB in capacity.

The new notebooks, according to Concord Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, are also expected to come with 4GB of RAM as the standard. That extra memory will allow the systems to better run Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple's next-generation operating system, also said to become available this week.

Apple has been holding off on the introduction of new Mac hardware until it finally releases Lion. Apple has not offered a specific launch date for the operating system, only promising that it will become available on the Mac App Store for $29.99 at some point in July.

A few weeks ago, Apple began undertaking preparatory measures to unveil Lion. While it was initially believed that the operating system could have gone on sale as soon as last week, there have been rumors of last-minute holdups associated with the logistics and infrastructure related to Apple's switch to a digital distribution method through the Mac App Store.

The Golden Master of Lion was seeded to developers on July 1. The term "Golden Master" means that the software is viewed as a final build that will be identical to the software released to the general public.

While Lion and the new MacBook Air models are said to be set to launch this week, there has been no specific indication given regarding any other hardware. However, Apple provided its own evidence of a forthcoming refresh to its LED Cinema Display last week, when it posted images on its site showing a Thunderbolt-equipped display with the new part number "MC914."

Supply of Apple's white MacBook has also been severely constrained since late June, suggesting a change to the product could be forthcoming. However, AppleInsider has received no indication of an imminent hardware refresh.

That would leave just the Mac mini and Mac Pro as the only Mac hardware not updated in 2011. In June, CNet reported that Apple planned to update both the Mac Pro and Mac mini either at the end of July or the first week of August. The Mac mini was last refreshed in June 2010, while the Mac Pro was last updated a month later, in July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    If MacBook Airs come with 4GB RAM as standard, then the next refresh of the Mac mini and the white MacBook should also come with 4GB RAM as minimum. All Macs will need at least 4GB to run Lion.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    I'm planning to buy a Mac Pro when the new model is released in a few weeks. I am retaining my Mac Mini attached to a 32-inch LCD, i.e. using it both as a media device and as a spare computer.

My question is, when Lion comes out later this week, should I spend the $30 on the new software for the Mini or will I be able to update the Mini to Lion using the discs provided with the new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I'm planning to buy a Mac Pro when the new model is released in a few weeks. I am retaining my Mac Mini attached to a 32-inch LCD, i.e. using it both as a media device and as a spare computer.

My question is, when Lion comes out later this week, should I spend the $30 on the new software for the Mini or will I be able to update the Mini to Lion using the discs provided with the new Mac Pro.

If the new Mac Pro comes with disks (not sure anyone knows at this point) they would almost certainly be software restore disks which would not work on other models. Spend the $30.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

If the new Mac Pro comes with disks (not sure anyone knows at this point) they would almost certainly be software restore disks which would not work on other models. Spend the $30.

That's what I suspected would be the case. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 105
    dooghdoogh Posts: 37member
    From my experience, the discs contain the drivers for THAT computer. So, spend the money. Only the $30 standalone software tends to be a universal disc.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    raywkfraywkf Posts: 2member
    Will this new mac book air launch worldwide at the same time or just US for the moment?
  • Reply 7 of 105
    I just purchased a MacBook Pro. I know I can get Lion through the free up-to-date program. I am wondering if Apple will allow me to then install Lion (also free) on my year-old iMac. My understanding is that all apps obtained through the Mac App store can be installed on all your Mac's.
  • Reply 8 of 105
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I wonder when we are going to get iWork 11, I assume it will come out at the same time as some of it's features will be lion exclusives.

Not heard anything on the new iWork for months, it had better rock!
  • Reply 9 of 105
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

The two disks that come with new Apple computers are machine specific, both make and model. Typically, neither the OS X disk nor the applications disk can be installed on another machine (i.e., different make and model).

As the Lion purchase will be the first OS download from the App Store, based in the probable size of the download (measured in Gb) and the number of potential downloads, I sure hope there's sufficient server capacity to handle this 'event'. Me, I think I'll wait a few days until the initial demand dies down.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I just purchased a MacBook Pro. I know I can get Lion through the free up-to-date program. I am wondering if Apple will allow me to then install Lion (also free) on my year-old iMac. My understanding is that all apps obtained through the Mac App store can be installed on all your Mac's.

At this time it would appear that you will be able to. Your understanding is correct.
  • Reply 11 of 105
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    That's what people said last week! Why can't Apple just go on the record and give us a day? It's got to be out within two weeks anyway, just narrow it down Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 105
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

Personally, I doubt it. I believe the offer is for all apps *purchased* through the Mac App store.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

The two disks that come with new Apple computers are machine specific, both make and model. Typically, neither the OS X disk nor the applications disk can be installed on another machine (i.e., different make and model).

As the Lion purchase will be the first OS download from the App Store, based in the probable size of the download (measured in Gb) and the number of potential downloads, I sure hope there's sufficient server capacity to handle this 'event'. Me, I think I'll wait a few days until the initial demand dies down.

If there any nasty surprises, there's an advantage to not being first in line to acquire such a drastic re-thinking of the OS.

The problem is going to be finding the patience to wait out those first few days. It is the smart thing to do, though.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    I hope it's the case, but it seems as if it would step on news of what's supposed to be a positive earnings report. Maybe they'll hold off until the afternoon and end up dominating two tech news cycles.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I wonder when we are going to get iWork 11, I assume it will come out at the same time as some of it's features will be lion exclusives.

Not heard anything on the new iWork for months, it had better rock!

I certainly hope so. iWork '09 is ready for an update, and my guess would be that the major points holding it up so far have been the Lion release and the polishing of the iOS versions. With the iOS releases being fleshed out and largely completed, and Lion coming out very soon, I would reckon we should be seeing it shortly.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    Quote:

Personally, I doubt it. I believe the offer is for all apps *purchased* through the Mac App store.

Exactly. If you got Lion free with the computer, you didn't buy it through the store and thus won't be able to re-downoad it on another machine.

Lots of folks have iLife 11 for example, but didn't purchase it through the store, so it doesn't show as "purchased" or "installed" even though it's the same product.
  • Reply 17 of 105
    Quote:

That's logical until you get to the point were you have to think that they've got to le you redownload it if you ever have to reinstall, likely putting it in your "purchased" tab, thus enabling you to upgrade any of your Macs. Also, you can just copy the Lion install from your one computer and just copy it over to the other to install. Either way you're set.
  • Reply 18 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Exactly. If you got Lion free with the computer, you didn't buy it through the store and thus won't be able to re-downoad it on another machine.

Lots of folks have iLife 11 for example, but didn't purchase it through the store, so it doesn't show as "purchased" or "installed" even though it's the same product.

Those were boxed software. Lion is digital-download only, likely being given for free to recent Mac owners by redemption codes. See above for further info.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    Quote:

If MacBook Airs come with 4GB RAM as standard, then the next refresh of the Mac mini and the white MacBook should also come with 4GB RAM as minimum. All Macs will need at least 4GB to run Lion.

not true, Lion GM runs perfect on my Intel Core 2 Duo (2,13) macbook air with 2GB or RAM
  • Reply 20 of 105
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

This isn't true. The minimum system requirement for Lion is 2GB of ram. I have no doubt it will run better with 4, and even better with 8, but the requirement is 2GB.