Having trouble installing WD scorpio blue 320GB SATA drive in my 2.16 Core 2 duo MBP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I tried to install a WD scorpio blue 320GB SATA drive in my MBP 2.16GHz core two duo (later version) and when I turn on the computer, I get a flashing folder (which is what I expected). However, when I reboot with the 10.6 install disk in the CD drive, the screen either stays white or I get the flashing folder.

Anybody know if there are jumper settings I need to set?

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

However, when I reboot with the 10.6 install disk in the CD drive, the screen either stays white or I get the flashing folder.

It doesn't boot to the disc automatically. After the startup sound, hold Option and pick the disc or hold S.

Quote:

Anybody know if there are jumper settings I need to set?

This isn't a PC.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It doesn't boot to the disc automatically. After the startup sound, hold Option and pick the disc or hold S.

Hmmm, I didn't try that.

When I restarted the MBP with the 10.6 install disk, I held down the C key which should have made it start from the CD.

You sure there are no jumper settings needed?

And thanks for the suggestions
  • Reply 3 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

You sure there are no jumper settings needed?

I'd personally go with auto-select and not master or slave but it should work fine on any setting. Older machines had to be told which to go with and likely still some PCs.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd personally go with auto-select and not master or slave but it should work fine on any setting. Older machines had to be told which to go with and likely still some PCs.

How in the world are you supposed to change jumper settings on a SATA drive?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How in the world are you supposed to change jumper settings on a SATA drive?

I forgot the master/slave configs are just for PATA drives. SATA drives can use jumpers for other things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDPOpBi2gtE

but it shouldn't affect the drive in terms of mounting or boot order.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

What is auto-select? Is that where you just drop it in out of the box as is?

I'm also wondering if the issue is the WD drive being a SATA 3GB speed while my MBP is a SATA 1.5GB speed. I'm not sure my computer can handle the faster drive interface.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

What is auto-select? Is that where you just drop it in out of the box as is?

Auto-select was a jumper setting on old PATA drives that didn't designate whether a drive was master or slave. With SATA, it doesn't matter.

Quote:

I'm also wondering if the issue is the WD drive being a SATA 3GB speed while my MBP is a SATA 1.5GB speed. I'm not sure my computer can handle the faster drive interface.

If you mean the flashing folder issue, your probably haven't selected the startup disk. In system prefs, go to startup disk and choose the drive you want to boot from by default.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

If you mean the flashing folder issue, your probably haven't selected the startup disk. In system prefs, go to startup disk and choose the drive you want to boot from by default.

Well, I saw the flashing folder when I put in the new blank HD and this is what I expected. However, when I loaded the 10.6 CD install disk after the new HD was in, rebooted, and held down the C key, it would not boot off the CD.

Anyway, I returned the HD back to Bestbuy and the Apple guy there said that my 2.16 Core two duo (late version) probably can't handle a 320GB HD, so this might have been my problem. I would have thought it could have held a drive much bigger than 320 given that it was made around 2006.

I appreciate your suggestions Marvin...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Well, I saw the flashing folder when I put in the new blank HD and this is what I expected. However, when I loaded the 10.6 CD install disk after the new HD was in, rebooted, and held down the C key, it would not boot off the CD.

Anyway, I returned the HD back to Bestbuy and the Apple guy there said that my 2.16 Core two duo (late version) probably can't handle a 320GB HD, so this might have been my problem. I would have thought it could have held a drive much bigger than 320 given that it was made around 2006.

I'd expect it to handle 320GB ok. Sometimes you need to hold alt/option to boot from the disc properly. If you already have a working drive, an easier method would be to just clone from one drive to the next.

You get the 320GB drive and put it in an inexpensive USB enclosure e.g

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-5-SATA-Lap...ht_2596wt_1397

Then you can get Carbon Copy Cloner:

http://www.bombich.com/

and just clone directly from your internal to the external, making it bootable. Reboot holding alt and choose the external drive to check it boots. When you install it, it should boot up with all your OS and account.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

I'd expect it to handle 320GB ok. Sometimes you need to hold alt/option to boot from the disc properly. If you already have a working drive, an easier method would be to just clone from one drive to the next.

You get the 320GB drive and put it in an inexpensive USB enclosure e.g

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-5-SATA-Lap...ht_2596wt_1397

Then you can get Carbon Copy Cloner:

http://www.bombich.com/

and just clone directly from your internal to the external, making it bootable. Reboot holding alt and choose the external drive to check it boots. When you install it, it should boot up with all your OS and account.

Thanks, I'm going to do some research to see if it can hold a 320GB drive and if so, I'll give it another shot trying this method.

Thanks again for the suggestions...