Golden Master copies of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion arrive on hard disks at Apple stores

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hard disk drives bearing the Golden Master version of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion have arrived at Apple's retail stores ahead of an imminent launch, according to a new report.

MacRumors said on Monday it had confirmed that Apple retail stores "have begun receiving final copies" of Lion. The company has reportedly shipped the OS on hard drives intended for store demo computers.

The "Golden Master" build of Lion was first seeded to developers on July 1. Lion, which contains hundreds of new features, will be the first OS X release to be distributed through the Mac App Store, where it will sell for $29.99.

Proven sources indicated to AppleInsider earlier Monday that Apple will release Lion alongside new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Airs as early as Wednesday. According to one person familiar with the matter, the products will be released at 8:30 a.m. Eastern on Wednesday.

Apple began retail preparations for Mac OS X Lion earlier this month. Though various reports had suggested that Lion would arrive last week, rumors then emerged that last minute issues with the upgrade had pushed it back to the week of July 21.

In addition to high-speed Thunderbolt ports, the new MacBook Air models are expected to include Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors and minimum RAM and SSD specs of 4GB and 128GB respectively.

Apple uncharacteristically tipped its hand last week by revealing images of an upcoming Thunderbolt LED Cinema Display, though no information was given regarding the release date for the new displays. Also, the Mac Mini and Mac Pro have been rumored for a release in late July or early August, though further evidence of an upcoming release has been scant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Edited for truth.

"Being on the Internet means never having to say your sorry."
  • Reply 2 of 33
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Wow this confirms a rumor I heard somewhere that it will be released soon.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Sounds Legit

• Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Edited for truth.

"Being on the Internet means never having to say your sorry."

Say *your* sorry.

BTW, I suppose the HDD is to get identical deployment across the store cloned from just one disk. Or could it be they have to swap the HDDs. Better still they came in thunderbolt-equipped external HDD for quick booting without installing/upgrading a new OS. See, no downloading from the inter-web.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I've been running it on an 17" A1229 model MB Pro with 4 gigs of RAM and it runs great, after a fresh install though. There was some slowness when I upgraded from SL.

I've been wanting to replace my MB Pro for Lion, but will probably wait until 10.8 (Sabretooth...lol).
  • Reply 6 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder if they have a LAN-based copy that the Mac App Store is intelligent enough to access if a customer is using the Store's WiFi to get the 4GB app in a couple minutes.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I've been running it ...and it runs great, after a fresh install though.

That's been my experience too. Fresh install Lion if you can.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I know it has been discussed, but how exactly do you do an erase and install with a download OS update?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I know it has been discussed, but how exactly do you do an erase and install with a download OS update?

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-...b-flash-drive/

Make sure you back up....
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-...b-flash-drive/

Make sure you back up....

Thanks for the link. Instead of using a flash drive, would an external HD also suffice? Thanks!
  • Reply 11 of 33
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Say *your* sorry.

BTW, I suppose the HDD is to get identical deployment across the store cloned from just one disk. Or could it be they have to swap the HDDs. Better still they came in thunderbolt-equipped external HDD for quick booting without installing/upgrading a new OS. See, no downloading from the inter-web.

They should have to download their copies from the Mac App store like the rest of us peons.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMatthew View Post

Thanks for the link. Instead of using a flash drive, would an external HD also suffice? Thanks!

Not that I know of, but you can use target disk mode.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Not that I know of, but you can use target disk mode.

You can use any partition you want. USB flash drive, USB HDD, USB SSD, SD Card, DVD, internal HDD partition, etc.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    So, if a developer already has a GM copy of Lion on his/her Mac, do they have to pay the $30 to be legit in Apple's eyes or are they already set (because they are a developer)?
  • Reply 15 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

So, if a developer already has a GM copy of Lion on his/her Mac, do they have to pay the $30 to be legit in Apple's eyes or are they already set (because they are a developer)?

If the build number is different, you'd probably want to upgrade anyway. I'd imagine if the builds are the same, you'd be fine.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    twelvetwelve Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

Funny you should ask that question. I was wondering the same thing.

Since all of the Snow Leopard versions were available on the ADC, I presume we also get access to Lion and Lion Server. However, developers must still pay attention to the licensing agreement...namely, no commercial use and technically it's supposed to be for development purposes only, not daily use.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hmm... I'll give it 3 or 4 months before installing. Always best to let the early adopters suffer first.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I concur.

Upgrading from Snow Leopard slowed me down, even if I repaired the permissions.

I created a Mac OS X Lion Install DVD with Toast Titanium, then backed up my computer one last time with Time Machine. Using System Preferences, I set the start up disk to be the Mac OS X Lion Install DVD and restarted the Mac with the Mac OS X Lion Install DVD. I erased the Macintosh HD and installed Mac OS X Lion. Finally, I used my last Time Machine backup to recover my files.

Please note that Time Machine from Mac OS X Lion does not recognize your previous backups from Snow Leopard, so that your first backup will cover the entirety of your Macintosh HD. In my case, I had to erase my Snow Leopard TimeMachine backups to make room for the new Lion TimeMachine backup.

All is fine.

• Reply 19 of 33
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    If they don't release a hard copy of this OS, I'm probably not going to upgrade until I absolutely must...
  • Reply 20 of 33
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    Woo! Can't wait for this! Hope the new Macbook Airs live up to rumors and don't disappoint!