O.K. i5 or i7 which to get----

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Planning on getting a new Macbook Air 13 inch--but i5 vs i7 is my problem---

The $100 difference is no big deal , but I am concerned about 1. Heat and 2. Power usage and also

whether or not I even will see or need the 15% or so increase in speed---

I am planning to do Photoshop, web surfing and the usual email stuff---no video editing, and no

gaming ---any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Planning on getting a new Macbook Air 13 inch--but i5 vs i7 is my problem---

The $100 difference is no big deal , but I am concerned about 1. Heat and 2. Power usage and also

whether or not I even will see or need the 15% or so increase in speed---

I am planning to do Photoshop, web surfing and the usual email stuff---no video editing, and no

gaming ---any suggestions?

With Photo shop I would buy the i5 which is plenty for your needs.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Thanks--that's what I thought--but I needed some support in my decision
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Thanks--that's what I thought--but I needed some support in my decision

I'm like the above, but I will also be running Fusion with a VM-- is there anything that should drive me to the i7?

Thanks,

Gary
  • Reply 4 of 8
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    I have the i7 2.9 GHz on a mid-2010 MBP. It runs very well and I guess it would be very good under i5 as well. I also used VMWare on my MacBook (Black) with a 2.4 GHz Core2Duo and had no difficulties. I also used VMWare Fusion on an old iMac with a 2.0 GHz CoreDuo and it ran very well, too. I think you'll be fine with the i5.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    If you look at the benchmarks by barefeats, you'll see that there is a decent different between the i7 and i5. If you're looking for longevity, definitely recommend the i7, it is well worth the update. The i7 mba is ALMOST on par with a core i5 mac mini. If you're going to be doing photoshop work, definitely go with the i7.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

If you look at the benchmarks by barefeats, you'll see that there is a decent different between the i7 and i5. If you're looking for longevity, definitely recommend the i7, it is well worth the update. The i7 mba is ALMOST on par with a core i5 mac mini. If you're going to be doing photoshop work, definitely go with the i7.

The 17 inch to big and heavy to carry around and to much money also.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

The 17 inch to big and heavy to carry around and to much money also.

We aren't talking about monitors and the 17" monitor. We're talking about the processors. The Core i5 vs the Core i7. (it's kind of hard to make out, you can zoom in to see it's actually an i not a 1)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

We aren't talking about monitors and the 17" monitor. We're talking about the processors. The Core i5 vs the Core i7. (it's kind of hard to make out, you can zoom in to see it's actually an i not a 1)

Both are good processors depends what you want to do with them and your needs.